What's new

What Makes A Brush Bloom?

What makes a brush bloom?

Is there any special technique I have to follow, to insure the brush reaches the full bloom stage? How long will it take, before a brush reaches the full bloom stage?

Do boar brushes reach full bloom as well? I have been breaking in a new Vulfix VS/5 boar, and after 10 uses, it doesn't appear to be blooming yet.

Finally, in terms of the brush blooming, does it make any difference if it is left to dry hairs up, or hairs down?

Thanks!!

Just use the brush, it's not rocket science. Drying it heads up or heads down doesn't matter to blooming.

Depending the time, well it depends on the brush but most brushes bloom within a month of use in general.

What makes a brush bloom?

Is there any special technique I have to follow, to insure the brush reaches the full bloom stage? How long will it take, before a brush reaches the full bloom stage?

Do boar brushes reach full bloom as well? I have been breaking in a new Vulfix VS/5 boar, and after 10 uses, it doesn't appear to be blooming yet.

Finally, in terms of the brush blooming, does it make any difference if it is left to dry hairs up, or hairs down?

Thanks!!

I could be way wrong but I do not believe a boar brush is going to bloom.
The Silvertip Badger brushes I have and use bloomed immeadiately. Not sure what makes them bloom. The 1 best Badger I have has never produced a a noticable bloom. GOOD question, never really thought much about it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If a badger brush is going to "bloom" it will on its own, over time. Really has no effect on shaving, as when it's wet, it's not bloomed anyway.

Boar brushes don't really bloom. I have some 30 year old vintage boar brushes that look as tight as a brand new one.

JMO

Last edited:
Blooming is the natural shape of the brush ... when packaged at the factory, they are flattened out to a somewhat cylindrical shape to fit into the box.

As someone else noted, just use the brush normally, and it will bloom out quite nicely. You don't need to use any special techniques, and drying it handle up or handle down won't matter.

if a badger blush is going to "bloom" it will on its own, over time. Really has no effect on shaving, as when it's wet, it's not bloomed anyway.

boar brushes don't really bloom. I have some 30 year old vintage boar brushes that look as tight as a brand new one.

Jmo

+1

From what I understand, hanging a brush up or down makes no difference to anything. Boar brushes will not bloom at all in my experience and a badger brush will do its bloom thing over time and in its own way with use.

From what I understand, hanging a brush up or down makes no difference to anything. Boar brushes will not bloom at all in my experience and a badger brush will do its bloom thing over time and in its own way with use.

Alright then, I guess my Vulfix Boar just has too small of a knot for my liking. I was hoping over time, it would poof out like my badger does. It stands 110 mm tall, has a 55mm loft, and a 21mm knot.

I probably should have gotten the 27mm, or 28 mm Omega 49/48 brush instead.

My badger brush has bloomed nicely, however my EJ boar brush has not, and as a clipped boar the ends have not split either. The exception is my SOC
New
$SOC.jpg
A month of use
$DSCF6771.jpg

Top Bottom