What's new

Discussion thread for Robert Williams Custom Swayback

Very nice razor. It looks like the Japanese razor I couldn't get but the curves aren't as pronounced on this one.

It was being made around that time. Robert and I talked about that one but as attractive as it looked to me the curve looked a bit too radical to be a practical shaver.

As a quick question, since you did that as I could see in the review, how does one hone a non-flat/straight edge? The description was a bit too uhh... undescriptive for my n00b-brain to understand.

Beautiful thing though, absolutely smashing!

Roberts work is great! I just received a custom with ivory scales from him that is just a dream to hold and use. A phenomenal shaver. Great design and quality. His finish work is great although it does not look like it came out of a factor perfect and I love that. I do not like factory perfect looking items if they are made by hand - I want them to look crafted by hand.

Robert is a true gentleman to work with and delivers a top quality razor at a very reasonable price!

As a quick question, since you did that as I could see in the review, how does one hone a non-flat/straight edge? The description was a bit too uhh... undescriptive for my n00b-brain to understand.

Beautiful thing though, absolutely smashing!

I used a honing technique known as the "rolling X" that works well for smiling blades and/or blades with warped spines.

Beautiful razor, interesting review, with a certain "Spartan" quality about each of them that seems to fit like a bespoke suit.

I'm not much for ornamental jimps, preferring the sharp-edged, "toothy" type over those which look good but don't grip; also, I find jimps to be a good indication of how much the artisan values "little" things -- in the first photo you can see how the eighth upper jimp is cut significantly deeper than the rest.

I'm also not much for the disturbing trend in custom razors toward burly, bulky scales; this is all the more off-putting when the material is ivory (pre-ban, or otherwise), which should be as delicate as its source was massive. Unfortunately, these scales look like the plastic from a booth in a 1950s NJ diner.

Likewise, there is a terrible ding in the back scale, opposite the shank, which is clearly visible in the first and final photos. With all the discussion during the past year about "fit and finish", I'm quite surprised that this one left the shop as-is.

But hey! it's someone else's money, and not mine... so, I'll close with this: the design, manufacturing, and etching on this blade are beautiful, and I know that it gives Slant-Fan pleasure to heft, hone, and shave with it; thus, it's a Good Razor.

As the guy who got his Robert Williams custom just before Slant-Fan got his, I think it is a great looking razor. The real question is, however, how does it shave?

Beautiful razor, interesting review, with a certain "Spartan" quality about each of them that seems to fit like a bespoke suit.

I'm not much for ornamental jimps, preferring the sharp-edged, "toothy" type over those which look good but don't grip; also, I find jimps to be a good indication of how much the artisan values "little" things -- in the first photo you can see how the eighth upper jimp is cut significantly deeper than the rest.

I'm also not much for the disturbing trend in custom razors toward burly, bulky scales; this is all the more off-putting when the material is ivory (pre-ban, or otherwise), which should be as delicate as its source was massive. Unfortunately, these scales look like the plastic from a booth in a 1950s NJ diner.

Likewise, there is a terrible ding in the back scale, opposite the shank, which is clearly visible in the first and final photos. With all the discussion during the past year about "fit and finish", I'm quite surprised that this one left the shop as-is.

But hey! it's someone else's money, and not mine... so, I'll close with this: the design, manufacturing, and etching on this blade are beautiful, and I know that it gives Slant-Fan pleasure to heft, hone, and shave with it; thus, it's a Good Razor.
Robert and I discussed the jimps and I wanted them to be exactly like those on another of his razors that I have. The scales are perfectly balanced to the blade and if they appear thick or ungainly in the photo they do not to my eye or hand. The "terrible ding" is a natural flaw in the otherwise perfect ivory scales. Thanks for looking out though JB, you do have an eagle eye.

Last edited:
As the guy who got his Robert Williams custom just before Slant-Fan got his, I think it is a great looking razor. The real question is, however, how does it shave?

Hi Henry, re-read the review and under the last photo you'll find that I say,"The shave is great". Also the fact that I said at the start that if I could only keep one razor the RW swayback would be it indicates that I am very pleased with the shaving quality. As my grandma was always fond of saying,"Handsome is as handsome does". I'm sure you'll agree that while ornaments are lovely a beautiful razor that won't shave well isn't worth having. :smile:

I've been informed that my original post has caused more than one sleepless night; for this, I apologize. I wrote neither with an agenda, nor with any intent for my words to be a "hatchet job"... far from it.

I could have ended my post with this sentence, but I chose to begin with it, instead; and this was for a reason: "You never get a second chance to make a first impression." Perhaps I should have repeated my opening sentence at the end of the post, to reinforce things; but I doubt that it would have done so.

What does an artisan do with a piece that has one-or-more visible flaws? Toss it? Fix it? Sell it as a "factory-second"? Or does s/he "spin it", turning the flaw into a "feature"?

As Slant-Fan wrote in response, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

The owner assures me that this is not a "ding", but an "artifact". I don't buy it, and I wouldn't have bought these scales, either... certainly not as part of an expensive, made-to-order razor.

It doesn't matter one whit what I (or anyone else) think about this razor; the sole criterion is that it's owner likes it... he does, and that's what counts. But if you're asking me...

YMMV

I read your post as being some sort of passive/aggressive thing. On the one hand it is a "beautiful razor" but on the other,"these scales look like the plastic from a booth in a 1950s NJ diner" or "there is a terrible ding in the back scale". Your criticism of the razor and the workmanship is unjust IMHO. You make statements that are erroneous as if they were absolute facts.

The scales are beautiful with a naturally occurring artifact the size of a speck of pepper ...... not a "terrible ding". The jimps that you refer to as ornamental happen to be what I specifically ordered because of the superior traction that they provide yet you say that you're,"preferring the sharp-edged, "toothy" type over those which look good but don't grip". The one jimp that you say is "significantly deeper" is not regardless of what the lighting in the photo may make it look like. It is insignificantly deeper.

So you you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. IMO you are out of line in criticizing the workmanship on this razor when it is not yours. I would read it as some sort of agenda to attack the artist who made it. Sort of a proxy war kind of thing. Maybe I am wrong about that.

It wouldn't bother me that much if it was just about the razor but it goes beyond that to the artist. Since I have multiple razors by Robert Williams, Mastro Livi, Joe Chandler, a couple by Josh Earl and one each by Bill Ellis and Tim Zowada, I have some basis for comparing the quality of the product and the performance. I normally don't make statements such as one artisan is superior to another because I think it would be impolite but IMO Robert is the best of the bunch.

The fault you find in the workmanship is an attack on him whether you mean it to be or not. I feel that one way or the other your critique is uncalled for and unjustified. No amount of trying to clean it up with follow up posts will change that.That is my humble opinion obviously YMMV.

Last edited:
What does an artisan do with a piece that has one-or-more visible flaws? Toss it? Fix it? Sell it as a "factory-second"? Or does s/he "spin it", turning the flaw into a "feature"?

Every single one of my "custom" straights has a flaw or two. In some cases (not necessarially the one's you would imagine) you have to look very hard to find it. I don't mind any of the flaws. In fact, I expect them. They come with the territory. Afterall, these things are hand made with natural products.

Last edited:
Every single one of my "custom" straights has a flaw or two. In some cases (not necessarially the one's you would imagine) you have to look very hard to find it. I don't mind any of the flaws. In fact, I expect them. They come with the territory. Afterall, these things are hand made.

I had to go back and look hard for the "ding" after seeing how hard you have to look on yours.

JBHoren,
*** mate? It's a hunk-o-ivory.
I bet your pearly whites have more flaws than that little speck. :mad3:

Anhyoo, SlantFan, I love the razor, and if you ever feel charitable, you could send it to me for a test shave :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom