What's new

GEM Double Edge Blades

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas when they were made, and how hard they would be to obtain?

attachment.php

To clarify, are these double edge blades made to fit Gem (nominally single edge at a time) razors?

- Chris

Chris, based on the insert in the box with the Gem Micromatic, it appears that GEM, at least for a period, made a double edge blade.

I've seen these on ebay. Apparently they are made to be used in single edge razors. The user would shave with one edge until dull then switch it around to the second edge. I don't believe they would fit a DE razor.

Here's a view of the actual blade:

That ad is very interesting:

A) They are pretty much saying that their newest blade outperforms their current blade, basically that their old product is inferior to the newest one.

I thought only Gillette used those form of marketing tactics!

B) "The first razor so confident of it's perfection that well's mail a trail set, with a single, and double edge blade, and the exact gold-plated frame included in Gem's regular $1 outfits for $.25 cents."

Wow!! $.25 cents to sample all of the Gem goodness, remind me again why they didn't have a higher market share? :001_tt1::biggrin:

I guess even Gem was participating in the "give the razor away for free, so we can make our profits on the blades" style of marketing.

I personally believe that their key advantage lay in the 4,840 separate stroppings!

One thing to note: They came out with the double edge blade to counter Gillette's claim that you got two shaving surfaces with their blades vs. one with the Gem. The Gem double edge blades would only have worked well with the Micromatic model, since the others (1912's, etc.) press against the spine of the blade to hold it and would thus dull the hidden edge while the first one was being used.

looks like the main difference here is the slotting on the gem de vs. the slot/pinning on the gillette style de.

The main difference is that the blade is still the same thickness as a SE blade and not flexible like a DE blade is.
:D

That ad is very interesting:

A) They are pretty much saying that their newest blade outperforms their current blade, basically that their old product is inferior to the newest one.

I thought only Gillette used those form of marketing tactics!

Every company does that with "new and improved" - would you buy the reformulation if the ads said, "lowered the quality to increase our profit margin"?

B) "The first razor so confident of it's perfection that well's mail a trail set, with a single, and double edge blade, and the exact gold-plated frame included in Gem's regular $1 outfits for $.25 cents."

Wow!! $.25 cents to sample all of the Gem goodness, remind me again why they didn't have a higher market share? :001_tt1::biggrin:

Gillette advertising. They managed to convince a nation of shavers back then, just like they are doing today, that Gillette is best.

I guess even Gem was participating in the "give the razor away for free, so we can make our profits on the blades" style of marketing.

Not a bad approach, unless you get greedy with the profit margin on the blades.

Top Bottom