What's new

How would you guys compare scs very v to guerlain vetiver?

Is it as long lasting?

I liked guerlain vetiver but for the money it didn't last very long on me and for the money if scs very v is just as good I will get that instead.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,
I don't know how our Very V fragrance compares to Guerlain Vetiver. We make all of the fragrances in EDT strength and strive for a minimum 5 hours staying power when they are trialed before we add them to the website.

Maybe someone will know how the fragrance compares, I would be interested in that.
Sue

I just received a sample of the Very V. I also have the Geurlain Vetiver, which I like a lot. I'll try the Very V tomorrow and give a report on it, a bit of a comparison, in this thread.

:cool:

Sue, if we decide that I'm going to send you the sample of #88, I'll send you some Guerlain Vetiver as well. I've not smelled your Very V, but perhaps some day I will...I'm in mid-arguement with my wife this very moment about my ADs, and why I am not allowed to display MY collections of things that interest me in MY (her term) "man cave", since apparently it's only mine so long as it jives with whatever plan SHE has for MY space, but whatever...until I can make room, and whittle my stuff down to one each of whatever it is, I'm not allowed to try anything new.

Oops...guess now's not a good time to tell her about the 10 pucks of SCS soaps and 4 *** I just ordered, eh? Lol...F her...I'm taking back my space...

/END RANT :blushing::blushing::blushing:

OH dear ..... that's not good. :frown:

Yes, please send me your sample and I'll also order a sample. "IF" there is any left, I'll return it to you.

I'll put a sample of Very V in your order. (it's small, so you can hide it).
Sue

I applied the Very V about 30 minutes ago. First impression - it's very nice! Very V is very, very similar to Guerlain, possibly not quite as much of the powdery, soapy scent at least initially as Geurlain, but that's just a difference, not good or bad.

I do like quite a few different vetivers in addition to these two. Some are very different, for example, Floris is very strong or intense, L'Occitane Vetyver has a darker, sweeter, heavier smoky woodsiness to it, and Roger & Gallet Vetiver Cologne Water has a bit of citrus on top which gives it a much lighter feel.

I'll report back later on the longevity of the Very V, but as I said, so far it's really nice and at this point I'd say if you like Geurlain, you'll like this equally well and the Very V comes at much better price.

Here's the rest of the story, at least from my perspective.

At about 1:00 pm today, the scent of the Very V could still be picked on the back of my hand, although very lightly, so I'd say 6 1/2 hours is very good "staying power". And I usually put EdT's on fairly heavily, sometimes erring on the "too much" side. But today I used only 1/4 to 1/3 of the 1 ml sample, just putting it on my fingertip and then rubbing it on the back of my hand 2 or 3 times. I also rubbed it behind my ears and on my lower throat.

The difference between Very V and Geurlain came through in the middle, about 1/2 to 1 hour into it, when, at the point that Geurlain begins to become much more "soapy & powdery" for me, the Very V became slightly floral instead, blended in with the vetiver. I really liked this, and believe this is different enough for me to consider this a very nice new addition to my vetiver mix, with a unique blend of scents to stand apart from the others very nicely.

I like this Very V a lot, Sue. Congratulations on a unique, long-lasting fragrance that is a very nice addition to the vetiver EdT choices! Any vetiver lover should have this one in the mix.

I hope we hear from others, to see if there is any agreement, or disagreement. Either way will be welcome, as we all know scent preferences and to some extent interpretations are very individualistic.

I've just discovered Red Vetiver by Montale. I've tried Guerlain and L'occitane Vetivers, and Red Vetiver is more expensive, but if you can find it, it is amazing.

Thank you Randy for sharing your thoughts on Very V. Vetiver is such a love-hate fragrance. When I starting using vetiver I hated it, my son who at the time helped me occassionally would not have anything to do with it and didn't want to help if it was vetiver. He still can't stand it. It has grown on me and I like it now but Wendy doesn't. :smile:

As you said, fragrance is very subjective.
Sue

It sounds like a winner for the price

Thanks

Jim

Yes, I didn't comment on the price, since I bought mine as a sample along with several others that I wanted to try from St. Charles Shave (SCS). The price is incredibly affordable. We forget sometimes that some of the EdT's we talk about are in excess of $100 and more for 3 to 4 ozs. The Very V is $16 for 3.3 ozs. At that price, there's no excuse for anyone not trying it to see if they like vetiver. Or to see if they like this version well enough to add it to the rotation.

I appreciate your comment, Sue, about vetiver not being for everyone. But for any of you gents who are interested in fragrances, you should try vetiver, and you should realize that you can't just sniff it once out of the bottle and know if you like it or not. Most scents, and particularly the Very V, will change over the hours that you wear them. Usually there's an initial "blast" of scent when you first apply it, and within 30 to 60 minutes the scent softens and changes into something a little different for anywhere from an hour to several hours, before settling down to its final light version before it "expires". Some scents need to be applied more heavily or more lightly than others. It's worth experimenting a little to see what you really like.

I agree that Vetiver is something that needs to be experienced. The first time I tried a vetiver scent it was Comme des Garcons Vettiveru at a CdG boutique in Tokyo. I'd been talking to the guys working there about an article in the New York Times about CdG fragrances and they handed me this enormous atomizer--it looked like a Listerine botttle--and encouraged to me to put some on. A couple of blasts and I was enveloped in a dizzying haze of vetiver. It actually made my head spin. As it dried down, I really liked the fragrance and I bought a bottle. Since then, I've tried some Guerlain and some others and I've learned that I really like vetivers in general. Still, sometimes when I pick up that CdG bottle, I get a little chill as I remember the first blast.

Last edited:
Before I came to B&B, I didn't even know what vetyver was.....now it seems to be an ingredient in half the products I read about! I love some and can't stand others.

Top Bottom