What's new

Nancy Boy Shaving Cream

Lavender rosemary mint (sorry I'm not who you asked but I have a tub). I really enjoy the smell (the mint comes off most strongly but you get a whiff of the rest). I haven't been able to get a good lather out of NB but its awesome when mixed with a slight amount of another cream. If you get the mix just right you can tone down the mint scent and bring out the others. I often mix it with a tad of my Taylor's lav. or some rose cream.

NB is not my go to cream (due to lather issues) but I use it whenever I'm doing a single pass straight shave (two or three times a week) since it lathers up enough for this and gives me a good shave that smells great (especially when finished off with NB a/s gel diluted with Lav. witch hazel).

Hope that helps,

John

Well, John kinda covered it. Sort of reminds me of a mint flavored cough drop. Minty primarily, but with a medicinal undertone, and a bit candyish.

Understand though, that in all fairness, I do not think I care for the smell of mint much, outside of certain candies.

Also, it is only fair to point out that NB was designed brushless. Some people find it lathers like nobody's business, and I did not have much trouble getting a decent lather. But it was not really designed for this, which may explain why some folk have trouble. If you are having trouble lathering, you might try using it brushless.

-Mo

I was beginning to wonder whether anybody has followed NB's instructions for brushless application. I'm thinking of trying it on Monday (sorry, John)...

I am a noob and have only a few shaves under my belt. I saw the raves about NB and gave them a shot. I think the cream is excellent. The fragrance is unique. I like it but not every day. I think Prorase is slightly slicker, and I think Body Shop Mens shaving cream is more moisturizing and slicker, but I wish it came with a fragrance. So relative to the few creams I have tried so far NB is about third, but definitely in my rotation. The soap bar they threw in on my order is already a family favorite. The Aftershave gel is very good. I also have their shave oil which is all natural. I think the oil smells great and feels great but does little to add to the slickness of the shave. ALl above just my own relatively inexperienced opinion, fwiw.

I just got my first jar of NB this past Saturday. I can say without a doubt that this is my new favorite cream. I mean, it's not even close. I love this stuff. The only cream that comes close is Taylor's Avocado which I'll keep on hand for an occasional change-up. However, NB is definitely going to be my daily "go to" cream.

I love the smell of it. I grew up using Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Soap so I love the smell and cooling feel of mint. The NB is a better and more complex scent with the addition of rosemary and lavender.

The consistency of the cream in the jar is perfect. It's a brushless cream so I was expecting it to be almost like whipped cream. It's not as thick as the 3 T's, but it looks and feels like shave cream should.

It lathers very well. I probably use more cream that I should so using what I'd consider a normal amount of NB does just fine. I only do 2 passes (N-S and S-N), but Im sure I could easily do 4 with the amount of lather I get.

The lubricity is perfect. The razor just glides across my skin. I've maybe only used a half dozen creams in the 4 months Ive been wet shaving. I would, however, be surprised to ever find any cream that lubricates better than this one. Taylor's Avocado lubricates as well, but not better.

The only downside to NB is that it's not available in stores. I joined Club Nancy Boy for the 15% discount, but I still had to pay $7 shipping. I would--and will--do it again, but I'll probably buy $50 worth of cream to get the free shipping. Like I said, NB is now my daily default cream so I am perfectly happy buying it in bulk.

They did throw in a *HUGE* bar of bath soap so at least I got a $6 freebie for my $7 shipping. I'm not joking here. Their bars of bath soap are freaking massive. Too bad my wife has already stolen the soap. She loves it. :smile:

Yeah, the soap is good-- at this point I have tried all the scents, and the NB Signature Scent in the soap is just addictive. The whole family uses it. It costs a fiver but lasts forever--- unlike a bar of dial that costs 50 cents but lasts maybe a week.

Their shipping policy to the UK is $35 for any size order, so to make it worth while you'd have to make a hugely massive order for it to be worthwhile. Might be worth ordering 20 or so tubs of cream and reselling them on ebay, there must be some other UK folks who'd buy some.

