What's new

I'm cracking up... not funny!

So I am getting into the groove with my Gillette 1-9 slim, yesterdays shave consisted of me being cheap and not wanting to put in a new personna blade.. So I dug the just discarded DE blade out of the container I'm saving the blades in.. for just one more shave. Using Barbasol w/aloe "in can" I get a pretty good shave the blade seemed to really be holding up nice...maybe just my technique "not rushed".. after wards I really had to hydrate my face as it looked like lamp shade leather.

Today I break down and get a new personna blade.. same routine and cut the crap out of my face. Would the new blade have been bad to start with ?
I almost put the old blade back in "4 shaves" on it.

What do you guys think ? I read a post yesterday from from someone saying they do something to the new DE blades like polish it or give it 10 ? not sure but sounded like they were polishing the DE blade before using it.. Are these blades prone to being flawed or is it just likely me.?

(Never mind the below question, I found a specific forum for this one)
Also on another note, any recommendations on a non scented after shave that will hydrate and not stink up the place.. the wife hates girlie smelling frangrences on me..and it seems that the three I bought are all scented and now in the trash.. except the old spice, I hid it?

Last edited:
I'm a newbie to the DE blades so I can't answer there (sorry!). But as for the non-scented ASB I use Nivea Sensitive Aftershave (coupled with Nivea sensitive skin moistureizer). The Nivea sensitive ASB has a minor smell to it (not a girlie smell) and fades rapdily and can barely notice it.

I don't usually process blades before using them, but I do hand strop them between shaves.

Unscented AS? Thayers original Witch Hazel. I use the alcohol free. Yeah, there's a bit of a natural scent, but it goes away quickly. It is certainly not girlie smelling.

I don't usually process blades before using them, but I do hand strop them between shaves.

Unscented AS? Thayers original Witch Hazel. I use the alcohol free. Yeah, there's a bit of a natural scent, but it goes away quickly. It is certainly not girlie smelling.

Thanks for the link to the viedo info, I'll check that out later. Does the witch hazel non-alcohol moisturize or just cleanse and soothe?

QED Aftershave skin conditioner is great. And it comes in many scents. Go to qedusa.com for that and contact Charles. He'll help you out.
Another option is the aftershave milk over at theshaveden.com
Both of these are around 14 bucks for a 4oz bottle, but you need so little of each, that the 4oz will last you a while.
I've been wetshaving for for months using the QED as my primary aftershave and the bottle is half full. So I'd say it'll last at least 6-8 months

I also agree with the recommendation of Nivea ASB. It's cheap and effective. It may not be moisturizing enough for your ultra dry skin though. What I often do is use the Nivea ASB and then follow it with a TINY amount of QED ASSC for extra moisture.

Last edited:

I did check that video out and will begin hand stropping the blades, I saved my old blades even though they were still cutting great... in fact I think they worked better on the third shave "personna's".. could just be in my mind as I start thinking this blade is no longer as prone to slicing me up so I relax or something off the wall... Wierd but I think it's wasteful to disacrd a blade after 3 uses... and really think my irritation from todays shave may have been avoided had I gave that blade a good stropping.

One thing that'd be cool would be to look at a blade before and after under a super powerful micro scope..

Last edited:
I found ASBs to be too heavy for my taste, but I didn't want the drying/cooling effect of alcohol. The Thayers Witch Hazel hits me just right. I can't say that I feel any extra moisterizing from it, but it does leave my skin feeling good and never dry. Thayers' formula has more than just Witch Hazel (e.g. there's aloe in there too), but I think it's primarily Witch Hazel. This is the stuff I use, but I find it in a local market for $7 (and no shipping).

I read an article on stropping blades that dated back to the 30s where they had photographed some blades under heavy magnification. It was a little tough to read as optics back then aren't nearly what we're used to today, but it still got the point across. According to the article, and if their evidence is to be believed, it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I found ASBs to be too heavy for my taste, but I didn't want the drying/cooling effect of alcohol. The Thayers Witch Hazel hits me just right. I can't say that I feel any extra moisterizing from it, but it does leave my skin feeling good and never dry. Thayers' formula has more than just Witch Hazel (e.g. there's aloe in there too), but I think it's primarily Witch Hazel. This is the stuff I use, but I find it in a local market for $7 (and no shipping).

I read an article on stropping blades that dated back to the 30s where they had photographed some blades under heavy magnification. It was a little tough to read as optics back then aren't nearly what we're used to today, but it still got the point across. According to the article, and if their evidence is to be believed, it makes a difference.

Thanks for the info on the Thayer's, I've seen that and will check it out closer.. I have some books and a small cactus farm on my property.. my moms house is silly with cactus... gives me ideas..

Thanks again

I did check that video out and will begin hand stropping the blades, I saved my old blades even though they were still cutting great... in fact I think they worked better on the third shave "personna's".. could just be in my mind as I start thinking this blade is no longer as prone to slicing me up so I relax or something off the wall... Wierd but I think it's wasteful to disacrd a blade after 3 uses... and really think my irritation from todays shave may have been avoided had I gave that blade a good stropping.

One thing that'd be cool would be to look at a blade before and after under a super powerful micro scope..

UPDATE:

So this morning I hand stropped the blade from hell from yesterdays shave "a new personna" and surprise.. excellent shave to the extent of my pathetic abilities and no cuts.. face actually feels pretty darn good.. I think to be putting too much pressure in the blade though. Sometimes I feel like it's in Zen others not so.. Guess it's practice and more practice... still using the Barbasol in a can for now, actually like it much better than a more expensive gel I was using.

Top Bottom