What's new

Old School Surgical Tools

V

VR6ofpain

The Tobacco Smoke Enema is definitely interesting. Very crude, but interesting.

proxy.php

I know a man who is a medical history expert and even did some advisory work for The History Channel. The things I have learned from him. It is amazing they survived at all.

Those are pretty cool. Definitely interesting seeing some history of medical instruments. They seem primitive, but our most advanced technology today will look about like that amputation saw does to us to people 400 years from now.

So what does everyone think is the scariest looking out of the bunch?

I still can't figure out how it works, but the skull saw is definitely pretty scary looking to me.

Nice, I learned something new today.
proxy.php

Tobacco Smoke Enema (1750s-1810s)
The tobacco enema was used to infuse tobacco smoke into a patient's rectum for various medical purposes, primarily the resuscitation of drowning victims. A rectal tube inserted into the anus was connected to a fumigator and bellows that forced the smoke towards the rectum. The warmth of the smoke was thought to promote respiration, but doubts about the credibility of tobacco enemas led to the popular phrase "blow smoke up one's ***."

What some it would seem forget, is the majority or surgical instruments date back to Ancient Greece, Persia, China and India, very little "New" has been developed in the grand scheme of things really.........

Tom

Tobacco Smoke Enema (1750s-1810s)
The tobacco enema was used to infuse tobacco smoke into a patient's rectum for various medical purposes, primarily the resuscitation of drowning victims.

I don't know about you, but if they pull me from the bottom of the pool, I'd like them to try the other end first.

- Chris

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I may have to change my vote for greatest invention of all time from the transistor to stainless steel.

I learned last night that maggots were used in large, deep infected and rotting wounds. They would be placed IN the wound then lightly bandaged in (so they would not fall out naturally). The thing with maggots is that they will only eat rotting food therefore eating the damaged tissue and leaving the healthy tissue alone. After the rotten tissue is gone, they crawl out looking for more food or they turn into flies in 2 or 3 days and fly away!

I learned last night that maggots were used in large, deep infected and rotting wounds. They would be placed IN the wound then lightly bandaged in (so they would not fall out naturally). The thing with maggots is that they will only eat rotting food therefore eating the damaged tissue and leaving the healthy tissue alone. After the rotten tissue is gone, they crawl out looking for more food or they turn into flies in 2 or 3 days and fly away!

Disturbingly, it is still practiced.

Top Bottom