What's new

Rake Edge vs Slant -- Which has the 'edge' (pun intended) over pure aggressiveness?

I want to start a new debate here. I've read that the Slant Bar razor is one of the more aggressive versions, but I am willing to say that the Rake Edge razor beats the Slant in terms of aggressiveness. Im saying this because after comparing a Slant and a Rake Edge side-by-side. I have noticed that the blade on the Rake Edge is a LOT more exposed than the Slant.

They had the Merkur Rake Edge and the Slant on special offer at my shaving shop. In the end I went for the Rake Edge just to try it.

My Futur is my regular workhorse, but I prefer to use the Rake Edge when my beard gets really thick if I don't shave for a few days.

The Rake Edge, although it shaves uber-close, its much too aggressive to be used daily, though I use it sometimes as mentioned above. I'd welcome anyone who has tried both a Rake Edge and a Slant. Please comment if you have.

(NOTE - the term 'Rake Edge' is the same as 'Open Comb' but I prefer to use the former term)

Last edited:
I found the only "Rake Edge" Merkur that I used (an 11c, or open comb HD) to be a mild and gentle shaver, noticeably less aggressive than its safety bar cousin, the Merkur 34c. On the other hand, I couldn't get used to the Futur, I found it much too aggressive, even at setting #1. To each his own I guess.

is the futur more aggressive than both?

Not exactly sure which two razors you mean by "both". I never used a slant so I can't say anything about its aggressiveness, but I found the Futur more aggressive than both the 11c and the 34c. Others' opinions vary, though...

I use a slant and a Futur as my main rotation now. It seems that the slant is more aggressive than any open combed DE I've used to date. The Futur seems to be more aggressive, just because the blade gap can become quite considerable.

I don't think you can lump all open comb razors into the same aggressiveness category. Having said that, the old style Mühle-Pinsel R89 was usually billed as extra aggressive. As with all things subject to individual opinion, your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom