What's new

Favorite Ginger Beer?

I got some of that Reed's stuff at Trader Joes. It has pineapple flavor to it that I did not like.

Barritt's in a Dark and Stormy is my current fav.

I had one of those last night. Barritt's and Gosling's. There's also a local distiller that does an excellent spiced rum that I use as well.

Old Tyme seems to be the spiciest that I can find here in Canada - great mix with the Gosling Black Seal Rum for a "Dark and Stormy". The Pirate looks cool too no?

That Old Tyme looks great. I wonder if I can get it here in Colorado. Gosling's is my go to for Dark and Stormys lately.

did not realise we were discussing brewed and/or alcoholic ginger beverages (which would or might include Stones ginger wine). as a ginger softdrink, saxby's is expecially good. Ginger syrup from Buderim is exceptional

Are alcoholic ginger beers true ginger beers?

I tried the Hot, Hot, Hot variety of Jamaica's Finest this afternoon and was not too impressed. Like their regular variety, this is not a brewed beverage and thus is not a true Ginger Beer. Instead they add essential oils (which is definitely better than artificial flavoring).

I really did not find the Hot, Hot, Hot variety to be any spicier than the regular variety but it was less complex. This may be a great choice as a mixer for a Dark and Stormy but it is not the best choice as a stand alone drink.

Does anyone have a good recipe for a Dark and Stormy? I have several more bottles of Jamaica's Finest to consume. :tongue_sm

Receipe? Here's mine: 1 can of Gosling's Ginger Beer, however drunk I want to get amount of Gosling's Rum.

I've been enjoying Dark 'n Stormies with either Barritts or Bundaberg and either El Dorado 5Y (Guyana) or Gosling's Black Seal (Bermuda) rum.

Add about 1.5-2 oz. rum, then 4 oz. ginger beer. No lime.

I like it better with the "gentler" ginger beers. I like hot brews as well, but not so much in this.

+1

None of the liquor distributors in South Dakota carry a ginger beer so I'm brewing my own. Just waiting to get some honey and fresh ginger root!

I love Vernors. Vernors, Diet Coke and coffee was all my grandfather drank. I was so happy when I could find Vernors in some shops in SD since it was easy to find in NW Ohio but not SE Ohio...

Ginger ale, diet coke and coffee? What kind of drink is that called?

+1 on the Fentiman's. Have you had Fevertree? It is sold in small bottles (think mixers size for Moscow Mule). While not a light ginger beer, more of a ginger ale, but superb is Blenheim's. It comes in medium and hot varieties.

Disclosure - I work at a company that sells these products, that is how I have tried them all. YMMV.

Do you distribute anywhere in Colorado?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I grew up with original **** 'n Bull, and after getting some this month from BevMo (Cupertino, Sunnyvale), I don't think this is quite like the original. Jack Morgan's **** 'n Bull restaurant on Sunset, Los Angeles, closed in 1987 and I have a sneaking suspicion that the brewed drink they served and retailed went down with them. They sold the name to a proprietor in Santa Monica; they may well have licensed the drink's trademark to the company in Jefferson (?), North Carolina, that bottles it.

Actually A. J. Stephens tastes more like I remember CNB tasting, with a sharp tingle in the upper gums and a prickling feeling in the sinuses if you breathe just right while sipping. I tried Regatta and like it. Other nice brands that I'd resort to in a pinch: Bundaberg, Fentimans, Fever Tree. Barritts in a bottle (imported) doesn't taste quite like the canned stuff I bought on St. John and sipped every night after snorkeling; I suspect they add a little citrus for the foreign market. If you want citrus (and other, subtle, flavours), try Regatta instead.

I'm glad this thread popped back up. Nobody has heard of ginger beer at any of the liquor stores here, and I've been using ginger ale in Moscow Mules. I looked at Market Street grocery in the Dallas area and they had the Angry Orchard ginger apple cider...wasn't what I was looking for but they said to try Spec's liquor store for **** 'n Bull.

If A.J. Stephans is more like the original **** 'n Bull I may see if I can find both brands and try the Mule with each.

I'm glad this thread popped back up. Nobody has heard of ginger beer at any of the liquor stores here, and I've been using ginger ale in Moscow Mules. I looked at Market Street grocery in the Dallas area and they had the Angry Orchard ginger apple cider...wasn't what I was looking for but they said to try Spec's liquor store for **** 'n Bull.

If A.J. Stephans is more like the original **** 'n Bull I may see if I can find both brands and try the Mule with each.

My wife loves the Angry Orchards Apple Cider. The Ginger one tasted good as well but I wouldn't use it in a Dark and Stormy.

I am not sure how B&B feels about posting that kinda thing... we are a retailer not a distributor so giving our web info would kinda be shilling.

You can just PM me :p

Sioux City Brand Ginger Beer is a brand that I really enjoyed when I lived in Chicago. I cannot find it for the life of me in Los Angeles though.

Ironically, one of the few I can find. Last 4 pack I got was sweeter and had less bite than I remembered. I wasn't pleased.

I have to say, I miss Old Jamaica ginger beer from my UK days (the best I can find here is Bundaberg which I find rather enjoyable and refreshing and **** and Bull (not quite as good as Bundaberg). I'm not sure if the Old Jamaica is a brewed product or not (It has been a year since I was able to gulp one down).

I remember being bored enough to make my own ginger beer (I've made it a few times over the years) when I first returned home from life in the UK (ginger beer being unavailable where I was in Idaho). I was inspired by an episode of Alton Brown's where he made a simple ginger ale with a ginger syrup, some active yeast, and let it work for 48 hours. I think all I did was up the sugar (using brown sugar) and used about 8x his amount of ginger (and I used older ginger at that). Fiery and nice. This thread has made me want to brew up a batch now.

If you are looking for a SPICY ginger beer.....I recommend Goya brand ginger beer.....it can be found in most ethnic foods sections in grocery stores.......it'll damn near knock the wind out of ya! Great stuff....IMO.

Top Bottom