What's new

Anyone Own a Tilley Hat?

I'm looking for input on a Tilley hat. I'm looking at the one that REI carries which I beleive in the LT6 airflow.

Are they worth the $$?

Did you use the two-finger method for fitting like they recommend? Or did you get one that was more of a true fit?

Tilley TH5 hemp hat here (sorry for the alliteration)

Great all purpose hat but there is a little backbrain "dork" vibe when I wear it. I can usually ignore it. :biggrin:

- John

I have an LTM8 and I love it.

The description says the sides on the crown are mesh, but it's not like a mesh ball cap. Its like a 3-D woven mesh, almost solid. When the breeze blows I can feel it, but it still looks like a solid hat, and light rain doesn't get in. I'm sure a wind-driven, heavy rain would get in there, but that's why OR makes Seattle Sombreros, which are also awesome, but in a different way than a Tilley.

I bought mine on Ebay from Worldsbesthats. Beth was VERY helpful and shipping was very fast. They had a cheaper price by far than anyone else.

Tilley TH5 hemp hat here (sorry for the alliteration)

Great all purpose hat but there is a little backbrain "dork" vibe when I wear it. I can usually ignore it. :biggrin:

- John

Yes, I too feel like a dork who's trying to look Indiana Jonesy when I wear it. But it's all about protection from the sun for me. Trying to avoid cancer takes precedent. I'm always sticking big hats on my kids to help protect them, so I want to set the example.

I own a Tilly LT6 and use to own a Seattle Sombrero. I much prefer the Tilly. I bought it true to size and it still fits fine, even after many trips through the washer.

I have their "Country Cap" which is wool and nylon with ear muffs that pull down. Excellent quality - it has lasted 3 or 4 winters with no signs of wear yet. I haven't tried their summer hats at all.

Yes, I too feel like a dork who's trying to look Indiana Jonesy when I wear it. But it's all about protection from the sun for me. Trying to avoid cancer takes precedent. I'm always sticking big hats on my kids to help protect them, so I want to set the example.

Oh, I have no illusions about how silly I look. :redface: As you said, protection trumps aesthetics.

I'm looking for input on a Tilley hat. I'm looking at the one that REI carries which I beleive in the LT6 airflow.

Are they worth the $$?

Did you use the two-finger method for fitting like they recommend? Or did you get one that was more of a true fit?

I used true fit. Yes I have one and lost it in a lake when the wind blew it off my head while fishing. I filed a claim and got a new hat.

I used the fingers thing and it seems to work well enough. The hat is a little loose, but very comfortable and only is in danger of blowing off in very heavy winds, and the hat has neck/back of the head cords to keep it on in that situation. I was very daunted about the cost as well. I went in the store wanting to spend about $25 and ended up spending $75. However, I've been extremely pleased with the hat and don't regret the cost. I have the T4IS, and it's great for the sun and rain. Probably my favorite part about the hat is its durability. I've mercilessly shoved it into my backpack many times, and it just pops right back into shape when I pull it out and put it on. The one and only downside to the hat is, as others have mentioned, somewhat feeling like a dork wearing it, but that's not enough to pass up a good hat.

The size thing really bothers me for some reason.

I was trying them on on Sunday and the 7 3/8 provided a nice fit. But their literature says you should be able to comfortably turn the hat on your head. That required a larger size which felt kinda funny just sitting on my head.

So I'm torn: get the true fit OR just trust that Tilley knows what they're talking about (I'm sure they do).

The size thing really bothers me for some reason.

I was trying them on on Sunday and the 7 3/8 provided a nice fit. But their literature says you should be able to comfortably turn the hat on your head. That required a larger size which felt kinda funny just sitting on my head.

So I'm torn: get the true fit OR just trust that Tilley knows what they're talking about (I'm sure they do).

It definitely feels different than a baseball cap. It's a little weird in the wind since you keep thinking it'll blow away with that big brim, but it's not bad. I'd say go for the larger size because of this from the owner's manual:

Is it a shade too large or too small?

If the hat is too small, it is nearly incapable of being stretched to a larger size. If you choose not to return it, consider selling it to a deserving friend. If the cotton hat is a shade too large, and you don't care to return it, try the following:
Soak the crown and the anti-sweat band in hot tap water for about 3 minutes. Remove the hat and let it thoroughly air dry without re-stretching it. It may contract about one size. You might also consider sewing a layer of terry-cloth or such onto the anti-sweat band.

So you can shrink the hat if it's too big, but you can't stretch it if it's too small.

By the way, on the subject of Tilley hats, has anyone here ever used the two year warranty to get a half-priced hat? You don't need any proof of losing your hat in order to do it, so it seems like a good idea if you want a spare.

Just to add to the confusion, I used the sizing guide on the Tilley website and it says I should order a 7 3/8.

And I guess since that's the size I thought fit the best when I tried then on, that's the size I would go with... but it certainly isn't as large as their other literature suggests it should be.

I have one , it was my fathers, i find for him it was too big and always flew off his head into the lake, good thing theres that floating disk huh :)

his fits me great, nice and tight, get it so it fits comfy, if you dont want it loose dont get it loose,

i wish i had the one that was eaten by an elephant and survived though :001_tongu

has anyone else seen the picture of the elephant trainer and his elephant lol

I have one, use it in the summer when camping and hiking and it is woth every penny. My scalp is exposed due to head shaving. The Tilley protect it from the sun & rain

I have a couple (T3 and LTM3) of Tilley hats. One stays in my car and the other in my wife's car. I'm planning to buy another one, but just can't decide which one. If I was buying today it would be the LTM6.
Both of mine were ordered a little tighter than Tilley recommended, but they fit great and are not too tight. Ordering per Tilley's specs, the hat just felt too loose. Guess I'm too used to wearing ball caps :001_tongu

Yes, they are expensive. However, as I've found to be the case with other costly items (Watches, Guns, and Knives) they are Worth Every Penny :cool:

I've tried one on more times than I can count at various retail outlets. Just never walked one to the cash register. I have a couple of "boonie" hats, plus various straws, beaver, wool, and ball caps.

Top Bottom