What's new

Is traditional wetshaving really cheaper than cans of foam and Mach 3s?

It's funny how the price per shave was what drove me away from cartridges and what not.

But after looking in my bathroom cabinet today, and then checking my credit card statement, I'd say my cost per shave the last week has fluctuated from $10-28 dollars per. :lol::lol::lol:

At the rate I'm going now, I'll be able to pick up a 12 pack econosize of Mach 3 cartridges for less than a days shave.:lol::biggrin:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wetshaving is without a doubt cheaper than cartridge and can.

It's the desire to own more than what is required to shave each day that costs.

I'd bet no one has 25 of the cartridge handles residing neatly in a display case.

Bismarck 6/8 Straight $130 (Lasts forever)
Vintage Strop (Less than 20, also forever)
Vintage Barber Hone (Less than 20, also forever)
Vulfix Boar Brush, 10 Bucks
Arko Shave Stick, 2 bucks say 4 sticks a year.
I could do that, I don't want to but it beats the multi blade.

For De get a super speed (less than 25) and 100 red packs a year for about 10 bucks.

Shaving is cheap, ultra cheap. AD's and high class stuff can get expensive.

It is if you let it be. I've come out cheaper most of the time, but I used Fusions. The only place I spend more money is on different creams and aftershaves, but once I have my main selection down that'll cease to be the case.

It can definitely be cheaper. For years I used nothing but my trusty Z3 '54 gilette flare tip, Wilkinson blades, $1/puck William's mug soap, and a few bottles of after shave and skin cream. I went online looking for better blades because the Wilkinson's have gone downhill. Then I found B&B and that's when the ADs kicked in.

Run, don't walk!

yes. it is when the ADs set in that the wallet suffers. But once that goes away, and it does tend to go away traditional wetshaving is cheaper than canned cream and mach 3s.

In theory DE shaving is cheap cheap.

In practice...ah practice...unfortunately practice is where all the fun is.

I think DE Wet Shaving is way cheaper, for the member's here who don't turn this into a hobby/ obsession.

I am sure, if necessary, I could get by the rest of my life using my Merkur 38C, derby blades, VDH Deluxe Soap, A Pure Badger Brush, and Aqua Velva "Ice Blue". That's if I had to do so. It' would be boring, but it would get the job done. :eek:

Issue is, that most of us get great pleasure out of customizing our shaves, and trying out different variables: we turn this from being a chore, into being a hobby we are passionate about. :w00t::w00t:

It's funny how the price per shave was what drove me away from cartridges and what not.

But after looking in my bathroom cabinet today, and then checking my credit card statement, I'd say my cost per shave the last week has fluctuated from $10-28 dollars per. :lol::lol::lol:

At the rate I'm going now, I'll be able to pick up a 12 pack econosize of Mach 3 cartridges for less than a days shave.:lol::biggrin:

No one ever said you had to by everything you see....:biggrin:

That said, it costs me about .25 a shave, a cartridge/can shave costs about .68 a shave.

Yep cheaper and way way better.

The only answer that needs to be given to this oft asked question is yes. The costs of various AD's should be considered seperately from per shave costs.

Like most of the people in this post, I've found that you quickly start accumulating more "toys" that increase the cost per shave. My wife warned me it would happen, and I denied it would.

I should have known better.

Like most of the people in this post, I've found that you quickly start accumulating more "toys" that increase the cost per shave. My wife warned me it would happen, and I denied it would.

I should have known better.

Mine said the same thing :lol:

Of course, she is very pleased at the cost of this AD compared to my other AD's

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Wetshaving is without a doubt cheaper than cartridge and can.

It's the desire to own more than what is required to shave each day that costs.

I'd bet no one has 25 of the cartridge handles residing neatly in a display case.

+1

And 400 spare blades available...

I didn't start using a DE to save money.

I was in search of a better shave ... and to that end, I've succeeded.

Its just money right. You can't lather up with dollar bills and shave with nickels and dimes. I think for most of us this is more than just shaving. It has become something of an interest or pastime. Forget about going to the movies, I'll buy some cream and a brush. I do try to get out of the house now and then though.

I didn't start using a DE to save money.

I was in search of a better shave ... and to that end, I've succeeded.

Well said. Although truthfully, I was looking for a good shave without having to buy Mach 3 blades. My girlfriend tends to chew through them faster than I. With a DE, I knew she would keep her hands off :lol:

Top Bottom