What's new

Can a bent open comb tooth be straighten by hand

give it a try,
im assuming it bent from being dropped or something , it should as easily bend back,

just try to do it in one go without wiggleing, or you could snap it off

R

rainman

It depends on how bad that it bothers you that it it bent. In some cases, it doesn't effect the shave. Also there is the possibility of breaking off the tooth in the bending process.

can a bent open comb tooth be straighten by hand and pliers?

Please do not start trying to fix the razor before reading this post! You can ruin a perfectly good shaver by trying to fix bent teeth.

What kind of open comb razor? Which tooth on the razor is bent? Do not try to bend any of the teeth of the razor with pliers or by hand. I learned that lesson the hard way myself.

Post pictures of the bent teeth and the experts will be able to tell you if it is possible to fix your razor.

Steve

I tried to unbend a bent tooth without success. In frustration I ended up mangling the tooth pretty badly. After I basically gave up trying to bend it with a prying action using a screwdriver head I got rough with vice grips and only managed to chew up the tooth without being able to bend it.

Please do not start trying to fix the razor before reading this post! You can ruin a perfectly good shaver by trying to fix bent teeth.

What kind of open comb razor? Which tooth on the razor is bent? Do not try to bend any of the teeth of the razor with pliers or by hand. I learned that lesson the hard way myself.

Post pictures of the bent teeth and the experts will be able to tell you if it is possible to fix your razor.

Steve

i bought 2 combs last week and love them..but i seen some people selling bent tooth combs and wondered if they can be straightened. and how.

I consider myself an expert and I still have a 50% failure.
I've heated them with a torch and still had them break.
After I followed yor advice and used a small torch I have found it easier, but even then I only try if it's so bad it's unshaveable anyway, so I don't try anymore.
But before that I ruined a british new and a gillette old :frown::frown:

So it's better not to try unless you have a small propane torch and the razor is bent pretty bad.
If everyone is out there breaking them by not doing it properly, we will all run out of guards without missing teeth soon.

Edit: Maybe the OLD style I broke wasn't a gillette, it doesn't have anything stamped on it at all.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I consider myself an expert and I still have a 50% failure.
I've heated them with a torch and still had them break.

+1

I'm no expert. I broke mine off the plate. It needs to be heated up, a lot!

I will be the odd duck and say I've bent back a single tooth on two separate razors, cold, on a padded vice and a rounded punch. It's difficult, and nerve wracking, but they've come out acceptably. That said, many others with more experience than I suggests against it, and I'd follow their advice before mine.

thanks for input, i hope i never may have to straighten mine out, i have like 5 coming from the bay and b/b mall.

They thicker end teeth are freaking hard to do especially on New heads. If its any other teeth with in the middle its a piece of cake while using a small jewelry pliers.

I bent mine back no problem. I did it with needle nose pliers, but went very slowly. My advise would be, don't buy any razors that have bent teeth. Then you won't have to worry about trying to fix it.

They thicker end teeth are freaking hard to do especially on New heads. If its any other teeth with in the middle its a piece of cake while using a small jewelry pliers.

so the outside teeth are harder to bend? what bout the torch heat, wouldnt that discolor the plating/gold?

I bent mine back no problem. I did it with needle nose pliers, but went very slowly. My advise would be, don't buy any razors that have bent teeth. Then you won't have to worry about trying to fix it.

but some with bent teeth are bargains ,and i'm thinking bout buying more diffrent models as a way of trying out the different open comb razors, without breaking my bank. also i fixed a few gilletes with small pliers so i wanted some advise and tips before trying.

I've bent back the teeth of Gillette open by working slowly can carefully with needle nose pliers. I think that part of the trick there is how severe the bend is. If the bend is such that a "crease" is formed, then it might be hopeless.

Top Bottom