What's new

Gillette Military Razors

Yeah, that's just a variant of the soft-roll Khaki Set from WWI. There were at least a couple of different versions to the case -- one with a more rounded flap and a single snap like you've got there and another that was more squared off with two snaps like this one of Achim's:

proxy.php

I'll include my service set as it hasn't been posted already.

I don't know too much about it - this set doesn't appear to be listed on mr razor. The razor appears to be a 1940's NEW and is English made.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 383
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
I have a 1918 Gillette stamped US ARMY with the number underneath.

Would the same DEs have been supplied to US Marines (but still stamped US Army)?

Looking back at Achim's post #4, the second pic is a 1918 Military Set that I'm sure I've seen described elsewhere as an Officer's set (traveler with tubes and blade safe) - the Old Type razor has a handle with spiral knurling that "climbs" to the right. Was that handle used for any other razor (I can't find an example on mr-razor.com), and does any other razor with spiral knurling curl the same direction (the Brit 'Crats and US '49 Executive circle the other direction, for example)?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Excellent thread here. Here is one of a handful of my sets where I actually have the shipper and instructions. Unfortunately...or fortunately the instructions are still sealed. Would love to see what is inside. Tried to take a pic of some of the wording. It starts off "To Our Soldiers." It appears their is a copy of them on Mr Razor's site. Problem solved. I love this set. It's definitely a 1918 U.S. Army issue Khaki set and one of my favorites.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 289
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 290
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 289
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 290
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Yes, very nice!

It's weird...see those little black ink "x's" on either side of the Gillette diamond logo on the US Khaki? I noticed there are little scraped-in "x's" in the same place on my khaki set. What's that about you think?

I'm very very late joining in this conversation. regarding the "X"'. You are viewing them as letters when they are likely intended as numbers. Depending on the number of X' it could be the 10th (X) infantry, the 20th (XX) Infantry or the 30th (XXX) Infantry divisions. You might ask yourself where you purchased your set or where it originated from that might help you determine what division may be referenced as they divisions where called up and mustered from particular states.

Here's my pair of WWII Canadian Army issued Fat Techs.
I'm not sure which one came with the right blades.
The blade plate cut outs are triangular on both which I believe dates them from 1939 to 1945.
They are slightly more aggressive than a normal Tech acording to the B&B blade gap chart.
Great shavers.
I'm super proud to give them a good home.
$1455899265647-1343026470.jpg

This is what I found in an antique shop on Edmonton got it all cleaned up and ready for my first shave with it. Has some wear but nothing a good polish by a professional won't be able to take out
proxy.php

Hello everyone, I've got a couple of Canadian Gillette military sets from the Korean War era that are date coded Y-4. The one on the left is one I use semi regularly. I replaced the tuck of Gillette Blues with a 1930's blade safe.

proxy.php

The one on the right is mint/unused.
These are among my favorite Tech sets.

Top Bottom