Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIF: You pay shipping Rolls Razor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Talking PIF: You pay shipping Rolls Razor

This is a nice Rolls Razor. It has all the paperwork including the "Inspected by" piece of paper.

I would like to PIF this to a member with more than 500 posts. Why, you may ask...

Because I don't want to see this thing sold on eBay or anywhere else...this should be used or displayed, but not profited upon.

It is heavy so I am guessing it will go priority...I would like $5 in shipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ill take it!!1
    Billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well i dont have 500 post almost 400
    Billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

You can have it after 122 more posts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

awesome pif, holy smokes,

it looks brand new.
    Last edited by Jatte; 07-10-2009 at 06:52 PM.
    -Cameron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok fair enough, great offer. Congrats to whoever ends up with it..
    Billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PM sent.
    'Don't talk to me like I'm a child. Now take me to return my Star Wars sheets!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Jim Bow wins!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimBow View Post
    PM sent.
    I hate you!!!!!!!!!!! j/k Congrats man
    Billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you, thank you all. I'd like to thank all the little people...

Seriously, though, this is a great opportunity for me. I've always been curious about this setup, but I've been apprehensive because they're usually none too cheap.
    'Don't talk to me like I'm a child. Now take me to return my Star Wars sheets!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really generous offer!
    I've just recently picked one of these up and I can't wait to start using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now that the PIF is over, I have to comment with all due respect that this reverence for post count continues to baffle me. There are B&B members who joined a few months ago, but who have well over 500 posts. Many have been here longer, but do not post as much. Some members try to make non-substantive posts just to get their numbers up ("welcome to B&B"; "nice razor, Joe") and others post questions or raise issues that are thought provoking, informative and that generate interest in a wide variety of topics.

Having a high post count is a false measure of experience, expertise or knowledge. And it sure as heck is a poor guage of integrity. The fact that a member has ___ posts does not insure that this Rolls "won't end up on Ebay." Jim's integrity insures that it won't end up on Ebay - he's a fine gentleman and honor is the essence of gentlemanly behavior. In my book, if a gent says "this is how its going to be" then you can count on it being that way. But honor has nothing to do with anybody's post count.

By the way - congrats on winning the Rolls! I have 4 of them (well, 3 and one for "parts") and I love 'em. Just be careful the first few times.

Happy shaves,

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I'm obviously a newbie here but... how does that thing work?!

I'm looking at the picture and I can't tell which end is up!
    My Shave Den Equipment List - http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/User:Koss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Island Brian View Post
    Now that the PIF is over, I have to comment with all due respect that this reverence for post count continues to baffle me. There are B&B members who joined a few months ago, but who have well over 500 posts. Many have been here longer, but do not post as much. Some members try to make non-substantive posts just to get their numbers up ("welcome to B&B"; "nice razor, Joe") and others post questions or raise issues that are thought provoking, informative and that generate interest in a wide variety of topics.

Having a high post count is a false measure of experience, expertise or knowledge. And it sure as heck is a poor guage of integrity. The fact that a member has ___ posts does not insure that this Rolls "won't end up on Ebay." Jim's integrity insures that it won't end up on Ebay - he's a fine gentleman and honor is the essence of gentlemanly behavior. In my book, if a gent says "this is how its going to be" then you can count on it being that way. But honor has nothing to do with anybody's post count.

By the way - congrats on winning the Rolls! I have 4 of them (well, 3 and one for "parts") and I love 'em. Just be careful the first few times.

Happy shaves,

Brian
    Relax, usually a PIF is giving to someone with a low post count and is new to shaving.
    Sluggo just did the opposite for a change, there's not much point giving a rolls to a new guy.

I've got about 4 rolls as well. 2 good, 1 OK and 1 totally stripped for parts. They only cost about $5 from UK ebay, and 7-10 shipping.
    Last edited by pablo_h; 07-11-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Happy shaves,

Brian
    You and I are perfect polar examples of what you are saying.
    Blake - A legend among the voices in his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now that the PIF is over, I have to comment with all due respect that this reverence for post count continues to baffle me.
    It's just arbitrary, a whim of the poster. Why not post count? It could be made to fellow alumni of your college or high school, fellow residents of your state, vets, active duty military, stamp collectors, whatever. So long as they have whiskers and are pure of heart, what's the difference?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I did it for one primary reason; which is I did not want to see this sold for more money in the near or distant future. A lot of times PIFs that go to a newbie run the risk of taking advantage of those who are generous on this site.

If I said more than 500 posts, then I could be resonably sure that the person who got it would either use it or PIF it to someone else...not sell it. I got it as a PIF and I wanted to pass it on as a PIF.

Next time I am going to only PIF it to somone with more than 18,000 posts just to see if ouch is paying attention :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Koss View Post
    I'm obviously a newbie here but... how does that thing work?!

I'm looking at the picture and I can't tell which end is up!
    Here are some instructions for using the Rolls. I recently bought one on the bay only to find that it lacked the shaving handle. I inquired around and found one (tip of the hat to PaulX608) but not before scaring the living daylights out of the fellow who sold me the set originally. It hadn't occurred to him that someone might actually take blade to face with the thing and he earnestly feared for my safety .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First off - a clarification. I mean no criticism of anyone!!!!!! I've seen Sluggo around the B&B and I know he is a super solid citizen. He deserves high praise for PIFing. Good on ya, Sluggo. And JimBow is also a solid, super-duper citizen (and thank you for your service) and I am elated that a serviceman won, regardless of his post count.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo_h View Post
    Relax, usually a PIF is giving to someone with a low post count and is new to shaving. Sluggo just did the opposite for a change. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nid Hog View Post
    It's just arbitrary. . . .
    Whether or not I am "relaxed" (), its not arbitrary. Sluggo actually used post count as a standard of measurement for a completely different reason. He very specifically indicated that post count was used as a means of gauging whether the recipient might subsequently sell the item on Ebay. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    You and I are perfect polar examples of what you are saying.
    So you believe post count is a good measure of experience or expertise or integrity? I am truly interested, so please tell me why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nid Hog View Post
    So long as they have whiskers and are pure of heart, what's the difference?
    Now THAT is something I definitely agree with!

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    I did it for one primary reason; which is I did not want to see this sold for more money in the near or distant future. A lot of times PIFs that go to a newbie run the risk of taking advantage of those who are generous on this site. . .If I said more than 500 posts, then I could be reasonably sure that the person who got it would either use it or PIF it to someone else...not sell it. I got it as a PIF and I wanted to pass it on as a PIF.
    First of all, thanks again for being a PIF-er. Your reply reaches the heart of my issue. You raised an issue of integrity. By entering the contest for your PIF, the entrant is (IMHO) pledging to comply with your request to not sell the razor on Ebay. I just do not think post count is any indication of whether someone will live up to that pledge. I say Jim will comply with your request, but not because he has a high post count. I say Jim will not sell the razor on Ebay because by entering, he put his word on it. I assume (for no reason more than just because Jim is a B&B member) that he will be a gentleman and a man of his word.

Also, post count is not even a reliable indication of newbie-ism anymore. Jim (again, bless him for winning), joined in February 09 and has over 1,000 posts. For all I know, he's been a wet shaver for years. . .or just started. So is he not a newbie because of a high post count? Or is he a newbie despite a high post count? (Sorry, Jim, for using you as an example - don't mean to put you on the spot. . .but ya did win, dude!)

Again, not meaning to criticize, just wanting to understand different views on this issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

So you believe post count is a good measure of experience or expertise or integrity? I am truly interested, so please tell me why that is.
    No, my point was I have a high post count but have not been here for that long.
    Blake - A legend among the voices in his head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast