What's new

"Dear Chip"

Having had some fun seeing Chip's reaction to my cooking peccadilloes, how about a new thread posting your "go-to" favourites or off-the-cuff kitchen madness?

I will begin with the breakfasts this weekend. I have some time on my hands, due to a little motorcycle fall, so I've spent some time in the kitchen.

Today, I got out the BACON (little nod to the bacon lovers)

Sasquatch Sandwich

"Sasquatch" sourdough based grain bread with:
2 rashers of bacon, pan cooked with garlic paste and sage

Topped with:
Nine year old cheddar
Danish Blue
Sweet (cocktail) pickled onion slices
Thai sweet chili sauce

The SigFem looks at me like I'm eating a live spider, so I made her:

Banana Muffin French Toast

2 banana muffins, halved by cutting off the tops (I make better banana bread but her baking skills are otherwise much superior to mine)

1 egg
Heavy Cream
Glort of vanilla
Smidge of cinnamon
Drizzle of honey

Beat these together with a fork in a shallow bowl. When you're ready to go, give the muffin halves a good soaking, top and bottom.

Finely chopped almonds
Very soft butter

Blend these together and let the butter set back up.

Orange marmalade

Pan cook the soaked muffins. Some people say only flip once but I use softer heat and make sure things are cooked through, so I flip repeatedly. Light brown cooked sides on soft heat is pretty much done.

Serve them up with the almond butter and marmalade on the side.

Goes without saying that there's plenty of coffee on hand :biggrin:

- John

hehehe

but, seriously, my most loyal subject has been MIA for over a week. Tho, I did get a PM from Mrs. Chip.. no mention of the Mr. tho.

Well, dang. I guess he'll be back when he needs shaving support.

"Hi, my name is Chip and . . . I'm a wetshaver"

" HI, CHIP"

John, I hope you and the bike are doing fine!
My favorite breakfast that gives me strange looks is some simple fried eggs, runny yolks please, with a big shot of Balsamic vinegar that gets cooked down with a little butter salt and pepper. Just make sure that your face isn't over the pan when that vinegar hits the heat! :eek6: Soak up the liquid with some nice toasted bread, sourdough is always a good choice.

Off topic; In getting ready for my Iron Butt ride I've been watching "The Long Way 'Round" with Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor. If you haven't seen it, find it NOW!:wink: I just noticed that the only time they get into trouble with cars is in Calgary. Ewan is rear-ended and a car backs into Charlie. Maybe I need to rethink my wish to ride to Calgary:lol:

John, I hope you and the bike are doing fine!

Just a little sore, thanks, Andy. The bike needs a new mirror, is all. Advantage to the enduros I ride. (KLR 650)

My favorite breakfast that gives me strange looks is some simple fried eggs, runny yolks please, with a big shot of Balsamic vinegar that gets cooked down with a little butter salt and pepper. Just make sure that your face isn't over the pan when that vinegar hits the heat! :eek6: Soak up the liquid with some nice toasted bread, sourdough is always a good choice.

Sounds good to me and a nice addition to the thread :biggrin:

Off topic; In getting ready for my Iron Butt ride I've been watching "The Long Way 'Round" with Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor. If you haven't seen it, find it NOW!:wink: I just noticed that the only time they get into trouble with cars is in Calgary. Ewan is rear-ended and a car backs into Charlie. Maybe I need to rethink my wish to ride to Calgary:lol:

Not so off topic. You'll need decent breakfasts to make a long ride. :smile:

Ahh, Calgary's all right, not so different from most cities. Besides, you want that picture, don't you? :biggrin:

When is your departure date? Or not set yet?

- John

Ummm, guys . . .

A little side-banter does not a humour thread make. I didn't post this to try to compete with "3 word" and "no title" and the like and it can't.

It would be nice if it sat out where someone would see it sometime.

So, either put it back where it was, please or at the very least someone step forward and claim responsibility for it.

Thanks.
- John

Ahh, Calgary's all right, not so different from most cities. Besides, you want that picture, don't you? :biggrin:

When is your departure date? Or not set yet?

- John

I'll be beginning the Iron Butt ride very early on September 9th, and finish (fingers crossed) afternoon on September 10th. The 10th holds some deep emotions as it will be an anniversary date of another challenge I've been on. I might have a total break down after my last gas receipt prints:frown:
I want Calgary to be next year's big ride, but we'll have to see how things unfold. Work has been threatening to freeze all vacation time for a while now, so we'll see:rolleyes:

Back on topic... If you like vinegar in your cooking, try cutting some plain white potatoes into 1/4 inch cubes, fry in a little olive oil and butter mix until they are all nice and deep brown. Then pour about 1/3 cup of a mix of half balsamic and half red wine vinegar (more balsamic for a sweeter finish, more red wine for a more acidic bite) over top and give a little stir until all the liquid is soaked up. Then, I plate it up as a side dish with some shredded Munster cheese on top.

Looking after my niece this week along with my friend's cats, so I'm late enough getting away in the morning that we have time for breakfast.

This morning's centrepiece was:

Yoghurt Parfait

Yoghurt
Papaya
Watermelon
Honeydew
Grapes
Granola
Cinnamon sugar

Slice the fruit

Parfait glasses (or, in this case large A&W mugs that I, er, acquired a few years back)

Layer of granola in the bottom
Layer of yoghurt
Layer of one kind of fruit

Etc

Try to finish with yoghurt, so that the sprinkle of cinnamon sugar is visible. It didn't matter, since the niece wanted whipped cream on top.

:biggrin: enjoy

PS: Can't wait to see your contribution, Dex

Last edited:
B

BrightFutur

From my post in gentlemens essentials. I cannot get enough of this chicken!

I thought I would share my favourite lemon chicken recipe. It takes some time but it is well worth the effort. You can deviate on how you bread/fry the chicken, but the sauce is to die for, and I find the marinade pretty essential.

I really hate the standard yellow food colouring + lemon flavour + High fructose corn syrup that every Chinese take-out has. I find that a lot of the sweetness in this comes from the shredded pineapple and its juice. It's a whole new world compared to the yellow dye meets corn syrup.

Ingredients:

Group 1:

-4 Whole boneless chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1 inch diagonal strips (Put the chicken in the freezer for about 1/2 an hour - it will slice easier. Or use chicken tenderloin - no slicing required)
-2 tbsp light soy sauce
-1/2 tbsp sesame seed oil
-1 tsp salt
-1 tbsp gin

Group 2:

-3 egg whites, beaten frothy
-1 cup of corn starch

Group 3:

-3/4 cup sugar
-1/2 cup white vinegar
-1 cup chicken broth
-2 tbsp cornstarch
-2tbsp water
-3 lemons, grated rind and juice.

Group 4:

-1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated (be generous!)
-2 cloves garlic, smashed
-1/2 cup shredded canned pineapple (You can just use a whole small can, including the juice)
-3 small carrots, cut into match stick sized julienne (I usually buy a bag of matchstick carrots precut)
-1/4 head iceberg lettuce, very finely shredded
-3 green onions, finely cut
-1 whole red or green pepper, finely cut (Matchstick size)

Method:

1 - Place Cut chicken in bowl, combine group 1 ingredients, pour over chicken and marinate in fridge, 30 minutes minimum (I tend to go over an hour if possible), then drain chicken and throw out marinade
2 - Add chicken pieces to the beaten egg white, toss to coat, place corn starch on a plate and coat chicken pieces with cornstarch
3 - Add about 1 inch of oil to a large pot or frying pan and cook the chicken, a few pieces at a time - about 2 minutes per 'batch' (It will be VERY light brownish white), drain and keep warm in the oven. *
4 - Place the 3rd group of ingredients in a large pot and bring to boil, and stir until mixture thickens.
5 - Add 4th group of ingredients (Except lettuce) to hot lemon sauce, mix, let simmer for a few minutes to cook the carrots slightly, remove from heat, add lettuce and pour over chicken.**

Serve with rice.
Serves 4 very generously.

I tend to make double the amount I think I will need for two reasons:

1 - So I can have leftovers (They don't last long)
2 - Because I often underestimate how much of this my guests will eat.

If you can pull this off without making a mess of the kitchen I think you can score some real brownie points with SWMBO (Or HWMBO for that matter)

*For a lower fat alternative, you can lay the chicken out on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. It's not quite as good but is lower fat.
**My mom likes to let the chicken sit in the sauce for about 15 minutes to absorb it. I like to drown the chicken in sauce then eat right away - more crispy. It's up to you.

OK, for you John, I post a very rare recipe.
From "Recipes And Memories From Mama Cash's Kitchen" courtesy of Johnny "The Man In Black" Cash.

Johnny Cash's "Old Iron Pot" Family Style Chili
5 Lbs sirloin steak
3 pkgs McCormicks Chili Seasoning Mix *
Mexene chili powder *
Spice Islands chili con carne seasoning *
Cumin *
Thyme *
Sage Leaves *
Chopped Raw Onions *
Chopped Chili Peppers *
3-4 cans red kidney beans
3-4 cans whole tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
Garlic Powder *
Onion Powder *
2 Tbsp. sugar
Salt to Taste

Chop steak and cook until medium, with a little shortening added. Add packages of chili seasoning mix, cook for five minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, spices, raw onions, sugar, chili powder, and/or chili con carne mix. Taste.
(NOTE: if the chili is too hot for the children, or the ladies, add one to two cans of tomatoes.) Add tomato paste. If chili seems too thick, add water. Simmer on low for 20 minutes. Serve with soda crackers, Pepsi or Coke.
This will serve 12 people - three helpings each!

* Indicates that you must guess the amounts to use. I never measure them.

Note from John : This chili will be better tomorrow than today if properly taken care of overnight. I also have been known to substitute things, such as snake meat, for the steak.

Great recipes, guys!

That chicken is going on tonight (with some plain cooked for Max, of course). As for the chili, it's going on the menu for the club meeting on Wednesday.

This could be a useful thread, as far as I see it, being a decent but often uninspired cook.

Thanks,

- John

B

BrightFutur

I have no clue how 'authentic' this recipe is, or even what its origins are. I know they are a favourite. I find them a little testy to make (My filo skills are....poor, to say the least) but every time I do I am reminded of why I love them!

Empanadas:

Ingredients:

-2 tbsp olive oil
-1 small inion, finely chopped
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2lb lean ground beef
-1/4 cup raisins
-1/4tsp salt
-1/2 tsp paprika
-1/4 tsp ground cumin
-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
-6 green olives, chopped (Optional, but I love them)
-grated rind of one orange (Very important. Do not leave out)
-1 tbsp parsley, chopped
-2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
-1/2lb filo pastry, and some melted butter.

Method:

1 - Heat oil in skillet, add onion and saute until transparent
2 - Add garlic and crumble in meat - stirring constantly until cooked
3- Remove from heat and drain fat off, if necessary
4 - Add raisins, spices, orange rind, olives, and parsley. Mix well!
5 - Place a spoonful of filling on 2 buttered filo strips and add a touch of chopped egg.
6 - Roll into a triangle, brush with melted butter
7 - Bake in a preheated oven until golden 15 to 20 minutes
8 - Serve hot (Sour cream for dipping is optional)

I wish I could explain how you roll them, as I found it painfully difficult at first (And still do...). I will see if I can find or make some kind of diagram. I usually cut the filo pastry bundle in half.

I cannot remember what temperature I bake them at. But it is not terribly important as the filling is already cooked, and you simply want to brown the filo pastry.

I often try to make a large batch, as they freeze quite well.

B

BrightFutur

Thought I would throw in another family favourite! (Reading the family cookbook this morning....)

This is, IMHO, the best thing you can put on a baked ham. Truly terrific!

' Curried Fruit Sauce for Ham'

Ingredients:

-1 tin each*,
-Pineapple rings
-Peach halves
-Pear halves
-1 small bottle of maraschino cherries
-1/3 bottle candied ginger, or 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
-1/4 cup butter
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1 tsp mild curry powder
-2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp fruit juice

Method:

1 - Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the brown sugar, ginger, and curry. Stir.
2 - Drain the fruit juice from the fruit and add it to the pot. Save 1/4 cup
3 - Dissolve the corn starch in this fruit juice.
4 - Add this to the pot and heat gently to boiling over medium heat, until the sauce thickens
5 - Add the fruit, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to glaze the fruit. Taste the sauce - the curry should be sweet tasting, not spicy. If the curry is not pronounced enough, add more by 1/8 tsps until you get the flavour you want. If the sauce is not thick enough, add another tbsp of cornstarch mixed in cold water and bring to a boil to thicken
6 - Serve the curried fruit with baked ham

*Buy fruit packed in fruit juice not syrup

With Summer Here, salads are always nice to have. But how about a good hearty Taco Salad. This is one of my favorite summer salads, and is often requested by my kids.

This needs to be made ahead of time because it needs time to cool. But if I'm pressed for time, I don't add the additional water and don't simmer it, just heat it up and let it cool, adding just enough water to rinse out the salad dressing bottle.

1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp. oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 can chili beans in chili sauce
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz) bottle french dressing (the cheap stuff works fine for this)
1 head lettuce or buy the shredded lettuce
1-2 pkg. tortilla chips, OR doritos, OR frito chips
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1 cup chopped tomatoes (optional)
sour cream (optional)
salsa (optional)

• In a large skillet over medium-high heat brown lightly onions in oil. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain excess fat.

• Stir in taco seasoning, chili beans, kidney beans, french dressing.

• Fill the dressing bottle 2/3 full of water and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

• COOL COMPLETELY

• Crush chips if desired. And toss the chips in a large bowl with the lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. Add the cooled meat mixture to the lettuce mixture and mix well.

Serve and top with salsa and sour cream if desired.

This is so cool

Okay, breakfast this morning:

Sirloin Wraps

Sirloin patties, quartered and wrapped with bacon (like bacon scallops)

barbequed on medium-low heat with garlic and cayenne pepper

I also made Andy's malt vinegar hash browns, as per his post above.

Sasquatch bread from Guy's on the side and plenty of coffee.

:biggrin:

- John

I'm copying and pasting like mad, into my digital cookbook :biggrin:

Top Bottom