What's new

What's a mother to do?

Okay, I'm the single mom of a 13-year old son who's announced that he wants to start shaving. I have to concede he's probably right . . . that "peach fuzz" is getting pretty dark and noticeable!

So, now what do I do? Do I go and get the disposable crap from the local chain drugstore, or do I order him something better? Keep in mind, he's only 13, always in a rush, and has trouble remembering to keep his shoes tied!

I figured he could start put by shaving at night, when he takes a shower, so he has more time to pay attention to what he's doing . . . and for the time being, I'm guessing that will probably be sufficient - and a lot safer than handing him a razor when he's trying to rush off to school in the morning.

But what's best for an easily distracted adolescent - disposable, DE, single edge? And does he have to use shaving cream and a brush, or is there a gel or cream he can just put straight on his face?

We've got no close male relatives I can turn to for advice - so I appreciate your help!

while i don't have the right answers for you, i'm glad you found this forum because your in the right place to get those important answers.

There are many here who have been in your shoes with their sons and can help you out with this.

GOOD LUCK !!!! and congrats what a milestone for your son and it's great that your there to help him learn about this new step in life.!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A Gillette Tech is a very very cheap intro to a new shaver. They are very forgiving, and can be had for just a few dollars.
Walmart carries Double Edge Blades for about $2.00 for a ten pack, which should last him months at this stage.
They also sell at walmart a package of soap, brush and bowl from VDH, that's Van Der Hagen (not sure on the spelling) which is quite inexpensive.
The canned shave foam may seem like an easy route, but if you consider that a puck of the shave soap lasts me about 9 months, you can see that it is a better buy in the long run.
It's great that you are giving him this opportunity to break free of the cartridge razor cycle, he will thank you for it later.
If you decide that you want to go with the razor, there are plenty on the Buy Sell Trade forum, on e-bay, or from antique shops.

Last edited:
I'm a 23 year old guy and started shaving about the same time. I started out w/ a mach 3. My skin was always clear growing up but after I started shaving I started breaking out. I tried everything to clear it up, and some of it might have been just growing up - because over the years it's definitely gotten much better. Although it seemed like a constant struggle to keep my skin clear. but after switching over to a Gillette Superspeed for the past two weeks and seeing my skin clear up. I'm convinced that a lot of my problem was ingrown hairs.

The problem w/ shave goo is that it contains a lot of chemicals that dry out your skin and it does not contain the naturally occurring moisturizers in natural or otherwise high quality soaps. The Mach 3 supposedly pulls the hair from it's follicle and then cuts it so that when the hair is released the hair is shorter than the follicle and rests below the surface of the skin. I make my own, but - from reading this forum you can find some really good ones. I haven't tried any of them yet, but I hear good things about proraso and musgo real, the latter smells of fresh cut grass!

I say, start him out w/ quality stuff and he'll learn how to use it right early on. Over the long haul, it can be cheaper as the blades are much less expensive and there are some very cost effective shave soaps out there - like colonel conks stuff. And you can always pick up a mach 3 handle for 7 bucks if he wants to try it out anyway and he could still use it with the better soap. I do get a close shave w/ a mach 3 - and a faster one too but taking your time and doin it right is very relaxing.

I'd say for about 40-50 bucks you could get him started. $10 bucks for a gillette superspeed at a thrift or antique store, possibly free if you know any old dudes. I got 10 blades for $5, $25 for a brush and $10 for a cream.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I had to start shaving at 13 as well. I have a couple double edge razors and i think that a weishi is a razor that is very forgiving if he makes a mistake or if his attention is diverted. As for a brush an omega boar brush is a very nice brush that will hold up well and build him a decent lather. As for a soap, if you have a local drugstore (walgreens preferably) should carry a brand called Van Der Hagen which i happen to like alot. For more info on this whole wet shaving subject you can check out mantic59's channel on youtube (he is very helpful). Hope this helps.

I would suggest that you and your son make the decision together. I would encourage him to lurk around this forum and read the shave Wiki's and to check out Mantic on U-Tube. Just like most of us on this forum have done.

He may just want to start out with the disposable and a can of shave cream or he may want to try the traditional wet shave method with the DE razor and a brush and making his own shave cream from the beginning. What ever decision you make be sure that it is an educated one.

Also I would suggest that you take it slow and easy with him just like I did with my own son. He won't need to shave every day at first.

Here are some facts that I have learned about shaving:

1. If you are going to shave your beard with a razor, you are occasionally going to get cut. That is a given. My son became discouraged because he cut himself so often. I just kept reinforcing him and today he is a very apt shaver.

2. Shaving is an art, one must master the techniques in order to be a good shaver. Learning how to prep the beard, how to make a good lather, how to handle the razor, and learning the techniques are somethings you can't learn over night. Be patient and determined

3. Lastly, what is taught here is the manly art of shaving. It is one of the things that sets a boy on the road to being a gentleman. Learning to shave is something that someone never forgets. Your time spent with your son in this endeavor will produce precious memories for him the rest of his life. Good Luck to you!

