What's new

Fighting the AD...Think I'm Winning So Far

Okay, after surfing through the B&B posts pretty obsessively for the past few days I'm at least aware of the phenomenon known as "AD," or Acquisition Disorder.

I'm fighting the good fight and trying not to buy every bright and shiny new razor - or vintage razor, for that matter- I see here and elsewhere on the 'net. I haven't ordered a crazy amount of soaps or shaving creams, either. I think I've been pretty good.

Here's what I've gotten and/or ordered so far:

1. Gillette first quarter 1964 Slim Adjustable Razor. Got this in an antique store for $7 and it is working out fine. I think I'm getting the hang of using a DE again, and although I'd like to try a Merkur HD, I'm probably going to stick with the Gillette for a while.

2. Van Der Hagen Bowl, Brush, and Soap kit from Walmart. This was the first thing I bought after the razor, and the bowl is cool and I like the soap and it seems to be fairly well regarded by more experienced B&B members. The brush doesn't seem to be too great, but that brings me to

3. Crabtree & Evelyn Pure Badger Brush. This was the only $35 brush they had. I wasn't ready to splurge on a pricier brush, but did want to try a badger and something better than the Walmart brush I have. I've read some reviews here that say even the C&E pure badger is a decent brush for the money.

4. Pinaud Clubman Aftershave, and a bottle of Witch hazel. This was cheap, and I like the barber shop smell of the Clubman.

5. Toothbrush stand from Target for my razor.

I've ordered:

6. West Coast Shaving Blade sampler pack.

7. Proraso Shaving Cream from classic shaving.com.

I also got a free sample of C&E Sienna aftershave- they were out of the shaving cream- and a couple samples of the Nomad shaving cream.

I'm going to try to stop for a while, and just use my toys and get the technique of DE wet shaving down pat before moving on to more new toys.

Honest. That's my plan. :001_rolle

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good luck... I bet $5 that you will buy something pretty soon... Since I'm betting with myself, I can't loose :biggrin:

You cant fight it you will lose eventually, today I bought three different aftershaves I already have five already. :tongue_sm

its easy to stop buying when youre expecting stuff in the post, its when its all arrived and youve nothing coming that youll feel a void that you just have to fill, thats the true nature af AD :)

Good luck... I bet $5 that you will buy something pretty soon... Since I'm betting with myself, I can't loose :biggrin:

It's not gambling if you expect to lose. :biggrin:

You cant fight it you will lose eventually, today I bought three different aftershaves I already have five already. :tongue_sm

Well you have one for every day of the week, plus Zeepsday.:tongue_sm

You haven't heard of Zeepsday? - http://amapedia.amazon.com/view/The...nce+Fiction+November,+1956:+Zeepsday/id=71197

Yep, it's easy to spend a lot more than you were expecting once you start hanging around here! But for me, after I read about how popular the Merkur HD was, I had to have one----so that was my FIRST DE. Then, I was always reading about "Superspeed this and Superspeed that", so I bought a '66 Superspeed (my "birthyear razor"). Then I was wondering weather an adjustable would be gentler on my skin, so I got a Merkur Progress. I didn't like it at all and sent it back. Of course, the straight razor bug bit me and I bought a Dovo Tortoise 5/8 new and later a Hess 44---both of which were just plain beautiful to look at and also fun to learn to shave with! I just don't care for all the stropping and honing. However, through all this, the Merkur HD has been my "go to" razor and is undoubtedly my hands-down favorite. I eventually sold both str8's and now could be completely satisfied with only my HD. I'll keep the SS, but I like the HD much, much more. The weight, feel, looks, performance, finish, and simplicity are everything I could want in a razor. I probably will never buy another DE. After using a Merkur HD, your Gillette will feel like a toy-----guaranteed!! This has been my experience! Also, the ends of a lot of blades stick out the ends of a SS pretty far and it's pretty easy to slice a nostril or ear lobe with them! The head is narrower than the HD's.

I think I've been pretty good.

I'm going to try to stop for a while, and just use my toys and get the technique of DE wet shaving down pat before moving on to more new toys.

Honest. That's my plan. :001_rolle

The simple fact that you started a thread on this makes me think you already lost your fight somehow......:devil:

The simple fact that you started a thread on this makes me think you already lost your fight somehow......:devil:

Okay, I guess you're right. :biggrin:

Today I spent five dollars on an old Gillette of unknown model- to me- in an antique store and a friend who owns another store gave me another two. They need a LOT of cleaning. The one I actually bought is missing its bottom piece. None are are TTO.

My wife says this new hobby and my OCD could be a bad combination. At least so far it's considerably cheaper than some of my other obsessions, like watches. :001_rolle

Okay, I guess you're right. :biggrin:

Today I spent five dollars on an old Gillette of unknown model- to me- in an antique store and a friend who owns another store gave me another two. They need a LOT of cleaning. The one I actually bought is missing its bottom piece. None are are TTO.

My wife says this new hobby and my OCD could be a bad combination. At least so far it's considerably cheaper than some of my other obsessions, like watches. :001_rolle

You really, really need to get to the BST. Those are my final words on that matter.

Okay, I give. I did a search for BST and looked under the newbie terminology...what is BST?

Edit- Ahhh, did another search. The Buy/Sell/Trade board.

I get you now. :)

Last edited:
When I first took up wetshaving about 2 years ago, I did it to get a better shave and to save money on cartridge razors (sound familiar?). I bought a 38C with absolutely no intentions whatsoever of ever buying another razor. Well, as they say, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions and I now own about 150 razors.

And I love them all! :biggrin:

Did you not notice the GEM, for free to a member of the US Armed Forces who is deployed?

No, but that is terribly cool. I'm not a military guy anyway, but most of my friends are prior military it seems and I'm a military brat myself. Just a humble flat foot here.

Top Bottom