What's new

Eye creams and gels....

I recently saw/read/heard somewhere that Garnier Frutice (sp) eye cream did well as compared to big brands and at a reasonable price.

I (just today) started on Kiehl's "Eye Alert" and have seen noticeable results with wrinkles and puffy bags.

I've not used these products, but I am trying to remember to make eye hygiene part of my routine. My eye doc (who I went to 40+ years) always urged his patients to wash their lids daily with a drop of baby shampoo, advice I pretty much ignored. After the doc retired recently, I switched to his partner who mentioned "blepheritis" I probably misspelled it, but it means accumulated dead cells and other gunk along the lid margins. Now, I'm trying to do better.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've not used these products, but I am trying to remember to make eye hygiene part of my routine. My eye doc (who I went to 40+ years) always urged his patients to wash their lids daily with a drop of baby shampoo, advice I pretty much ignored. After the doc retired recently, I switched to his partner who mentioned "blepheritis" I probably misspelled it, but it means accumulated dead cells and other gunk along the lid margins. Now, I'm trying to do better.

Memo to doctors: use a fancy medical term, preferably latin, or your patients will ignore you. :rolleyes:

Am using the Body Shop Maca root stuff. Hasn't taken 10 years off me, but I am at that age when people start to worry about these things.

I favour Nivea's Q10 stuff but when it comes to eye creams and gels are just to enrich the skin in vitamins but the dark circles stay.

Best bet is to get some form of make-up (menaji) to cover it up. That's if it is such a problem for you.

I am curious about garnier's caffeine roll-on. I have heard good things about it.

The irreverent iconoclasts over at Nancy Boy have an eyeful to say about eye creams, and what they say makes a lot of sense. Hopefully they won't mind me cribbing their copy, since they seem to be all for spreading the word debunking corporate mythology. Read at your own leisure.

Eye creams, serums, gels, etc. are the most profitable products in any skincare line. That’s because each manufacturer simply takes its moisturizers, puts them in very, very small packages and charges very, very high prices for them. To throw you off, they add inactive substances to the ingredients list that don’t do anything. Even the New York Times, no stranger to promoting all manner of cosmetics because the paper derives so much advertising income from them, cast a jaundiced eye at the claims made by top brands. For the story, click here.

Brands get away with it because the eye area presents three key problems that make us look older than we’d like: dark circles, puffiness and fine lines and wrinkles. People willl pay almost anything ($200 an ounce!) to get rid of them. But dark circles and puffiness cannot be addressed with cosmetic (or “cosmeceutical”) products. (“Cosmeceutical” products are just cosmetics that come from a dermatologist like Dr. Perricone or Dr. Hauschka. If they were really pharmaceuticals, and were thus different in any way from cosmetics, then you would need a prescription.)

Dark circles can be genetic but for most of us are a function of aging: the fatty deposits under our eyes thin, forming hollows. Light is absorbed by these hollows, creating the appearance of darkness. Obviously, no cosmetic or “cosmeceutical” product is going to do anything about this physiological change. There are bleaching products available but they are dangerous and toxic. The appearance of dark circles can be exacerbated by lack of sleep, improper diet, not ingesting enough water, over-partying, etc. The best remedy for this problem is a good concealer that matches your skin tone. Men shouldn’t be afraid of using one if the circles really bug you.

Puffiness (or bags) can be caused by a range of things including allergies, capillary damage and inflammation but it all results in the pooling of excess fluids under the skin. Cosmetics and “cosmeceuticals” will not help drain excess fluids from your tissues; that’s impossible. Because this pooling or bagginess or puffiness is especially exacerbated by lack of sleep and over-indulgence, taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do for them. Natural old-school remedies like tea bags or cucumbers have been known to work too but probably the time spent lying down is just as important as what you’ve placed on your eyes.

The only under-eye problem that can be addressed with a product is fine lines and wrinkles. And the only thing you can do to those (outside of botox or surgery) is to plump them so that light isn’t attracted to the crevasse (the wrinkle) but instead bounces off the plumped up skin.

[I omitted the rest, since it promotes their own nighttime moisturizer as an effective eye treatment, and I didn't post this to be a shill for NB products - as good as they are. Basically, what they're saying is that to treat fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes, a good moisturizer will work every bit as well as a dedicated eye cream, for a fraction of the price.]

Top Bottom