What's new

Question about EJ razors...

Can you fit a slant-bar's head onto an EJ?

I understand they use Merkur heads, but am unsure since I don't own an EJ or a slant-bar....however as I am intending to buy the B&B EJ razor, I'd like to know if I could do this if the urge arises.

No you cant fix a slant to a EJ razor since the lower part of the slants head is attatched to the handle.. Like the HD.. But I think you should get a EJ razor anyway - they are very nice shavers.. Superiorly balanced - handles like a dream..

I love my EJ razor. When used right, I find that I can get as close of a shave with it as opposed to my Merkur Slantbar.

I have been wishing/hoping for this exact same thing!

I think it would be possible for someone with a good machine shop to craft a handle and modify a slant for it. It woudl never again go back on it's old handle, though. The handle would be easy enough. Just like any other three piece custom handle. Only difference is that the hole would have to be drilled and tapped much deeper, to accomodate the long stem on the head. Then old handle would have to be cut off of the bottom part of the head. Very carefully, to get a perfectly aligned surface to mate with the new handle.

Basically, it would be a matter of converted the razor from a two piece to a three piece.

I actually think there is one member here who could do it. Obviously, it would be with one of his own handles, which seem more inclined to heavy duty knurled metal, rather than curvy plastic.

-Mo

I'm still getting the razor either way, I already came up with a way to get an anguler cut with just a classic although it's not as consistent as a true slant-bar would be...it's my trouble spot technique.

Thanks folks!

Anyways, how does this two piece merkur work anyways? any pics of one dissassembled?

I think it would be possible for someone with a good machine shop to craft a handle and modify a slant for it. It woudl never again go back on it's old handle, though. The handle would be easy enough. Just like any other three piece custom handle. Only difference is that the hole would have to be drilled and tapped much deeper, to accomodate the long stem on the head. Then old handle would have to be cut off of the bottom part of the head. Very carefully, to get a perfectly aligned surface to mate with the new handle.

Basically, it would be a matter of converted the razor from a two piece to a three piece.

I actually think there is one member here who could do it. Obviously, it would be with one of his own handles, which seem more inclined to heavy duty knurled metal, rather than curvy plastic.

-Mo
I've been interested in making a razor along the Jagger lines but have been unable to find a source for razor heads. Merkur won't sell me just the heads, Classics are about $25 each. Before I got my metal lathe I epoxied a handle from a Travel Tech into a piece of Rosewood and turned it down. I use it with the head from my Stahly Live Blade razor and it shaves very nice with a Feather in it. I got a junker Progress off e-bay that I want to try turning into a 3 piece, the way to go would be to take a dye and thread the stem as far up as possible the cut it shorter.

OK, now I understand how this thing assembles....I found a pic of a similar slant-bar on ebay.

proxy.php

A handle swap could be done, but if tould involve a good amount of work...namely machining off the handle (leaving the flare intact) and making sure the head's bolt is the right length. Possible re-threading involved.....IMO a bit too much work. Oh well, I'll still get the EJ, but might grab a slant to try out as well :smile1:

Top Bottom