What's new

Hi from London

Hi All, I've just joined as I'm on the quest for the ultimate shave.

I started to shave with an electric, only dabbling in wet shaving occasionally without much success. I was forced to wet shave when I left my electric shaver where I'd been working with a band I'm in and miles away.

I was using the usual foam then gel in a can, but I could only get a good shave against the grain and couldn't shave everyday. Using a 5 blade thing. One day recently I watched a program where someone commented that shaving gels and foams are all hype and water is sufficient. I didn't try that, but I did try normal soap, spread on with my hand. Even this was much better than I was using before. I then decided to get a proper brush and try a DE shave. I got a cheap wilkinson soap packet of blades and shaver for less than £2.00, they actually market the price up wrong, but would still have just been under £5.00, so you can guess how plastic the razor was. Also picked up a cheap brush. My shave was getting better but not great. I could almost shave everyday, not grain just going WTG.

I walked passed Geo F. Trumpers in Mayfair, stopped by and picked up some cream and a proper brush, this was getting better. An even more recent visit, I was going to get a proper Murker Futur, but the guy on the counter suggested, trying some skin food, which is helping. He also mentioned everything is in the preparation, and still not to go ATG, which I had been doing sometimes. Whoops!

I'm actually looking to book on one of their one-to-one shaving classes they do. I'm sure I'm still not quite getting it right, and some personal instruction would be great. Can't believe it's taken till my late 30's to try and get a good shave though.

Currently I'm mixed between using a 5 blade cartridge and the cheap DE. I'll see what happens. Before discovering the soap and brush, shaving was a chore, now I look forward to my daily shave. Obviously I've seen most of mantic59 you tube clips.

Great to be here, Looking forward to contributing and learning how to do what should be a basic task.

Welcome to B&B! Congratulations on finding the world of Wetshaving!:w00t:

Funny thing, since I started shaving up until I found wetshaving about 5 months ago... I actually never used the canned foams. I did only use water. I live in a desert region, where we can go half a year without rain. So, its rather dry here... and the foams would always make my skin flake with their strong detergents and dry foamy goop.

Believe me... using good quality shaving soaps or cream is better than just using water. And of course when I say cream... I'm not talking about that canned stuff... I call that Foam :lol:

Hey... check out the B&B Buy/Sell/Trade forum... maybe you'll get a free PIF for being a beginner... or maybe you'll be able to pick up a real nice Gillette or Merkur!

Btw, I LOVE my futur, and am only recently about to try Gillette's once they arrive in the mail.

Hey... check out the B&B Buy/Sell/Trade forum... maybe you'll get a free PIF for being a beginner... or maybe you'll be able to pick up a real nice Gillette or Merkur!

First, welcome to Badger and Blade!!

Here are few threads you might want to check out, to acquire some shaving supplies:

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98626

(Gillette Fat Handled Tech for $10.00.)

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98567

(Totally free shave gear. You wold qualify if you are current student.) :biggrin:

Welcome to B&B even though I am in Indiana I have driven through Enfield once or twice a year for the past 15 years or so - but driving on the M25 is a nightmare for a "septic tank" like me :) I think you will find this to be a good source of information.

Thanks to you all for your welcome. I intend to get lots of info on here and share anything I may pick up from my own experience.

Welcome. Lucky the man who can casually stroll into Trumpers!
Yea, I know, I thought Id get that comment in. Also a few other traditional shaving shops in the same area. Makes it easier to part with your money.

Welcome to B&B even though I am in Indiana I have driven through Enfield once or twice a year for the past 15 years or so - but driving on the M25 is a nightmare for a "septic tank" like me :) I think you will find this to be a good source of information.
:lol: The M25 can be a nightmare at times. I think the north circular is worse.

Btw, I LOVE my futur, and am only recently about to try Gillette's once they arrive in the mail.
The futur does seem to get the best reviews and comments from members, I also like that it's adjustable. For a new entrant into the world of wet shaving, it's probably good to start mild and work to aggressive or the optimum setting. I'll be sure to have a look at the buy/sell/trade forum.

It's funny, I partly looked into DE shaving as the cost was cheaper per blade (and a better shave), looks like this new hobby will cost more. Much more enjoyable that electric shaving and goo from a can. I cannot say how much difference, just getting a good quality cream and brush made.

Welcome aboard! You certainly seem to be on the right track...oh what I would give to just be able to stroll into Trumper's...Taylor of Old Bond Street...Czech & Speake... :biggrin:

Greetings fellow DE shavers I am new to B+B, I have tried most of the new multi blade razors over the years and the price of the replacement blades has gone stupid. So i have decided to go back to were i started and invest in a murker Futur of the polished chrome variety, And i have found it to be of excellent build quality and the weight is superb you do not have to apply any pressure the razor does all the work, At the moment i am in the process of finding the best blade to suit my aged face.

Top Bottom