What's new

Discuss review of Antique Double-Bladed Razor

Thanks for the review, Ignatz. I think it's really cool you honed it up and shaved with it.

It looks a bit inconvenient though, with no tail, and that second blade still in the scales. How did you end up holding it while you were shaving?

Bjrn;

I did, indeed, have to take a rather unconventional grip on the razor while shaving.

I clamped the tang of the blade I was using between thumb and forefinger, sometimes on the sides of the tang, sometimes top and bottom (sort of). At the same time, my other two fingers and the pinky were wrapped around the scales and extra (folded-in) blade, to prevent them from flopping around at all, but mostly to compensate for the weird balance.

I wouldn't rate this one as exactly comfortable or easy to use. On the other hand, I'll bet they sold a cartload of these before the people on the street caught onto the difficulties. :biggrin:

So I guess you won't be mounting two normal blades you have into a double-razor thing then? ;)

Nice experience anyhow, and not a bad deal for 15 euros.

Thank you for the review!

It's the first shave report using such a razor that I have seen (I think all the others who have one are just looking at it, lol)

Cheers
Ivo

While cruising the internet last night, I had the good fortune to stumble upon a French web site devoted to razors. :biggrin: Even better, it has a special page with images of double-bladed razors similar to the one in my article.

The French have a special term for this type of double-bladed razor. They refer to it as a "rasoir papillon" which in English translates as "butterfly razor".

It seems that my 'guesstimate' of the razor's age (middle 1800's) is rather on the mark. Additionally, it appears that this was not an uncommon razor form for its day.

A visit to this French web site is well worth your time, even if you don't speak the language. Enjoy!

http://razorland55.free.fr/papillon.htm

http://razorland55.free.fr/index.htm

- Ignatz

Top Bottom