What's new

Just a couple of questions

Hi fellow Badger and Bladers,

I'm new here. Or, should I say I've been reading for some months now and just decided to make a thread.

Now, I'm sure the questions may have been asked already but since it's my first thread ...

So, I currently shave with a Mach3 Turbo and practicing the lathering process with Proraso and a cheap Omega boar bristle brush (~$14). I'll soon switch to a DE razor (typical starter DE, Merkur HD).

I just read joel's guide for building up a lather. I was wondering since boar bristles are tougher, would it be harder to build up a later with it? I'm probably not using hot enough water but I find that as the brush is being 'broken' into after several lathers, the lathers are getting much better (thicker and more). Perhaps, I need more practice and experimenting. Also, the bristles are longer, does that affect how one would normally build up a lather when using a brush with shorter bristles?

I find that using a bowl is better than using a mug. The diameter of the mug is way to small for swirl comfortably. I haven't done a lot of searching, but I assume there are more shaving mugs than bowls made to be sold? If I'm right, how come? If you don't mind that I ask, does it matter if the bowl/mug is made of nickel, glass, ceramic, etc.? For some reason, I think ceramic would be best.

Also, I think I have fairly sensitive skin. I find the prickling sensation of the boar brush to be quite massaging and it is probably more efficient at removing dead skin and preparing the hairs for shaving (vs. badger brush - hope I'm not making another false assumption). I remember reading that the majority of the men here stating that they have sensitive skin, does that mean mine is less sensitive? I do find it hard to believe. Being of Oriental descent and just 21, I assume I should one of the softest skin. Or, is equating soft and sensitive not right? Ahh. I'm getting confused now, haha. I can see how the two are different but I can see how they overlap in meaning.

Specifically, I only shave above and below the lips. I keep the thin (although long and not too visible, well no one has made a mention) cheek hairs alone. I'm pretty stingy with money and have used my Mach3 for many months now on the 2 cartridges that was provided in the pack. The carts are becoming a little uncomfortable to use, as well I only shave every 3 days or so.

I can't wait to hop on the DE train as I hate shaving against the grain and without doing so, it's quite impossible to get a close shave with a Mach3.

Oh geez, I didn't intend for a long read, sorry.

Thanks a bunch,
bucow

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

For your questions...

Badger is usually best to build lather but you might prefer boar or even syntec... I want to invest in a nice badger eventually but I still have the same bristle brush since I started last year. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You might need more efforts to build the lather but you will get the same result then a badger. The brush that you have is a good start. That brush might have longer hair but I wouldn't worry about it. I would say, have a look at Jim's tutorial, it might help.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21136

There are mugs specifically for lather out there. You might want to use a mug that has a larger opening than a regular mug. Something like a cappucino mug. I personnaly prefer a small bowl, some prefer mugs. Ceramic is great for a lather bowl/mug. You could have a metal bowl and it would work. However, something that keeps heat works best.

Bristle brushes can be picky but usualy they are not. As for badger, depending on the grade of the hair, it could also be picky or very soft.

Finally, for the DE, I would recommend getting a sample pack as you might find some blades perform poorly and some other are great. That varies from one to another.

Good luck!

Hi Luc!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Great tips!

That was the next thing I was going to ask. I was going to get Derby blades as most swear by them. Since I never used a DE before, how do the blades feel on your skin when shaving? Is it like a 'scraping' kind of feel? I wonder how much more of a scrape (ultimately, giving that burn sensation) compared to a Mach3. Not sure if my skin is prepared to take it.

Luc

Staff member
No worries!

Merkur are not the best blades around but it's an experience... Derby are good, I don't like them personnaly, I think they are ok but they might suit you. If you can get some Personna Red, Derby, Astra superior platinum and Feathers that would be great. However, you do not need to get all of those. You can always start with 1 pack of Derby and see how you go.

As for the 'scrapping' sensation, no, that's not normal. The blade should slide smoothly and cut the whiskers without any pressure, effort. You should not have any pulling sensation or burning sensation. You should hear the noise of the beard/hair being cutted.

Oh, so you don't even feel the edge of the blade do its work?

Because with a Mach3, I angle it so that I can feel the blade 'scrape' (for lack of a better word) the skin in order to get a closer shave. It's a little rough in feeling but it doesn't hurt or burn.

I do feel the pull which is why I'm looking into DEs!! :biggrin:

Luc

Staff member
You will feel the edge yes... I think I understand what you mean by 'scrapping' now.

The blade should slide on your face without any effort or pulling sensation, let's put it this way. The feeling will be there but better :biggrin:

Top Bottom