What's new

What Are You Reading?

There is a very large amount of avid readers on this board, very many of us thirst for knowledge.

What book or books are you reading right now? What are you finding stimulating? What would you recommend to others?

Right now, I'm about about 5/6 of the way through The Promise by Chaim Potok. I've been on it for a couple months, but a day or two I decided I needed to finish it and have really buckled down and finished the majority of the book. This novel is the sequel to The Chosen and is an excellent novel (as is The Chosen). I highly recommend it, both for the religious debate and the interpersonal relationships and psychological. Reading The Chosen first is not neccesary but it helps.

I've also made a New Years Resolution to read the entire Bible, actually I made it about a week ago, but that's close enough to New Years, right? I'm still in Genesis, but I'm really enjoying spending a few minutes with my Bible everyday. I've also began an individual Bible Study of the book of Proverbs, covering and studying a chapter a day. The amount of wisdom in that book is astounding. Highly beneficial for one of any faith.

Finally, I began James Dobson's What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew About Women, a non-fiction Christian and Psychological book on marriage (in addition to his religious teachings Dobson is a clinical psychologist). Hopefully the insights I'm learning now will serve me well in the next year or two when I do settle down. I was thrown by the title, but the book actually seems to be intended for women rather than men, but I've found the insights to be just a poignant to a male seeking to better connect with his partner and strengthen the relationship.

Just finishing an interesting pop history of radio: SOMETHING IN THE AIR: RADIO, ROCK, AND THE REVOLUTION THAT SHAPED A GENERATION, by Marc Fisher of the Washington Post

For a real hoot (make sure you pee before you read this one) THE REAL ANIMAL HOUSE, by Chris Miller (one of the three writers of the original movie script, and the inspiration for the character, Pinto)

On the series side: Going Down Jericho Road, by Michael Honey, Ph.D., a compelling account of the Memphis sanitation workers strike (1968), at which Martin Luther King was murdered.

Happy booking!
Porcine

I am a simultaneous reader - I think I have about 6 or 7 books going right now.

Just finished: Perfume - The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. Outstanding.

Included in the current works:
Omnivore's Dilemna - Michael Pollen
Shalimar the Clown - Salman Rushdie
The Art of Eating - MFK Fisher
You Shall Know Our Velocity - David Eggers

Plus a couple misc others.

Dennis

Reading: The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen right now.

Very VERY interesting. If you're into religion and/or science at all you'll enjoy this book.

I am a simultaneous reader - I think I have about 6 or 7 books going right now.

Just finished: Perfume - The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. Outstanding.

I have not read Perfume, but I was reading about it the other day. From the description I read, the description of fragrances (in the book) are absolutely breathtaking.

I just started reading Ulysses by James Joyce, this is going to take a while to finish as I'm only reading this on days that I do cardio (3x a week).

I have not read Perfume, but I was reading about it the other day. From the description I read, the description of fragrances (in the book) are absolutely breathtaking.

Indeed - I have not read a book anything like it. The author's ability to bring the reader, vividly, into a world of smells was unparalleled. You cannot help but recall the scents and odors as he describes them and it just added an entire other level to the book, plus it is a good story.

Dennis

I just started reading Ulysses by James Joyce, this is going to take a while to finish as I'm only reading this on days that I do cardio (3x a week).

Good luck with that...:biggrin: (the book I mean - stream of conciousness writing is not my thing at all).

Currently reading
Med ship by Murray Leinster , previously i went trough the Solar Queen series by Andre Norton. I like older science fiction but i am quite omnivore about books.

Right now, I'm about about 5/6 of the way through The Promise by Chaim Potok. I've been on it for a couple months, but a day or two I decided I needed to finish it and have really buckled down and finished the majority of the book. This novel is the sequel to The Chosen and is an excellent novel (as is The Chosen). I highly recommend it, both for the religious debate and the interpersonal relationships and psychological. Reading The Chosen first is not neccesary but it helps.

Read The Chosen in Lit class in HS, as well as watched the movie adaptation. I thought the book was really good (I was probably the only one in my class to think so), but I read The Promise several years later when I came across it at the library in my hometown. Both are good.

Last thing I was reading was Sherlock Holmes, but that was during vacation several months ago and I have a hard time reading after work because my eyes are normally tired after staring at text all day as part of my job. I wish I could read more after work, but it is just so uncomfortable.

I just finished reading the latest James Patterson - Cross and Ted Bell's - Spy. Ted Bell's books are very James Bond-ish, excellent reading.

Waiting on the Weather:Making Movies with Akira Kurosawa-Teruyo Nogami

Taiko-Eiji Yashikawa

And for the better part of a year I've been plowing through History of Japan to 1334 by George Sansom.

I'm about a third of the way through "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln" by Doris Kerns Goodwin.

A facinating look at how political campaigns were run in the mid-19th century.

I've also made a New Years Resolution to read the entire Bible, actually I made it about a week ago, but that's close enough to New Years, right? I'm still in Genesis, but I'm really enjoying spending a few minutes with my Bible everyday. I've also began an individual Bible Study of the book of Proverbs, covering and studying a chapter a day. The amount of wisdom in that book is astounding. Highly beneficial for one of any faith.

Finally, I began James Dobson's What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew About Women, a non-fiction Christian and Psychological book on marriage (in addition to his religious teachings Dobson is a clinical psychologist). Hopefully the insights I'm learning now will serve me well in the next year or two when I do settle down. I was thrown by the title, but the book actually seems to be intended for women rather than men, but I've found the insights to be just a poignant to a male seeking to better connect with his partner and strengthen the relationship.

Chaim Potok is great. I really like The Chosen. You should check out the film, they did a pretty good job with it.

I forgot to list what I'm reading.

Remaking the World: Adventures in Engineering by Henry Petroski

God in Search of Man by Abraham Joshua Heschel

And a huge stack of book waiting to be read as I got ~10 books for Christmas.

I have also been reading a little Sherlock Holmes spattered throughout my normal reading.

Top Bottom