What's new

Cigars

I know I have a lot of fellow cigar aficianados on the board here, and I wanted to share a new find of mine. They are the brand NUB, and they are the business. The connecticut is the one I tried, and it was delicious!

Which one did you try? I recently asked about the NUB line here in another thread, and DustinL pretty much nailed it on the head. I ended up ordering a 5-pack sampler of NUB's and I wasn't impressed. They smoked fine for the first inch, the rest of the smoke was hard to draw, harsh, and very hot going down. Thumbs down from me.

I was on a forum for a few years with Sam Leccia, the creator of the NUB. He worked for the Oliva family as a territory rep and he came up with his concept and sold it to the Olivas. Gotta give him props for that. He's a geniunely nice guy, and did MANY generous cigar bombings. Good People.

I've not had the NUB, but Dustin is a BOTL of mine, and I trust his judgement regarding cigars I'd like as we have similar taste preferences.
That being said, I'd recommend everyone try one for themselves, for Sam and the economys' sake. Maybe you'll love it...

I was on a forum for a few years with Sam Leccia, the creator of the NUB. He worked for the Oliva family as a territory rep and he came up with his concept and sold it to the Olivas. Gotta give him props for that. He's a geniunely nice guy, and did MANY generous cigar bombings. Good People.

I've not had the NUB, but Dustin is a BOTL of mine, and I trust his judgement regarding cigars I'd like as we have similar taste preferences.
That being said, I'd recommend everyone try one for themselves, for Sam and the economys' sake. Maybe you'll love it...

I went to a NUB debut and also discussed these cigars with Sam at length on another board where everyone was very obviously against the marketing aspect of the brand.

I think they smoke well, but I've found that I like the mareva or petit corona size much more for it's flavor delivery. Not to mention, my humidors are so jam packed right now that the damn things can barely breathe.

The two I've tried burned quite hot for me. I don't consider myself a fast smoker, and don't usually have problems like that. Corona or petite corona are probably the most common sizes I smoke.

Made by the Oliva Family, so it should be a quality product.

The size has prevented me from trying it though.
It is difficult to smoke those short, fat ones without overheating them and ruining the taste.

Wow! I thought everyone would like them more! All my friends out here have been smoking cigars like crazy, and everyone has tried everything it seems. (I am in Iraq still) I had the connecticut, and it was great! It was not too hot, but It also took me about an hour or so to smoke it. I have some more on the way, and I will post about them. I really like pretty much all Gurkha cigars, on cigars international you can get a 20 stick sampler for 70 bucks. It includes a Titan, a Beauty, a Beast, Triple Ligero, Double Ligero, and many others. Those first 5 cigars right there are over $100 retail. 5 Vegas cigars are quite good too. YMMV!

Wow! I thought everyone would like them more! All my friends out here have been smoking cigars like crazy, and everyone has tried everything it seems. (I am in Iraq still) I had the connecticut, and it was great! It was not too hot, but It also took me about an hour or so to smoke it. I have some more on the way, and I will post about them. I really like pretty much all Gurkha cigars, on cigars international you can get a 20 stick sampler for 70 bucks. It includes a Titan, a Beauty, a Beast, Triple Ligero, Double Ligero, and many others. Those first 5 cigars right there are over $100 retail. 5 Vegas cigars are quite good too. YMMV!

I can't really get down on Connie shade wrappers anymore. I do enjoy the flavor of them to an extent but they seem to sour on me regardless of the stick, how slow I smoke, etc.

If I do smoke NC, it'll be a habano or corojo wrapper. Tired of maduro as well :closedeye

I finally got to try one and it was the Connecticut. First of all I like maduro wrappers the best and usually find the Connecticut's almost boring. The Nub was good for the first half and then got very warm and then hot. I think this smoke lasted me about 30 minutes and the guillotine cut probably didn't help. Maybe a punch would have made the experience better?

A nice bowl of Old Joe Krantz from Cornell and Diehl trumps the best dog rockets I've ever smoked. I have a rule about cigars "two a decade whether I need them or not."

The torpedo shapes feel less awkward for me than the other NUBs, and the Habano's my favorite wrapper. I'd still classify them as "pleasant but not spectacular, and a bit gimmicky."

I used to be all about toros and torps, but now my favorite vitola is the corona gorda---usually about 5.75 by 46. The Illusione ~eccj~ is a good example of this size. Perfect combo of draw and flavor imho.

NANP™

I've had a couple -- not impressed. Certainly not worth the hype. That's not to say that they are a "bad" cigar, they're not -- it's just that you can get a much better smoke for the same money.

As rmrdaddy said, Sam is a great guy and a true BOTL. Here is the link to my Nub post:http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1321121&postcount=15

My main gripe with the Nub is the length of the smoke. As I said in my post, the largest Nub is supposed to last as long as a presidente sized cigar. This simply is not true. I take a puff roughly every minute. A 466 Nub will last me about 55 minutes. I can smoke a robusto in any other brand cigar and it will last 65-75 minutes.

DL

My nubs last for about an hour to an hour and ten minutes. I just smoked a cameroon, it was really good. The maduro is better, however. I had a gurkha royal brigade that was really good last night!

Wow, I don't think I've ever had a smoke last 2 hours. Even a tight rolled big-ol Churchill.

Depending on what type of mood I'm in, a tight rolled Church can last me over two hours. I've had some stretch to the three hour mark. A Nub, on the other hand, lasts me about 45 minutes.

Top Bottom