What's new

Left or Right handed?

Left or Right?

• Left

• Right

• Ambidextrous

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi Guys,

This thought sprang forth last night, when thinking of how to shave with a straight razor as I'm a lefty, is this a problem and how many here are left handed here???

ATB,
Tom

I'm left handed and frankly left handed people are pretty ambidexterous because we live in a right handed world so its easier for us to shave using both hands than it is for a right handed person to shave with both hands. besides straights are not right or lefthanded.

Another Lefty here (check my sig there are lots of us)

Straight shaving isn't any particular difficulty, as both sides of the blade are identical.

A microtome, or Japanese straight would probably be near impossible, as they both are for strictly right handed operation.

Edit: I was doing the two hand thing for a while, but recently, I found it easier to go at it one handed. YMMV

Last edited:
Well, I voted right because I am right handed but now I am wondering if that was the question. Are we being asked if we are right or left handed (or ambidextrous) or if we shave righty, lefty, or both?

I shave righty with a DE/SE and use both with a str8.

I think the question was whether we shave with one hand or both.

I use both hands personally. I am still only a few months in and my left hand is usually dead weight, so it's always interesting when I shave the left side of my face. After a while though it got to where I could do a pretty good job of it, and I can't imagine having to reach across my face to shave now.

Cool, thanks guys, I thought I was odd changing round.... I try to use only my left, but sometimes can't quite hit the right spot... but I'm glad Straights arn't honed for certain hand use... sounds stupid, but most knives are and I end up cutting wedges of bread rather than slices...

ATB<
Tom

I write with my left hand other than that I'm ambidextrous because there are some things I just can't do left handed no matter how hard I try.

I shave with both hands, write with my right hand, shoot a bow lefty, and switch hands between everything else :biggrin:

Top Bottom