What's new

Gillette Military Razors

Hi Guys.

Are Khaki sets exclusively service sets, or were they also available to the public? I picked up a Khaki set a few weeks ago, but the interior of the case does not say 'service set' or 'property of USA'. It is complete except for the mirror; would those markings only be on the mirror or on the case interior as well?

One other question... mine also has a 'thumb tack' in the lower left corner & a small hole in the lower right corner where it looks like another tack used to be... what's the purpose of those thumb tacks?

Bill

Last edited:
Regarding the x's... I've seen this before but thought nothing of it.... now you have me wondering! Why are there inked in x's on some of these items (your carved x's are a first, unless I just never noticed them before).

"mine also has a 'thumb tack' in the lower left corner & a small hole in the lower right corner where it looks like another tack used to be... what's the purpose of those thumb tacks?"

to hang the mirror.

Does anyone know if Khaki sets were exclusively military service sets, or if they were also available to the public?

Bill
:shaving:

there are both types. The military set say "Property US Army" and the public set says "Made in USA"

Attachments

• $000 Khaki military.jpg
    $000 Khaki military.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 612
  • $000 Khaki public.jpg
    $000 Khaki public.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
I actually have a number of various WWII era razors.

The below is copied from an earlier thread.

Just for conversation sake, here's some WWII era razors I have.

Canadian Schick
proxy.php

Gem Jr. Military
proxy.php

Clix Five Hundred
proxy.php

Star Military - 2nd from right
proxy.php

Simplex Military - Federal Razor Company
proxy.php
so in the picture of the 5, what can you tell me about the gillette on the far right? is it indeed ww2? inside, it has the J on far left and opposite that, on far right is a number 1. what is the 1 for? would it be patent one (as patents would expire and start over)? what would be the value? any detail would be greatly appreciated! i was asked to perhaps take it on a television show but have had trouble properly authenticating it and determining a value.

The 1 is the quarter it was made in the year. So it would be the first quarter and J is for 1964.

so in the picture of the 5, what can you tell me about the gillette on the far right? is it indeed ww2? inside, it has the J on far left and opposite that, on far right is a number 1. what is the 1 for? would it be patent one (as patents would expire and start over)? what would be the value? any detail would be greatly appreciated! i was asked to perhaps take it on a television show but have had trouble properly authenticating it and determining a value.

WW2. I've seen a few GEM khaki kits pop up on ebay France over the years and they're all identified as WW2.

Thanks...picked it up from Canada so an obvious connection there. Mind you the ad posters for a GEM dama khaki service set usually say it's from 1918 and the US entered the war in 1917 so it could be from WW1.

Are you talking to me Josh? Got lucky on fleabay.

Last edited:
Wow thats a long time ago and it still looks great cool find. Srry took a long time to respond im in school with kids in the home stuff is hectic lol

New to the forum after looking up some info on an older NDC gold tech. I was looking through my local antique store and found a Navy set. It looks just like the khaki set but states "Navy Set". It is a "Made in the USA" model. Does anyone have any info on this? Very little found on the ol' google machine regarding the Navy version of this. Seems pretty scarce.

Hello gentlemen, I have what I was told at the time of purchase is a WWII Khaki set. I have only seen one other on eBay in two years. It also was billed as a WWII Khaki set. Can this be true? The razor has a 1918 serial number, and "Property Of US Army" on the bottom of it. Here's some photos-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415910235.786728.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415910261.803380.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415910283.653552.jpg

Yes I know that, that's why I have questions about this set. I've only seen two types of Khaki sets from WWI, and this configuration is not one of them. I suspect the US Army had a batch of these stored after WWI, and when WWII broke out, they reconfigured the Khaki set into the set I have now. As we all know, there were many different razor sets issued during WWII. This must be one of them.

But it doesn't look like the WWII sets either. And a WWII set would have a Tech, not an Old Type. I'd say it's just a variant of the WWI Khaki Sets.

Top Bottom