What's new

Toothpaste

Hey guys,

I've been trying a bunch of different toothpastes lately. I'm using Marvis Strong Mint right now, but it has alluminum in it, which doesn't please me. (Rembrandt has that in it, too.) A couple I've liked so far are Tom's of Maine Fennel and Dr. Burt's Lavender-Mint. Tom's toothpastes come in several different formulations though, so you really have to sort through them all to find what you want.

Does anybody have any toothpaste recommendations?

I really like the Tom's stuff. It is a pleasant, well performing product that is affordable and pretty easy to find.

try jasons its real nice. i switched from marvis and haven't looked back

I've got a question about Marvis. I can get it at Macy's for $8-9. My question is this: Is this any better than, say Crest? I've been using Crest Cinnamon Rush for about 6 months, & I really like it, but I'm extremely curious about Marvis. Is there anything special about it to justify a price tag that's 2-3 times higher than what I'm using now?

Some people swear by Marvis and it does contain a lot of an an alluminum ingredient that is apparently a great whitener. I just don't like the idea of ingesting small amounts alluminum on a daily basis. It does foam great - you only need a little bit, and it makes your breath really minty. I wouldn't slam it, I'm just looking for a more natural product of equal effectiveness.

The thing that has been stopping me from trying the non-supermarket toothpastes is that I get just fine results with the regular stuff - haven't had a cavity in 10 plus years. Is Mavis and the others equally as effective?

Dennis

The thing that has been stopping me from trying the non-supermarket toothpastes is that I get just fine results with the regular stuff - haven't had a cavity in 10 plus years. Is Mavis and the others equally as effective?

Dennis

any toothpaste should be "effective". IMO: proper brushing and flossing is more important....and it sounds like you've got that down.

Ultrabrite. Picked up a tube for $.99 at Wallmart or Target. Can't remember. Ultrabrite was also rated at the top in Consumer Reports.

I currently use Colgate Herbal ... I like it. I wrote 'currently' as I change my toothpastes according to what mother gives me :wink2: I second Joe's post that it is brushing and flossing what's important and not the toothpaste.

Ultrabrite. Picked up a tube for $.99 at Wallmart or Target. Can't remember. Ultrabrite was also rated at the top in Consumer Reports.

I use them all but always seem to go back to UltraBrite. It performs as good or better than the more expensive ones.

I use any flouride and tartar control toothpaste. To me what really helps the mouth hygiene most is good electric toothbrush, flossing (From my experience most dentists say this is the most important thing we can do), and the Literine swish. Also, keeping a toothbrush around in the briefcase along with a bit of floss and Listerine is a great pick me up and keeps me feeling much cleaner throughout the day. Well, its not just keeping them around but using them. Also I drink lots of water throughout the day--avoid the colas and coffee after brushing in the morning--that just ruins everything.

don't leave out the flossing. there is some data out there suggesting that it lowers the risk of heart disease, in addition to helping prevent gum disease (which in adults is the big risk, as opposed to cavities in children).

the electric toothbrush also supposedly does a superior job on the gums compared to a manual brush.

as far as toothpaste and aluminum, there once was a scare about aluminum ingestion being linked to alzheimer's. i don't think it was ever substantiated, however. maybe i forgot!:biggrin:

Colgate TOTAL was until recently the only toothpaste that "prevents tooth decay, gingivitis, plaque above the gum line and bad breath". They claim 12 hours.

Recently Crest announced a new product(not yet on the shelves) that seems similar.

It took colgate years to get FDA approval to make the claim.

BTW I think Colgate owns Toms of Maine.

I use them all but always seem to go back to UltraBrite. It performs as good or better than the more expensive ones.

That is also what Consumer Reports concluded. Well, not exactly. I think they said it was both the best and the cheapest.

Tim

Top Bottom