What's new

Mennen Skin Bracer

With all the recent discussion of AV and Brut (which I have recently acquired), I couldn't resist picking up a bottle of another classic -- original green skin bracer. And I was not disappointed. mild scent that disappears quickly but also packs a very nice icy punch . . . the menthol is powerful and lingers and lingers. Just tried it today, and it's a keeper.

they also have a cooling blue version, which I haven't seen yet.

I recently found a BUNCH of Cooling Blue for $1.99 at a local bargain store. I bought a few bottles and I love it. Not sure why the scent is so nostalgic for me, but I really like it. I'm thinking of buying a lot more of it. It's in plastic, though, and I'm not sure if it will keep well. I like it as much as I like A/V Classic Blue.

I also bought a bottle of the green SB, but I haven't tried that yet.

I thought Cooling Blue was DC-ed? For me the scent beats the green stuff hands down.
That was the very first A/S I ever used. Sadly, I chucked the partial bottle I had left about a month before finding this site.

I recently found a BUNCH of Cooling Blue for $1.99 at a local bargain store. I bought a few bottles and I love it. Not sure why the scent is so nostalgic for me, but I really like it. I'm thinking of buying a lot more of it. It's in plastic, though, and I'm not sure if it will keep well. I like it as much as I like A/V Classic Blue.

I got 2 for a buck each at a Dollar Tree in Cleveland.

With all the other aftershaves I have, I figured a few bottles should last me a few years at least.

And I agree, the scent is strangely nostalgic, I can't put my finger on it though. Makes me think of sniffing the colognes in the drug store when I was a kid..

I used skin bracer green almost exclusively for 30 years, a couple years ago they changed from glass to plasic bottles and while the scent seems the same the initial burn is no where near the same. I still use it occasionally but it has been replaced by the most part by AV blue in glass bottles.

Another you might want to try is Barbasol Brisk. It has a pleasant light scent and a nice menthol bite that is nice. Both the scent and menthol linger on me for about 2 hours which is nice. It also gets the wifes sniff of approval which is a very good thing.

BTW, got mine at the local Dollar General store for $1.75

Another you might want to try is Barbasol Brisk. It has a pleasant light scent and a nice menthol bite that is nice. Both the scent and menthol linger on me for about 2 hours which is nice. It also gets the wifes sniff of approval which is a very good thing.

BTW, got mine at the local Dollar General store for $1.75

Never seen BB. I'll keep an eye out. I'm always down for trying new, cheap stuff!

Pretty much any generic aftershave that is green and labled "brisk" is going to be a Skin Bracer knock off. The one I have by Vi-jon ("Flag & Sail Brisk") that is very good.. they also make a "Spice" (like Old Spice) but I can't have that in the house.. :frown:

I bought and tried the classic green Skin Bracer for the first time yesterday. Looking at the ingredients it appears to be the exact same thing as AV Ice Blue with less alcohol and a different scent.

The scent seems a bit medicinal at first, then is pleasant enough and seems to disappear pretty quickly on me. Not really sure how to describe the scent. Nice menthol coolness.

I can't say I love the scent at the moment. It took a few uses for AV to grow on me, so I could come around more to it... I don't dislike it though. It's pleasant enough after it dries and the medicine scent goes away.

I used skin bracer green almost exclusively for 30 years, a couple years ago they changed from glass to plasic bottles and while the scent seems the same the initial burn is no where near the same. I still use it occasionally but it has been replaced by the most part by AV blue in glass bottles.

+1. My experience exactly. My grandfather used Skin Bracer, and so do I. But, while I still prefer the Skin Bracer scent to the AV, the plastic bottle version of Skin Bracer no longer delivers the icy punch for which it was originally named.

Ive just got some of this from the States and i love it. Smells like a cross between menthol and talcum powder. Only trouble is the smell is quite fleeting and disapears quickly.

Green Skin Bracer was my Dad's standby for years. I used it for a while as well, and still like it, but miss the cool dimpled glass bottles. I much prefer it over Aqua Velva.

I was grocery shopping this evening and Food Lion is blowing out Skin Bracer for $1.80 a bottle. At that price I had to grab one. That's one product I can't recall ever using. It smells great. Looking forward to giving it a go!

Marty E.

I was grocery shopping this evening and Food Lion is blowing out Skin Bracer for $1.80 a bottle. At that price I had to grab one. That's one product I can't recall ever using. It smells great. Looking forward to giving it a go!

Marty E.

Sale at Food Dog? I'll have to grab a couple.

H

Hanzo

One way to defeat plastic bottles is with old fashioned barber bottles. You can still find them on ebay very inexpensively from between $5 and $20 if you look hard enough. Old Proprietary barber bottles , stand bottles,colored bottles with porcelain , plastic and metal shaker tops are abundant . My Bracer is in a clear glass barber bottle with a porcelain shaker top . Looks great, with the deep green of the SB eye catching. I have five of these old fashioned barber stand bottles and they contain my Dickinsons , Pinaud Bay Rum and Lustray . These bottles dress up the after shave and my shave den.

Much complaining on the board about the lack of glass bottles but Barber Botttles remain little noticed by us , though bottle collectors are the guilty parties pushing pricing sky high. Look through old barber supply catalogs and see pics of many of the old cheap barber bottles you can find on ebay usually in singly or in groups. Bill Ellis even has a great tutorial on ebay about how to clean perfume bottles thats applicable to shining up old bottles.

Lets all get some barber bottles!

I have the green Skin Bracer found in most stores. I also have the Cooling blue and Cool Spice versions. I prefer the Cool Spice. It is a metholated Old Spice type of scent. I prefer the glass bottle versions of the latter and found them on ebay.

One way to defeat plastic bottles is with old fashioned barber bottles. You can still find them on ebay very inexpensively from between $5 and $20 if you look hard enough. Old Proprietary barber bottles , stand bottles,colored bottles with porcelain , plastic and metal shaker tops are abundant . My Bracer is in a clear glass barber bottle with a porcelain shaker top . Looks great, with the deep green of the SB eye catching. I have five of these old fashioned barber stand bottles and they contain my Dickinsons , Pinaud Bay Rum and Lustray . These bottles dress up the after shave and my shave den.

Much complaining on the board about the lack of glass bottles but Barber Botttles remain little noticed by us , though bottle collectors are the guilty parties pushing pricing sky high. Look through old barber supply catalogs and see pics of many of the old cheap barber bottles you can find on ebay usually in singly or in groups. Bill Ellis even has a great tutorial on ebay about how to clean perfume bottles thats applicable to shining up old bottles.

Lets all get some barber bottles!

I don't think the complaining here is so much directed at what the product is stored in but as a result of Mennen switching and a few other manufacturers switching over to plastic the product was and had to be reformulated, as typically the older ingredient that gave many of these after shaves there classic sting or feel would if produced and was long term stored in plastic bottles begin dissolving or having a chemical reaction with the plastic. That's why there was so much outcry when AV was rumored to be going to plastic but thankfully hasn't and still has the classic sting/feel to it when applying it

Top Bottom