More important than the equipment, is that you teach him to slow down and be careful. Teach him to study the direction of hair growth. Too many guys had poor shaving education and think that they can just quickly rub the razor on their cheek before going out.

Get him a de razor. :) It is cheaper and he needs to learn to shave properly. When learning about method and such, have him watch videos on YouTube (great help). Just search up something like "de shaving". Also yeah, probably have him make time in the morning, he needs to get used to it. Although de shaves will prolong the shave, he still should do it in the morning to get in the habit and keep a good shave going for him for the day. Also, if you buy him a de razor with the brush and blades, him and you will save plenty of money down the road. I just wish my parents went this route :(

Oh, and no offense luvmysuper, but Personna blades are terrible! (in my opinion at least) Get Derby blades on Amazon or something. Those Derby packs last over a year for me.

I wish my mom and step dad would have taken the time you are! I also wish I would have started with the DE as well! I could have saved a lot of cash.

Some great suggestions so far. You might also want to start off with single blade disposables. That way, your son can see what he likes. Here's a link to a package of Bic disposables on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Single-Blade-Sensitive-12-Count/dp/B00070QF0C

Also, you can get some nice shaving cream at Bath and Body Works. It's made by C. O. Bigelow and comes in a light green tube. Here's a link so that you can see what it looks like:

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2257431&CAWELAID=328580182

This cream is very well thought of and makes a beautiful lather.

Here's a nice shaving brush--a reliable boar bristle brush made by Omega. You can find them on line--here's another Amazon link to see what it's like:

http://www.amazon.com/White-Handled...=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1248060668&sr=8-12

In addition to the VDH soap recommended above, you can buy Williams soap at most drugstores for about a dollar.

This is really all you need to get your son going. But how to do it? There are fantastic instructions here, including some excellent videos. Have a look here--you can run through them, then get your son to go through them with you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Once your son practices for a while, you can look at the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the website here to pick up a good starter razor. It's too bad that they are hard to find in stores, but you won't have any trouble finding something appropriate at a reasonable price.

It's very nice for you to think about doing this. I used to watch my dad shave with his DE razor, but he never really taught me anything about it. I spent a lot of time shaving with other stuff and it wasn't bad. But shaving with a nice double edged razor is much more fun. Your son will appreciate that you've shown him a pretty special way of doing things.

You might also want to start off with single blade disposables... Here's a link to a package of Bic disposables on Amazon . . .

Wow, I didn't know there was such as thing as single blade disposables! If they're available at drugstores, that would be an easy alternative to a nicer DE, and it would save me having to search all the local antique stores if I want to pick something up in the next day or two.

Seems like it makes sense to stay away from the multi-blades - since the shaving technique is apparently so different. Having watched Mantic59's videos, I also understand the advantage of traditional shaving cream . . . and, if nothing else, it will teach the kid to s-l-o-w down when he shaves.

Thanks to all for your quick and thoughtful responses!

Use it to spend some quality time with him. :001_smile

My 13 year old has just had his second shave last weekend.

Every last Sunday of the month is "Shave Night" in my house ( 15 yr old and 13 year old and sometimes 11 year old ( without blade :tongue_sm )

As long as you get him a "gentle" DE you should be fine.

I've got him shaving with a Slim Adjustable set at 1 ( its lowest setting ).

It's so "non-agressive" his first shave took about 6 passes while he got the angle right. :001_smile

The second one only took him 2 :001_smile

Hopefully these guys will be able to enjoy shaving well before my 44 year "epiphany" and hopefully they'll actually use and appreciate my (small ) collection of razors ( including two of their grandfathers who's now on 'lectric ) when I pass on rather than take them to the tip .

Last edited:
There have already been a lot of great posts, so there isn't too much more that I can add besides...

1. As a teacher, I'm so glad to see you here looking for ways to make connections with your son. It's often the small things that mean so much.

2. As someone who had terrible shaves for years (I started at 14/15 and I'm now almost 28), I wish I would have learned how to do this better when I started out. It would have saved years of discomfort and ingrown hairs.

3. Start with a mild razor, a forgiving blade, plenty of good lather, and a ton of time so that he can work slowly and see what works for him.

4. Let him know that mistakes will happen. There will be occasional nicks, but it's important to know that it happens to everyone and that it's okay. As he practices more, the nicks will disappear and he can enjoy the pride of a job well done. Making mistakes is a side effect of trying something new - and in my book, that's just fine!!

Best of luck to you and your son!!

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Great advices up here. Welcome to B&B!

You know your kid best. Are any of his friends shaving? If so, he's pretty likely to want what they have (trying not to break conformity). If he's gung-ho because he's the first one then he may be more open to trying traditional shaving.

I think the other big concern is whether he'll wear any nicks and cuts as a badge of accomplishment or shame. Some kids take things like that harshly.

Good luck!

