What's new

Easiest pistol to operate/strip/clean for women

Women sometimes have problems due to hand size/strength operating, stripping, cleaning handguns; which pistols/revolvers do you consider easiest for them?

Thank you,

Richard

Last edited:
+1 on a revolver rather than a pistol. Revolvers are dead nuts simple to operate and perform basic cleaning and maintenance on.

It's not hard to strip and clean most pistols, but it is definitely more involved than a revolver.

+1 on a revolver rather than a pistol. Revolvers are dead nuts simple to operate and perform basic cleaning and maintenance on.

It's not hard to strip and clean most pistols, but it is definitely more involved than a revolver.

Just so the OP is not confused. A revolver is a pistol.

Hammerless .38 revolver, can't go wrong there.

We both have similar taste in guns. My recommendation is as followshttp://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=295&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=CC2 Taurus has a lifetime warranty. Just when you buy your gun make sure you tighten the yoke screw. For some reason they dont tighten them down on some of there pistols, not a big deal though. Great guns especially for the money. You will be paying for quality and not a big name with this one.They have some of the best grips on their guns, a real comfort and joy to shoot.

I actually think that pistols are defined as a subset of handguns distinct from revolvers, single shots, derringers, etc. Therefore a semi auto is a pistol but a revolver is not. They are both handguns however.

And I will agree that generally speaking a revolver is easier to operate and clean. Cleaning one doesn't even require taking off the cylinder, just opening it like you would to load. Occasionally you might want to remove the grips to clean as well, but that's a pretty simple exercise too. Even very simple semi-auto designs are more complicated to take apart for cleaning.

Of semi-auto designs I have personally taken apart (a pretty limited group) I think the Sig 226 DA/SA was the simplest. Unload, lock the slide back, rotate the disassembly lever and remove the slide. From there just take the guide rod/spring off and pull out the barrel. Pretty simple. Glocks aren't too much more complicated. 1911s are a fair bit harder (still easy once you know what you are doing).

642 S&W .38 Special (Airweight J frame)

I believe this is the exact weapon my parents have for home defense because my Mom is very comfortable using it.

I know when my parents selected it they went to a range and tried a number of different weapons on the range, and well as field stripping. The "rental" fee and instruction is usually fairly reasonable, and not much compared to buying a couple different weapons.

Phil

I would suggest the Kel-Tec P-3AT.
It's a 6 shot double action only, concealed hammer auto in .380.

This would be a good choice for a woman. The .380 is more forgiving when it comes to recoil which leads to more practice and ACCURACY.

Accuracy is the key. I know many will say the .380 is anemic when it comes to stopping power but how many of us would want to get hit with one?

I know I wouldn't.

It will conceal better in a purse because of its lightweight and slim profile.
An additional magazine ups the power to 12 rounds.
Cost is around $300.00

Here's the link..........
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/p-3at/

You think she is going to clean it?!?!?!:lol:

My wife loves to shoot. Has 4 pistols and 2 rifles. She has never cleaned a one! We come back she says that was fun, off to get my nails done and bails! I am the armorer it appears. But in keeping with the thread...

.38 Revolver

Beretta, Sig for auto with Glock close after.

Jay

A revolver is a handgun, and a pistol is a handgun, but whether they should both be called pistols is often hotly debated. It's kinda' off topic so it doesn't belong here, but it is not nearly as black and white as you stated it.

For the OP's purposes, if he is shopping for a handgun for a lady, he will find that manufacturers classify their handguns as either pistols or revolvers, so it is an important detail. Pistols in this context being a semi-automatic, magazine-fed handgun in which the chamber is integrated into the barrel.

Richard, if you go looking for revolvers under the 'pistols' section of a manufacturer's web site, you won't find a single one, so be sure to check both ('pistols' and 'revolvers') for something suitable. :thumbup1:

Semi-Auto: Glock, pretty much 4 parts you have to clean regularly. My wife carries one on duty and off duty and cleans it often but she has short nails and still has trouble pulling the slide lock to remove the barrel.

We also have a Springfield XD and the slide lock is a lever which is just as easy for me but she has no trouble just moving the slide lock up.

Revolver: Pretty much any.

Semi-Auto: Glock, pretty much 4 parts you have to clean regularly. My wife carries one on duty and off duty and cleans it often but she has short nails and still has trouble pulling the slide lock to remove the barrel.

The slide lock on the Glocks is pretty short. I can see how it could be a PITA for some. I believe there are aftermarket slide locks that are a teeny bit longer so that you can get a better grip on them. I honestly don't know if they'd interfere with a holster, though.

The slide lock on the Glocks is pretty short. I can see how it could be a PITA for some. I believe there are aftermarket slide locks that are a teeny bit longer so that you can get a better grip on them. I honestly don't know if they'd interfere with a holster, though.

She's taken it to the Rangemaster at the department and since it is a department issued weapon she can't do anything to it and told her to grow a pair slide it harder:laugh:. I think it more has to do with the way she modified her hand position when she slides the slide back but she gets it just isn't pretty.

3" barrel J frame Smith and Wesson all steel. The extra inch makes aiming and fire control much easier and gives a little more velocity. The steel frame is still not heavy but is much easier to control and more comfortable to shoot, esp follow up shots. They make them in 38 sp and 357-I would suggest only 38. This is the gun I taught my wife with. She is thin,not terribly strong and was a novice to shooting and did great with it.

I would suggest the Kel-Tec P-3AT.
It's a 6 shot double action only, concealed hammer auto in .380.

This would be a good choice for a woman. The .380 is more forgiving when it comes to recoil which leads to more practice and ACCURACY.

Accuracy is the key. I know many will say the .380 is anemic when it comes to stopping power but how many of us would want to get hit with one?

I know I wouldn't.

It will conceal better in a purse because of its lightweight and slim profile.
An additional magazine ups the power to 12 rounds.
Cost is around $300.00

Here's the link..........
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/p-3at/

have you ever actually shot a P-3AT? I own one. The recoil is anything but mild and if you can keep your shots on a small paper plate at 10 feet you are doing very good. the slide is very heavy to operate and doesn't lock open after the last round is fired so you don't only have to drop the mag and insert another you also have to manually work the slide.

Walther PPK and PPK/S are ideal for women as well. Simple field break-down in a few seconds. Small enough for a good fit in most women's hands. Also size is great for CWC.

Top Bottom