What's new

Bay Rum - an acquired taste?

Hi Guys,

I recently got some Bay Rum hair tonic and after shave through as samples from my shaving products supplier and decided to give it a try. First impressions - Awful, it reminds me of the smell in a dentists surgery! Not really a nice fragrance but more of a clinical smell.

I'm wondering if enjoying the aroma is an acquired taste and maybe I should give it a bit more time, or whether it's just not for me.

Anyone like/loath Bay Rum - I know it's a really traditional shaving product and I wish I liked it.

I love Bay Rum. I rotate Masters Bay Rum, Pinaud Bay Rum, and C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum balm. You might try a different brand as they don't all smell the same.

I love Bay Rum. I usually go with a BR and limes, though.

What brand was the sample? I use Ogallala and the Limes and Peppercorns is NICE.:cool:

The bay rum stars ok on me then gets better as I work, for some reason it works with my body chemistry, like all aftershaves/scents.... try a different brand, and the normal smell and bodily smell will differ :)

Tom

The samples were:

Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) Bay Rum
Pashana American Bay Rum Hair and Scalp Tonic

I must admit that I just smelled straight from the bottle - maybe I should use some. Is it better as a hair tonic, after shave or both?

I love Bay Rum. I usually go with a BR and limes, though.

What brand was the sample? I use Ogallala and the Limes and Peppercorns is NICE.:cool:

I love the Pinaud and Ogallala Bay Rum products. Maybe try bay rum out in the winter since it's a pretty heavy scent, just to see if that makes any difference. If that doesn't work, it just might be too sweet for you.

Thanks for the advice Anthony, I'll probably give the TOBS one a try first as it seems a bit lighter. As mentioned smelling straight from the bottles may not be giving me a good idea of the fragrance when worn, so I guess I'll just have to go for it.

I love the Pinaud and Ogallala Bay Rum products. Maybe try bay rum out in the winter since it's a pretty heavy scent, just to see if that makes any difference. If that doesn't work, it just might be too sweet for you.

TOBS was my first bay rum, onotoman. I can see where you'd get the impression of a dentist's office.

As others have said, there are many different brands out there. In my opinion, you haven't tried a good bay rum until you've tried St. John's. If you place an order with them, get the balm.

www.stjohnsbayrum.com

Don

Last edited:
I like Bay Rum. I have the Dominica in both regular and lime, and I also have the Royall Bay Rhum, which is what I am wearing today. They all differ slightly from one another, but they are all wonderful.

I love the smell of bay rum. It reminds me of my dad. He wore it when I was a kid. Unfortunately, the scent does not wear well on my skin.

The samples were:

Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) Bay Rum
Pashana American Bay Rum Hair and Scalp Tonic

I must admit that I just smelled straight from the bottle - maybe I should use some. Is it better as a hair tonic, after shave or both?

Pashana was my 1st bay rum, and it put me off the stuff for years untill i got some masters and pinaud. Pashana is some god awful crap.

I've only smelt Superior 71 Bay Rum. I absolutely love it! It has a real spicy smell that reminds me of Fall. My mother use to pull out all sorts of candles and potpourri... or who knows what else. And tthere was a mixture of Pumpkin spice and cinnamon... Just add a splash of Captain Morgans Spiced Rum and you got what it smells like down pretty well! :biggrin:

I rarely wear it out in public... I think its still suited for someone older than me. Ah well, at home I love it.

Superior is basically just Bay Palm Oil, and Rum as its ingredients.

I LOVE Bay Rum, I just wish it could last longer without being over the top in cloying nature and "other things not bay rum" scented, like clove, cinnamon, etc (lookin' at YOU, Pinaud...). I have both Dominicas (regular and lime), Royall (OMG this stuff is divine), Pinaud, and Black Magic (it SAYS it's bay rum, but smells more like...I don't know...African American Barber Shop...not bad, just NOT bay rum...). The Royall and both Doms are fantastic...very pure bay essence and not dominated by other additives. The only issue with them is staying power, which is so fleeting you can add an EDT or something over it ten minutes later and you'd never know (although the Royall is much better in this regard, and seems to hang around for a few hours...). The Pinaud smells good and is cheap, but is one of the more spicy/peppery/clovey/cinnamony/etc bay rums I've tried. The bay is not hidden, it's just down in the mix a bit more. It also doesn't have the purity and authentic nature of the Royall and Dominicas...more of a "this is our take on a bay rum scent" smell. It lasts a long time though, and a little goes a long way, like all things Pinaud. The Black Magic was the cheapest (like $5.99 for a 14 oz bottle or something), smells the least like bay rum, and is not a fave, although it's very effective as an aftershave at cooling and soothing. I think it's geared more towards those prone to bumps too as it has boric acid, but it works well overall...jsut not that bay rummish...

Bay Rum is a wonderful year round scent. In the winter it is warm and refreshing and in the summer it is tropical and invigorating. Bay rums don't all smell the same though. Pinaud's is very sharp and spicy while my Burt's Bees is softer and more woody.

Last edited:
I am also not a huge fan of bay rum, but not because of the scent. I like it very much, but I don't like the burn of when applied to the skin. Maybe I should give it another try, though.

Bay Rum Bum in training here.

Pinaud...nice but fleeting. Love that burn! :bayrum2: :001_tt1:

Bigelow...stays with me longer, and has a warm, comfort scent.

Ogallala...great scent, but doesn't linger. I'll have to try the double strength.

Burt's Bees...a little piney, but nice. I've only tried the balm, not the cologne. The shaving soap is garbage.

I've got to try some of the others.:w00t:

Top Bottom