What's new

Australian Whisky

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Following an article in the Newspaper(The Age) in November 2009 (that I kept), I decided to post this so I can share what we have down under.

I have no idea how good the stuff is or how available it is inside/outside Oz, but I will make sure that I will try all 3 bottles mentionned in the article.

If someone already tried one of those, please, share. I am no whisky expert, just someone who enjoy some here and there.

The first bottle is called Limeburners from Albany, Western Australia, Single barrel edition only. Good between 6-8 years but best after 12-18 years. Bottle varies between $125-$200 AUD.

Second, Bakery Hill, single malt Whisky made by David Baker in Mount Dandenong, Victoria since 1999. This one is made from Jack Daniel's barrels in a limited edition. Apparently, I will need to be on a waiting list to get this one as they often run out. Good article if interested. Retail price is around $80-$100 AUD.

Last, Lark single malt Whisky from Tasmania. This one seems to be the easiest to get down under. Another interesting article about Lark. Retail price around $125 AUD.

I will probably get on the list for Bakery Hill, get a bottle of Lark or Limeburners and see how I do from there.

Last edited:
A good find Luc. Limburner's sure does look good, but the prices are a little out of my range unforunately.

Strangely Lark is about 1 minute away from my major clients offices ( where I spend about 80% of my time ) but I've never been there ( though client has a zero alchohol policy ).

I was invited for Christmas drinks there last year by one of my vendors but couldn't make it, but sounds like a couple of other reseller reps drank my ( and everyone else) portions. :tongue_sm

If you need assistance with the Lark, let me know !!!! :thumbup1:

Luc

Staff member
I forgot to add, the only place that I found in Melbourne that can sell it is "Wigs Cellar"

http://www.thewigscellar.com.au/htm..._view.asp?id=144&nav_cat_id=160&nav_top_id=66

That place will sell you a 1 ounce bottle if the distillery make it. They have a full wall of those (Tequila, Cognac, Whisky, Scotch, Bourbon, etc.). I usually end up with ~$100 of small bottles. I rather buy a 1 shot than being stuck with a full bottle that I don't like. I will try to check next week if I couldn't find the 3 of them in a small bottle...

Luc

Staff member
What ever happened to Gilt Edge?? It was an affordable Australian whisky!:001_huh:

Mmm, I can always try to track that one down... Never heard of it. Do you know if it's still in production?

I've tried the Lark whisky and it's pretty good. For a surprise a few years ago I flew my wife to Hobart for a nice seafood lunch at Muirs. After lunch we went for a walk as we had a couple of hours to kill before heading back to the airport for the flight home and we ended up at Larks. All the drinks were pretty good. The apple schnapps was sensational.

interesting post Luc. To me, Lark's distillery was like a Speyside. Their Pepperberry Gin is the best Gin I've tasted. If we ever catch up, I vote Tassie

Luc

Staff member
About a $20 horse and cart ride back to my place. If we spread the leaves out a bit thinner you can all have your own pile...umm bed :tongue_sm

Mmm, I'm sure that if we promise not to drink everything they will let us sleep in a barrel... It's Tasmania after all! :lol:

Luc

Staff member
All right, I now have 2 bottles out of 3. Larks and Bakery Hills. The bottle shop didn't have Limeburner in a small bottle.

$19.95 each but I rather buy a one shot instead of paying a big price for a bottle I won't like.

Tasting, probably this week-end!

I asked for Gilt Edge and they don't stock it or know if they can have it...

Luc

Staff member
All right! Lark was in my glass yesterday.

Nice stuff. 58% alc. but still nice. Not smokey at all, a bit sweet at then end, reminds me of cherries. Good stuff! I don't know if this will be a regular because of the alcohol content but very good drop!

All right! Lark was in my glass yesterday.

Nice stuff. 58% alc. but still nice. Not smokey at all, a bit sweet at then end, reminds me of cherries. Good stuff! I don't know if this will be a regular because of the alcohol content but very good drop!

Luc, do you know which cask it was finished in?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
What are the grains used for the Oz whisky? I've loved some of the wines . . . I figure it is because with the heat there it is made from raisins so it is pre-aged before it hits the bottle. . . ha . . . sorry. I bought a bottle of "fat bastard" . . . just sounded like me. I think it was available here just the one time.

Top Bottom