What's new

What a mess!

Greetings Gents,

I've recently been on a mission to stock up on various triple milled shaving soaps. I'm finding that I really like them over the creams with one exception, they are a mess.

I know that some of you who have attended the OK University of shaving learned to tip your bowl and let the drippins run into the mixing bowl - sounds like a pork recipe. :biggrin:

I have been doing this, but still end up with the bowl covered with soap. Do any of you take the soap out, lather it in your hand allowing the excess to fall into your mixing bowl and then replace the soap once it's cleaned up?

Anyone figure out I'm your typical Type A perfectionist personality yet? Or as SWMBO likes to say, anal. Which I of course promptly thank her for the compliment. :smile:

I welcome any and all recommendations.

Rik, so such luck here. I am starting to use more soaps and find the same problem. I usually just wipe the soap bowl clean and let the soap dry.

Here is my trick:

Turn the bowl upside down (if you have used the soap more than once, it should be fused in there) and run it under water for a few seconds. If you do it right, it will wash off the bowl and not wick around to get the soap wet. Then let it drip for a moment and give it a quick wipe with a tissue or towel.

I just let the crud dry on the soap and mug and put it away. Before I shave though, I put a few tablespoons of hot, even boiling water on the soap and let it soften it up a little, then I pour the soupy mixture in to my mixing bowl and lather up.

But I also have an old coffee mug for each soap I own.

Scotto said:
Here is my trick:

Turn the bowl upside down (if you have used the soap more than once, it should be fused in there) and run it under water for a few seconds. If you do it right, it will wash off the bowl and not wick around to get the soap wet. Then let it drip for a moment and give it a quick wipe with a tissue or towel.
Thanks, this sounds like a good solution. I'll give it a try in the morning.

Scotto said:
Here is my trick:

That's what I do, upside down in running warm water for a couple seconds, then a towel dry. No muss, no fuss.

-Nick

Great suggestion gentlemen. It worked like a charm with multiple style bowls. Once again there is order in my life. :biggrin:

Lately, I've been removing the soap from the bowl and lathering it in my hand. I then move my brush to my shaving vessel, wipe off the residual cream from the soap and use that and the shaving cream in my hand as the initial application to my face.

I allow it to soften my beard while I work the lather in my shaving vessel. The soap then goes back into the dry clean bowl ready for another day. Yet another twist on this obsession of ours. :biggrin:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Greetings Gents,

I've recently been on a mission to stock up on various triple milled shaving soaps. I'm finding that I really like them over the creams with one exception, they are a mess.

I know that some of you who have attended the OK University of shaving learned to tip your bowl and let the drippins run into the mixing bowl - sounds like a pork recipe. :biggrin:

I have been doing this, but still end up with the bowl covered with soap. Do any of you take the soap out, lather it in your hand allowing the excess to fall into your mixing bowl and then replace the soap once it's cleaned up?

Anyone figure out I'm your typical Type A perfectionist personality yet? Or as SWMBO likes to say, anal. Which I of course promptly thank her for the compliment. :smile:

I welcome any and all recommendations.
You gots to get into the mess of it. Like playing in the mud when you were a kid. Don’t rinse your brush when you’re done. Just leave it in the mug. Go old school man! You don’t even need a mug - just hold the puck in your hand and lather it up. Just kidding of course but I have done all the above. I do love playing in my soap. Leaving the brush in the mug I rinsed actually works well though. I’ve been using the same brush for eight years with no adverse effects. BTW my wife calls me anal as well - just uses a different word.

Top Bottom