What's new

What to do when you KNOW you're going to have razor burn/irritation?

This is something I've wondered about for a while now.

I have decent enough technique and/or a fairly thick and insensitive hide to where I can get DFS/BBS shaves on my cheeks, jawline, chin, upper lip and the upper part of my neck.

The part that gets me is the very base of my neck, where my beard begins to grow. The hair grows upward toward my forehead, and at a very shallow angle. Regardless of the angle I use with the razor or which blade I use, it still pulls and irritates pretty severely.

I've just about given up trying to shave that ATG, but when I do, or when I get it at a little bit of an oblique angle while going XTG, it gets pretty irritated and angry, and I can tell before I'm even done shaving.

What do you guys use to calm it down? In particular, what can you put on it or do to it so that it doesn't get more inflamed and red later in the day or the next day?

Sometimes if I feel I've irritated my face in the middle of a shave I'll pause, rinse with cold water and use the Alum, wait a few minutes, then come back and rinse with hot water to get my face prep'ed again, and go on with the shave...

Well, there are three issues:
1. Your Skin
2. Your Technique
3. Your After care

I'm assuming you are specifically asking about after care? If so I find a good splash tames down the occasional nasty for me. You may need to try a few until you find what works best for you but personally I always grab Proraso or Speick after any especially nasty go with the razor.

When I was still getting the hang of it and figuring out what worked best for me, there were a couple of days that I resorted to sun burn gel (aloe vera + lidocaine) as my "after shave." It helped quite a bit, but at the end of the day, it's your technique that will solve the problem. Remember... very little to no pressure, especially on the neck.

If you know things are not going well:
1. Settle for an OK shave, dont try for BBS. Apply some aftershave balm between passes. Nivea works best.
2. Cold water Rinse
3. Thayers Medicated which hazel (this stuff is amazing)
3. Wait for WH to dry and apply a good balm. Proraso or Burts bees work best.
4. If it really bad use some talc powder.

While your shave is in progress, I agree with the others, stop or slow down. Settle for an okay shave when you're getting too irritated. Concentrate on healing your skin, re-appraise your attack and plan for a better shave on another day. Here are some things that I think about in such cases.
  1. Prep. You didn't mention prep. It could be that these hairs need to be prepped better for cutting. Have you tried Kyle's prep? If not, give it a read and give it a try. It works pretty well.
  2. Recover. I use Thayers Witch Hazel as my AS every day. When I've done something nasty, I layer 100% pure aloe gel on top of that. Hey, I'm a natural kind of guy, but it works really well at healing your skin.
  3. Plan your attack. It sounds like you already know which way your hair is growing which is a great start. Next step is to make sure you're off the whole north-south-east-west thing. Do your reduction passes WTG & XTG. If your hair changes directions at a certain point, change the direction of your stroke as appropriate.
  4. ATG. For me, successfull ATG is done with a very light touch and a very light angle. Practice going ATG (after you've healed) at an angle you'd think wouldn't even work, yet you're hearing a little bit of shaving. Don't worry at this stage about BBS. Concentrate on irritation free ATG passes. BBS will come.
  5. ATG+XTG. I also sometimes go a little XTG on some of my ATG strokes. 100% ATG's a pretty agressive thing. Taking things at a slight angle can really help smooth things out. As your technique improves, go a little less XTG and a little more ATG. Remember, your goal is irritation free at this stage, not BBS. You'll get some DFSs along the way.
  6. J-Hooking. Sometimes I have a problem that my blade grabs on an ATG pass. When this happens, I stop immediately. If lightening my touch doesn't work or adding a shade of XTG to my ATG, sometimes I just need a little momentum. This is where I'll throw in a few J-Hooks. I start my J XTG and swing it around once the blade is moving to ATG.

Last edited:
I've found that Nivea Sensitive Skin Post Shave Balm goes a long ways towards soothing razor burn...

When i really really messed up things in shaving i do these two things before going to work.

1. Put a cold towel on my face for around 5 minutes. I always have one of these on my fridge b/c i live in the caribbean and things are getting really hot in here (Global Warming).

2. Nivea Sensitive Skin.

Last edited:
I have to agree with RichGem. I have some aloe sunburn gel that works great on razor burn. Really heals it up fast but alas it smells like a suntan product so not very appropriate for work. I have thrown some on in the car on the way home though just to relieve the irritation.

I use Gold Bond Extra Strength Powder on razor burn. Helps quiet the skin quite nicely.

But then again - it probably boils down to technique. It may take some time, but you will eventually figure it out.

T

Tomon

Have problems in the same area, my hair grows opposite at that spot - meaning that I am supposed to shave from my feet and up, how ever I can´t get anything near 30 degress going upwards with the razor.

throw alcohol a/s on your face.

if it:

burns - youve done ok

if it:

makes your face turn red and catch on fire with nothing but white flames and brimstone - youve done something wrong.

This is something I've wondered about for a while now.

I have decent enough technique and/or a fairly thick and insensitive hide to where I can get DFS/BBS shaves on my cheeks, jawline, chin, upper lip and the upper part of my neck.

The part that gets me is the very base of my neck, where my beard begins to grow. The hair grows upward toward my forehead, and at a very shallow angle. Regardless of the angle I use with the razor or which blade I use, it still pulls and irritates pretty severely.

I've just about given up trying to shave that ATG, but when I do, or when I get it at a little bit of an oblique angle while going XTG, it gets pretty irritated and angry, and I can tell before I'm even done shaving.

What do you guys use to calm it down? In particular, what can you put on it or do to it so that it doesn't get more inflamed and red later in the day or the next day?
Just keep using a nice light touch for your shave. As you continue shaving your technique will improve and your shaves will get better. Just remember, NO PRESSURE. At times I'll get a bit of redness and burn. I use any witch hazel after a good warm rinse followed by a good cold rinse. After all the rinse is done I use a good cooling balm. That works for me. :biggrin:

Regards,

Paul

Top Bottom