I also have a 13 year old son, so I understand what your saying about them always being in a rush and forgetfulness. I would also suggest starting out with the single blade Bic Sensitive disposable razor. They are not aggressive and you'll find them at most grocery stores and national chain stores for around $2.00 for a 10 pack. For shaving cream I would recommend Kiss My Face. It can be used with a brush or without and comes in many different scents so he can choose the one he likes. Many members here recommend it for those who want a brushless cream. You may be able to find it in your area or order it from the internet for around $5.00 a bottle. As far as an aftershave (oily skin) or balm (dry skin) to use after shaving, I would suggest taking him to the store and let him smell different ones to see what he prefers. Keeping it simple at his age will make the learning process easier and more enjoyable. As he gets older you can surprise him with his first DE or SE razor and brush. I've include some links to reviews for the Bic razors and KMF shaving cream. Good luck and ask more questions if you have them, that's what we're here for.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41&ltr=K&sort=&order=

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=B&t=80911

I'm conflicted about whether or not I would suggest for you to get him a DE. Kids are very indesivie at that age. So if he tries it, cuts himself bad, he may be turned off from it.
When I was like 8, I thought I would be funny and took a plastic Bic from the medicine cabinet and ran it down my forearm. Well it was a bloody mess and while painful, I had to maintain a "that didn't hurt, I'm ok" when being scowled by my "I toldja so" of a mother. LOL

A good "pure badger" brush can be had relatively inexpensively, some good cream to build lather, and maybe a *shudder* Mach 3 or Fusion? I have nothing against cartridge razors, I get a good shave outta 'em quick, BUT the price makes me turned the hell off!
If Fusion blades were like a buck a pop I'd jump on it. But...meh.

If you decide to get him into DE shaving, the Merkur HD is a nice beginner's razor, but they all have a learner's curve. He can grow with the HD. But people, when they get a DE razor, are quirky about how "short" the handle is, because Mach 3s and whatnot are much longer.
I personally don't find it an issue.

When I was 12 I started "shaving"...I got some peach fuzz on my upper lip. I'd use a Phillips electric shaver once a week for like 5 seconds dry and it was smooth again for a few days! Now I make multiple passes and I am presentable but nothing gets me completely silky smooth. I just roll with the punches and accept my permanent shadow.

You can get razor and brush stands, which are really cool if he would display it in the bathroom. Plus chrome razors, chrome brush handles, chrome stands, it all looks pretty flashy in a way. ;) He'll thank you, if you do eventually get him a DE, that you introduced him to the "proper" way. I had nobody to teach me and I endured years of cringing like a MFer when my cheap Shickk blades and Edge goo foam pulled so hard on my face.
Best of luck!

Jimmy

I'm conflicted about whether or not I would suggest for you to get him a DE. Kids are very indesivie at that age. So if he tries it, cuts himself bad, he may be turned off from it.
When I was like 8, I thought I would be funny and took a plastic Bic from the medicine cabinet and ran it down my forearm. Well it was a bloody mess and while painful, I had to maintain a "that didn't hurt, I'm ok" when being scowled by my "I toldja so" of a mother. LOL

A good "pure badger" brush can be had relatively inexpensively, some good cream to build lather, and maybe a *shudder* Mach 3 or Fusion? I have nothing against cartridge razors, I get a good shave outta 'em quick, BUT the price makes me turned the hell off!
If Fusion blades were like a buck a pop I'd jump on it. But...meh.

If you decide to get him into DE shaving, the Merkur HD is a nice beginner's razor, but they all have a learner's curve. He can grow with the HD. But people, when they get a DE razor, are quirky about how "short" the handle is, because Mach 3s and whatnot are much longer.
I personally don't find it an issue.

When I was 12 I started "shaving"...I got some peach fuzz on my upper lip. I'd use a Phillips electric shaver once a week for like 5 seconds dry and it was smooth again for a few days! Now I make multiple passes and I am presentable but nothing gets me completely silky smooth. I just roll with the punches and accept my permanent shadow.

You can get razor and brush stands, which are really cool if he would display it in the bathroom. Plus chrome razors, chrome brush handles, chrome stands, it all looks pretty flashy in a way. ;) He'll thank you, if you do eventually get him a DE, that you introduced him to the "proper" way. I had nobody to teach me and I endured years of cringing like a MFer when my cheap Shickk blades and Edge goo foam pulled so hard on my face.
Best of luck!

Jimmy

Never truer words. I never thought I would appreciate a DE like I do now. The Mach III is good and quick but I got a ton of ingrown hairs from it which is why I switched over. If nothing else, learning the art of proper lathering would be an excellent idea and the choice of razor is always subjective. Some people get great results with cartridge razors and no ingrowns or burn. If he knows how to lather, that's the best first step and razor experimentation can come later.

Good luck. Welcome to B&B.

Cheers!

I will keep is short and sweet:

You are doing a great thing by even thinking about wetshaving. Get him into it; it will teach him that he needs to be patient to get things done right, and more importantly, that if he takes his time, things will turn out much better. Patience and commitment is what he will end up learning, and both of these traits are good ones.

Top Bottom