What's new

Just bid on this khaki set...is it legit?

I don't think so...It just looks like a khaki case with a Travel Tech. I'm sure if they made one that small, the space for the handle would have been made to accomodate the size.

That handle does not go with that set. The case itself is very nice and I'd bid on it to get that case. But I won't. I have one. Just not in that nice a condition!

Which is a good reason not to post links to live auctions (in addition to it being frowned upon by the B&B TOS).

Rog Brent...sorry to bust B&B rules. I had to verify my thoughts...just purchased it anyway...so now I have to complete the damn thing!

Here is another pic of the razor in the Khaki Set box...

That handle does not go with that set. The case itself is very nice and I'd bid on it to get that case. But I won't. I have one. Just not in that nice a condition!

Which is a good reason not to post links to live auctions (in addition to it being frowned upon by the B&B TOS).

Bidding was closed by the time he posted it, so I think all is okay.

The Army would not issue a short handled razor like that because the troops would generally have a hard time with them.

It is a nice case. Missing the mirror and the razor is all wrong for the era but I would have paid that for the case likely. Not sure about the blade case, but it looks like it could be right for the time.

Plus a travel tech is nice razor to boot.

I actually just bought this khaki set for $28. I feel like it was a fair price, as long as it's legitimate. It apparently has a very small crack, which is too bad.

Attachments

• $281996595_o.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 225
The real military issue Khaki Set razors will be marked "PROPERTY U.S.ARMY" (same as the case is marked) on the bottom of the razor's head. I mention this because there are many mismatches and civilian Khaki Sets (civilian sets bear the words "MADE IN U.S.A" rather than "PROPERTY U.S.ARMY") being sold as original army issue. Also, AFAIK, the Khaki Sets were all WWI era and contained only ball handled Old Style Gillettes as their razor.

-Clarke

Canada has a Khaki set that had a Fat-Handled Tech....same case format, but WWII. Not sure it was an issue set...could have been a private purchase set.

That is the one I am looking for.

The real military issue Khaki Set razors will be marked "PROPERTY U.S.ARMY" (same as the case is marked) on the bottom of the razor's head. I mention this because there are many mismatches and civilian Khaki Sets (civilian sets bear the words "MADE IN U.S.A" rather than "PROPERTY U.S.ARMY") being sold as original army issue. Also, AFAIK, the Khaki Sets were all WWI era and contained only ball handled Old Style Gillettes as their razor.

-Clarke

i actually owned a khaki set with the razor having no army markings that saw action in france during the war.

i actually owned a khaki set with the razor having no army markings that saw action in france during the war.
That being the case, the info I was given must be incorrect. I was told Gillette produced two Khaki Sets, one for military issue and one for purchase.

-Clarke

That being the case, the info I was given must be incorrect. I was told Gillette produced two Khaki Sets, one for military issue and one for purchase.

-Clarke

As far as I know that is true, but that wouldn't keep the soldier from buying a set from the PX or receiving one as a gift and taking it into action.

Gillette made at least two Khaki sets. One came with a mirror; the other didn't. I have one of each.

I seem to recall that they also made a Khaki pouch (but my recollection may be incorrect).

Also keep in mind that the true Khaki Set razors were plated with chrome or nickel, and not silver like the civilian models. This is also true of the bulldog handle three-piece razor in the officer's Military Set.

Gillette made at least two Khaki sets. One came with a mirror; the other didn't. I have one of each.

I seem to recall that they also made a Khaki pouch (but my recollection may be incorrect).
I've seen Khaki pouch sets. I don't recall if they were marked Army Property or not though.

-Clarke

Top Bottom