What's new

Are these online offerings any good for a newbie?

Are these razors likely to be any good, I've heard of Sanguine but only in Shavettes...... yes gasp at my lack of straight knowledge....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-STR...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1683|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASSIC-SHAVI...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1683|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-Cut-Throat-...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1683|293:1|294:50

I'm planning to give it a try, but don't want to have to hone etc. myself to get it sharp for my first shave..... I hone my own knives etc. so it should be ok :D (fingers crossed.....), but I have fancied for a while now giving a straight a go, not all the time mainly special occasions etc... Also my GF has been asking about a present for my b-day.... :D

Sorry if this is an obvious thing, but..... you guys are the masters of blade wielding.... :biggrin:

ATB,
Tom

If you don't want to hone it yourself before your first shave, these aren't for you :tongue:.

I haven't heard of the others, but I think I heard someone say they got a Sanguine to hold an edge. How long that edge lasted and how sharp it was I don't know. Even if it did take an edge though I wouldn't imagine it would be very good or more people would be buying them.

I recommend you look on the bst to get something shave ready.

Don't buy these. The Sanguine is very mediocre, been reviewed once by Bill Ellis. Somo is a totally unknown brand, the 7 day set looks similar to the 7 day sets Zeepk advertise. Zeepk is known as one of the brands to avoid.

If you need a letter opener or butter knife: buy them, if you want it to shave look elsewhere.

Thanks guys, I don't want to plunge headlong in, and spend a load only to find they're not for me if you get my drift, I don't mind honing and stropping, but I want one shave ready as opposed to needs work... :D

I'll keep my eye out on BST then, thanks guys :)

ATB,
Tom

Most times you can re-list your straight on the BST and get all of your money back. :wink:

So true. :p

But uh...step into the dark portal that is the BST and I think you lose more money than you planned to spend. :wink:

Of course, you get a whole lot of razors in return....

Pm neil miller he is an essex man and only in westcilffe
Pm ambrose american man, has some cool razors
Pm leighton american again but has some cool razors
All above will come very recomended, don't waste ya money on rubbish,as you will quickly learn to hate a straight shave
But if do it right you will love every second of the experiance

Last edited:
Don't buy these. The Sanguine is very mediocre, been reviewed once by Bill Ellis. Somo is a totally unknown brand, the 7 day set looks similar to the 7 day sets Zeepk advertise. Zeepk is known as one of the brands to avoid.

If you need a letter opener or butter knife: buy them, if you want it to shave look elsewhere.

I'm only going to speak about the Sanguine as I have one.

I might have got lucky but it is by no means mediocre.

I'll give a quick review of my Sanguine.

Cons: The scales are a bit flimsy making the razor balance more toward the blade. Also, there is a lot of play in the pivot. Nothing I can't handle but it does make stropping a bit slow. That could be a pro, I'm not sure. It does seem to require more frequent honing. How much more? Hard to say. I currently have enough razors in rotation that I really only need to hone about once a year. Even at that it is more of a touch up. In this sense the Sanguine sees the hone as often as my other razors. If it were a daily shaver, I would guess it might need honed once every 1 - 2 months.

Pros: This sucker took an edge in no time. It's been a while since I did the initial honing, but if memory serves me it took one pyramid of a straight "I" pattern on the Norton 4/8 K and that was it, I had hairs snapping all over the place. I'll go out on a limb by saying that the quality of my shave is as good as what my Gencos and Dubl Duck can offer. Of course, YMMV. I got the one with the blue tiger stripey scales and I really think they look cool.

Over all I like my Sanguine very much. For what I paid I think it is a good value, I've certainly shelled out much more for a dud razor that won't take an edge. I haven't personally heard of anyone having a bad experience with one of these. I've even thought about ordering another. The "word" is that these are rebranded Double Arrows. If that's true then it explains why some folks really like those cheap little gems. That being said I wouldn't recommend one for a beginner, especially if they don't want to or can't hone.

If there is anyone out there that has one they don't like, you can send it to me.

Pros

Glad yours is good, Bill Ellis was not very enthusiastic about them 1-2 years ago, but his standards are very high of course.:smile: An batches do vary, possibly Sanguine improved their razors after his review on SRP. I have tried to find it but couldn't.

Hate to rag on them, but after inspecting the razor, I must affirm my original opinion of them.

They are a $10 razor. Thats it. They have tons of problems, but they take an edge. Worth $10, no more.

Hate to rag on them, but after inspecting the razor, I must affirm my original opinion of them.

They are a $10 razor. Thats it. They have tons of problems, but they take an edge. Worth $10, no more.

Does that mean you have one you dont' want? I can PM you my address. :biggrin:

Top Bottom