What's new

razor recommend for very heavy beard ??

I have a friend who is always complaining how tough it is too shave. He is part grizzly bear. His beard is very heavy. He has tried a Gillette Fat Boy and said he was not impressed, not sure how much effort he really put into it either. From my very limited knowledge I though he needed an open comb style. He complained the fat boy clogged up very quickly and he had to use extreamly short strokes. I also thought a Merkur slant might work for him, but he is not an experienced DE shaver. Any suggestions other then lazer hair removal.
Thanks

i have a beard that would make sasquatch proud. if i let it grow to long i have to break out the clippers before i shave so i shave almost every day..
but i use an old gillette something or other

Tell him to try an open comb Gillette. I've got a pretty coarse beard and I'm been amazed with the shaves I can get with both the Old Type and New.

I have a Parker 89r, which has a very open bar with plenty of blade room. That may work. Or maybe more aggressive adjustable? Futur, Vision?

thanks for all of the suggestions, i'll pass them on to teen wolf. By the way, why would a red tip cut better then a fat boy, is it more agressive?
Mike

My recommendations: slant or NEW.

As for red tip vs. fatboy, the fatboy is heavier, and can be set to a more aggressive blade gap than the red tip, making the latter redundant. Kind of you to help your heavy-bearded friend!

I would say a Slant either a 37C *HD Slant* or 39C *Sledgehammer Slant*... I use both and I love how they both shave!

HTH,

thanks guys,
not sure he would be into the learning curve of a straight. He does have some trouble sitting still. I wonder if he has given the fat boy a fair shake. But then I see him after he hasn't shaved for 2 or 3 days and I'm sure glad I don't have his beard. I'm going to suggest he tries a few different blades and some patience.

A Gem would be great I promise. A bit of a learning curve at first (slow and steady wins the race) but they are super aggressive razors and will no kidding deliver consistently great shaves even if you have a freakishly heavy beard.

C&D Green River Vanilla from a Gefapip Apple, getting ready to mount up for the pre-bed shave. Pipe Smokers of the world unite...indeed good Sir!

Top Bottom