What's new

Got me Bull Mastiff XL today!

Boy, talk about heft! It's a workout device, a knuckle duster, a WMD, AND it's one fine looking and feeling razor. With my Merkur head it looks just like Bob's photo so no reason to do a piccie here.

We'll be breaking 'er in tomorrow and can't wait for the new experience. This thing just smacks quality with the extra heft.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's a great razor to work with IMO! Which Merkur head do you have?

I'm not really sure about the Merkur model but it was a long, thin handle. The finish on this Merkur head looks to be chrome.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Neil said it... Pictures or it never happened :biggrin:

Here's a pic with a NEW head.
proxy.php

OK, how does the XL's "heft" work? Let me count the ways:

1) A mass to be reckoned with! When you pick it up you know you have picked up something. It feels like a tool. That's what a razor is.

2) It makes you pay attention. For me that is good as I am an early morning mangler. (Keep two pints of Type O in the fridge.)

3) The handle has a noticeably deeper "grip" pattern. There's plenty for those fingertips to sink into.

4) Control! If you are a party animal or have Parkinson's this thing will steady you up. You have something substantial in your hand.

5) Helps glide through those whiskies with a smooth sense of purpose. Makes it easier to accomplish.

6) Heirloom quality. Mine, with the fluted knob, will outlast three generations. It's attractive and the heft "means business". (Don't think of my use of heft means this is really a workout device--it's not--think of it as a quality tool that will last a lifetime.)

wwoof,

from your shave experience today, can you extrapolate whether you like the XL long handle better than the regular length Bull Mastiff?

That's entirely up to you and a question for the artisan. He can tell you the weight difference. I have always felt more comfortable using a long handle.

Based on Slagle's vociferous support of the NEW in general and the Bull Mastiff in particular, I ordered and recieved mine (non-XL) about a month ago, and have shaved with nothing else since. Really is an awesome tool, that's for sure. I think the regular short handle version has perfect control and balance, and fits perfectly in the hand. Of course, I have slim, delicate hands, to go with my model-like good looks, but if you have big hairy brutish mangled man-hands, perhaps the XL is a better choice (I kid...I have normal hands in normal hand size, but if you have big hands of whatever persuasion and condition, I'm sure a larger, longer handled razor would fit the bill). Love Bob's work, and will definitely purchase from him again...not that I NEED to any longer, but...why not?...stoopid ADs!

Based on Slagle's vociferous support of the NEW in general and the Bull Mastiff in particular, I ordered and recieved mine (non-XL) about a month ago, and have shaved with nothing else since. Really is an awesome tool, that's for sure. I think the regular short handle version has perfect control and balance, and fits perfectly in the hand. Of course, I have slim, delicate hands, to go with my model-like good looks, but if you have big hairy brutish mangled man-hands, perhaps the XL is a better choice (I kid...I have normal hands in normal hand size, but if you have big hands of whatever persuasion and condition, I'm sure a larger, longer handled razor would fit the bill). Love Bob's work, and will definitely purchase from him again...not that I NEED to any longer, but...why not?...stoopid ADs!

Nice score. I am a NEW fan through and through. Both Customs I've ordered from Bob have been topped with a shiny re-plated NEW head. I have normal hands and don't have any need for the longer length, but the added weight just makes the NEW that much nicer.

Top Bottom