What's new

Favorite Ginger Beer?

May have to try the Saxby's next time.

It depends what you call a real Ginger Beer. Saxby's is not a Ginger Beer. Real Ginger Beer is brewed which Saxby's is not. Saxby's is OK for a Soft Drink (ie Carbonated Water) but it is not a real Ginger Beer.

It depends what you call a real Ginger Beer. Saxby's is not a Ginger Beer. Real Ginger Beer is brewed which Saxby's is not. Saxby's is OK for a Soft Drink (ie Carbonated Water) but it is not a real Ginger Beer.

Hmmm, thanks for that. I assumed it was brewed and thought it would be in the same league as Bundaberg Ginger beer.

I located Bundaberg, A.J Stephans and a number of other Ginger Beers at Galco's Sodapop Store in Los Angeles. I will be making the drive later this week. While I am there, are there any other worthy contenders in the store ?

A huge fan of ginger beer over here. Most brands available in Brooklyn are way too sweet. I was enjoying Regatta for a while, a Bermudan brand ($1.50 a bottle), but its become too sweet for my taste as well. We really enjoyed Barritts while we were in the Bahamas, but my dearest memories are from my youth. My mother, a girl from Queens, NY loved ginger beer. She introduced me to Schweppes which was the only one available (circ 1965). This was before Schweppes was sold to Cadbury's and it was the real stuff. Spicy, foamy, not cloyingly sweet and intense. Perfect stuff. Now where can get some of that Bundaberg in Brooklyn???

Old Tyme seems to be the spiciest that I can find here in Canada - great mix with the Gosling Black Seal Rum for a "Dark and Stormy". The Pirate looks cool too no?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I should try the Bundaberg...

Best ginger beer I had so far

proxy.php

Ginger beer by La Lièvre brewery in Quebec.

did not realise we were discussing brewed and/or alcoholic ginger beverages (which would or might include Stones ginger wine). as a ginger softdrink, saxby's is expecially good. Ginger syrup from Buderim is exceptional

I heard it goes well with some ice cream. I thought that sounded horrible, what a way to ruin a good ginger beer!

The product from Buderim?
with a variety of things. Well worth it. Much easier than juicing ginger roots. Good for all seasons, but I love it most in summer.
Very nice mixed with ice water and freshly picked mint leaves. Next to a cold beer, G&T or Mohito.....it does the trick after hot work outside.

I just got home from Galco's Sodapop Stop and I did some serious damage. I picked up several Ginger Beers including Bundaberg, A.J. Stephans, **** & Bull, Fentimans, and several varieties of Jamaica's Finest Ginger Beer (regular and Hot,Hot,Hot). I will sample them over the next week and give my impressions.

The Bundaberg is finally chilled and I am enjoying it as I type. This is definitely a world class Ginger Beer and I am quite happy with it. The Bundaberg is not too sweet and has a nice ginger spiciness. However, it is not as spicy as Sioux City Ginger Beer (my go-to) and there is no nostril burn.

I'm a big fan of the Fentimans Ginger Beer.

Your suggestion spurred me to try Fentimans Ginger Beer today. I have to say, I am a big fan now as well. The Fentimans is more spicy than the Bundaberg and gives me the nostril burn that I associate with Ginger Beer.

I highly recommend Fentimans to those who like a spicy Ginger Beer.

We are having a hot afternoon and I eagerly anticipated today's cold Ginger Beer. I decided to reach for an AJ Stephans and I am glad that I did. The AJ Stephans is more spicy than either Bundaberg or Fentimans and it is very refreshing...my new favorite.

I see on the label that they call this Jamaican Style Ginger Beer. I was a little apprehensive because the only Jamaican Ginger beer that I have had in the past was sickeningly sweet. This is definitely not the case with AJ Stephans. I might have to grab another.:wink2:

BullGoose,

Enjoying your tasting notes. Keep 'em coming....

FYI, I was able to find Barritt's at Beverage Warehouse in Marina Del Rey a while back, but last time I was there, they were out. Not sure if they're discontinuing it or not.

Top Bottom