What's new

My Ogallala day

Today was my first day using the goodies I got from Ogallala. I do love bay rum and I got a bunch of stuff from him. I was mostly interested in the aftershaves, so I ordered the sampler, then I saw he had a sample of the bay rum cologne for a penny, so I got that. Well, then I had to get some shaving soap... He threw in some extras too, so it was a bay rum cornucopia!

So anyway, got in the shower, used the shower bar he sent. Folks, this has some serious scent to it! It is a bay rum but one that is heavy on the cloves. No seriously, the whole bathroom smelled like the soap, that's a good thing of course:) I shave in the shower, so I broke out the lime and peppercorns shave soap and lathered up. After using the bath soap, the scent in the shave soap was pretty subtle. I'm not sure if it really is subtle or if it was overwhelmed by the shower soap, but the only time I noticed it was when the brush was right under my nose.

The lather was OK. This is only my second soap and it was my first shave stick, so I'm not sure if my technique is up to snuff with this soap. Does it usually take some time to get used to a new soap? I can only compare it to the Col. Conk's bay rum shaving soap that I've been using. The Ogallala didn't seem to be as slick to me, and I didn't get as much lather either. Like I said, maybe over the next couple of days I'll get better lather, we'll see. I also found it to be more drying to my skin than the conk's stuff. In any case, the shave was fine, no complaints.

Next up, the supposed reason for my order in the first place, the aftershave. The sample pack had the original, lime and peppercorns, and the bay rum and sandalwood included. The lime and peppercorns was up first. I splashed some on, what a lovely scent! I don't think I smelled too much pepper, but the lime was certainly there and surrounded with the bay rum. I was enjoying that when WHOOOSH! my face caught on fire. At least, that's what it felt like. Quite a burn, but I gotta say, it was a pretty nice one as burns go. I can see people not liking it, but I did after the first couple of seconds.

I'm not sure what to think of the aftershave yet. I've only ever used the Nivea cooling aftershave balm and needless to say, this stuff was quite a bit different! Curiously, the Ogallala did feel like it was cooling after the initial burn subsided. It certainly didn't moisturize like the Nivea, bit i don't think it's supposed to...

So all in all, I'm not sure what to think of the shaving end of things from Ogallala just yet. I will say that the bath soap is Amazing, and the scent of the aftershave is quite nice as well. I do like the bay rum cologne, I tried that yesterday. It doesn't last for a long time, but it is a nice balance on my skin although once again, heavy on the cloves. I'll try the double strength tomorrow. I'll report back on how my face feels throughout the day and my follow up on the soap.

I love the Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorn aftershave. I don't like sandalwood or I'd be crazy for that scent as well.

You are spot on about the clove. My wife says the cologne makes me smell like a christmas ham!

I love the Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorn aftershave. I don't like sandalwood or I'd be crazy for that scent as well.

You are spot on about the clove. My wife says the cologne makes me smell like a christmas ham!

Lol, a ham? The sandalwood smells very vanilla to me, at least wafting it from the bottle.

Great stuff. The soap gives me a bit of a burn, but the Bay Rum/Sandalwood AS is part of my permanent rotation. :smile:

Does the AS smell like vanilla on you? That's what it smells like to me from the bottle.

There's a bit of a sweet scent, to be sure, but not overwhelmingly so. The bay rum balances it out nicely on application, IMHO. It's very important with all of the ogallala stuff to shake the bottle -- the oils tend to separate otherwise.

Top Bottom