Yeah I'm in the same unfortunate situation. The stuff sounds great, but I'm in UK and there's NO way of buying it except the online store + $35 shipping to UK.

Can anyone help me out somehow? :crying:

I used the NB in combination with a puck of classicshaving soap in the superlather configuration, and it was awesome. It has been the best in the superlather tryouts of all the creams. I just had a sample size, and I guess I need to buy a full size now that I found the secret to exploding NB lather.

YMMV.

hmm, i've never had too much of a trouble getting the NB to lather, though it doesn't produce a ton of lather like some others produce, i think it's about the same as the amount i get from taylors.

Yes!! The Customer Service from their Co-Founder, Eric is REMARKABLE! I highly recommend their store!
Happy "Nancy Boy" Shaving!

I am trying so hard to love Nancy Boy....

I absolutely love the signature scent, I am not a the "cologne wearing" type of guy and the NB scent is right up my alley. I ordered a sample pack from Scotto and I have gone throught the NB waay faster than the other creams.

At the same time I have to say I dont get the greatest shaves with it. I find you need more of the cream to make a good lather and the water/cream ratio is much more difficult to nail as opposed to my other creams. The cream doesnt seem to moisturize as well as the others either...the blade doesnt glide across the skin as well.

I like the idea of a small company with a great product and great customer service. I am just about out of my sample and I think I may place an order just to keep working with it..

strange that I am so drawn to a cream that I have so much trouble with!:biggrin:

Seems the NB cream gets as much of a mixed review as any shaving product out there. I am one of those who absolutely love the stuff...the scent, the lubricity, the luxurious lather. And I never, never have trouble making a sumptuous lather with this stuff. It is one of the easiest creams to lather that I have in my rotation. As some have mentioned, this may be due to water quality varying so much around the country.

And yes, their bath bars are my favorite as well. They got me hooked by sending me one free with my first order and it completely changed the way my skin felt during and after my shower. No more dry, itchy, scaly skin. I recently ran out of NB bath bars and switched back to my old soap, Lever. Strangest thing happened in addition to the dry, itchy skin again. I began experiencing irritation in my shaves. I had experienced some irritation when I began DE shaving about fifteen months ago but it went away. Thinking back, it seems the irritation disappeared about the time I began using the NB bath bars.

I've ordered some new handmade moisturizing soaps that should arrive soon. I'll see what effect they have on the quality of my shave. I attribute the irritation to under moisturized facial skin. Just my home spun theory, FWIW.

Anyway, I'm about out of NB shave cream, so I plan on ordering more along with more bath bars. However, I'm planning on waiting until they get the packaging worked out on their new Replenishing Cucumber Scent shave cream. Right now it's only available in the travel size...not gonna' be enough for this NB lover.

Their products are a great value, especially if you are a Club Nancy Boy member and get 15% off and free shipping for orders $50 or more. And a real wetshaver never, never has a problem submitting a $50 order!

interesting...

do you have hard or soft water pd? I have very hard water.

I would consider my water to be somewhere between soft and hard, if that makes any sense. I have tried distilled water to see if it makes a difference in creating lather; it improves latherablity to a degree, but not significantly. However, another irritant we don't talk about much is chlorine in our water. Some of us who have sensitive skin are probably effected by it, at least to some degree.

I was more wondering about latherability. Despite the short amount of time wetshaving I have developed a bad case of SCAD and NB seems to be one of the more difficult creams to work up a good lather. I figured because it wasnt designed for a brush but it seems some of you guys find it very easy.

Count me in on the Nancy Boy bandwagon. I've used the shave cream, AS balm, face wash, body wash, body bar, & laundry soap. All of which I will purchase again. The only product I didn't care for was the Ultrmarine Night Cream, but I think it just wasn't appropriate for my skin type. YMMV.

Also, they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee & exemplory customer service. You really can't go wrong with NB.

Top Bottom