What's new

Sherman Cigarettes

I quit smoking 35 years ago, but before I quit I smoked Sherman Cigarettes for a year or so. I thought they were fantastic.

Just wondering if anyone around these parts is familiar with them and what they think of them. I Googled and see they are still available. This is them:
proxy.php

http://www.natsherman.com/product.c...4D8-19B9-F18B-228E02AE6FFD53EC&productid=1101
The box looks about the same as my memory of them from way back then. The box is (was?) thick cardboard and the top was a lid that lifted off.

No. But no additives is appealing. Does that exclude strontium (and other poisons etc), igniters, propellants etc? JUST TOBACCO as grown and dried? Now that would be something.

My wife likes the "Fantasias", for their colors, I think.

I always heard they were made from better tobacco, and they taste it. But, I'm not crazy about them just for that reason. I remember them being too cigar-like.

No. But no additives is appealing. Does that exclude strontium (and other poisons etc), igniters, propellants etc? JUST TOBACCO as grown and dried? Now that would be something.

I suspect that's the case. If you set one down for a couple of minutes you will need to re-light it. But I am talking about what they sold 35 years ago.

Nat Sherman are great cigarettes ... at one time or another, I've smoked every brand in his cigarette line, and they're all good. The Virginia Circles were long-time favorites of mine, but they're no longer available. Now, I prefer either the Classics or New York Cut.

I used to buy their cigs by mail order when I was in the Navy ... even when deployed to the Mediterranean, and relying on the USPS both ways I could generally mail off an order and have smokes in hand in 6~8 days. They don't call themselves "Tobacconists to the World" for nothing.

About 10 years ago, I went to the Sherman store in NYC to buy a fancy lighter ... its quite a place. Two stories tall, with a winding staircase, a huge walk-in humidor where you can see the private lockers of the likes of David Letterman and Demi Moore. A great view of 5th Avenue while you sit and enjoy your cigar. They even have a smoking museum upstairs, with framed letters of praise from celebrities, politicians and royalty

I always heard they were made from better tobacco, and they taste it. But, I'm not crazy about them just for that reason. I remember them being too cigar-like.

Maybe true, but I did inhale them just like any other cigarette. I never inhaled any cigar.

I used to buy their cigs by mail order when I was in the Navy ... even when deployed to the Mediterranean, and relying on the USPS both ways I could generally mail off an order and have smokes in hand in 6~8 days. They don't call themselves "Tobacconists to the World" for nothing.

About 10 years ago, I went to the Sherman store in NYC to buy a fancy lighter ... its quite a place. Two stories tall, with a winding staircase, a huge walk-in humidor where you can see the private lockers of the likes of David Letterman and Demi Moore. A great view of 5th Avenue while you sit and enjoy your cigar. They even have a smoking museum upstairs, with framed letters of praise from celebrities, politicians and royalty

I first started smoking them in the very early 1970s when I lived in Poughkeepsie, NY. There was a tobacco shop there that sold them. When I moved to California I had to mail order them. I just checked their web site for dealers in Poughkeepsie but none were listed. Poughkeepsie used to be a pretty vibrant city but was definitely on its way downhill even by 1970.

I don't get to NYC often but next time I am there, if time permits, I'll need to make a visit to the Sherman store.

I smoked a few Nat Shermans back in the day. But, my favorite fancy cigarettes were called "English Ovals". I don't remember much about them, but man, were they good. (Maybe they were a type of Nat Sherman).

My favorite American cigarettes were Philip Morris Commanders. They were almost as good as the English Ovals.

And, although I haven't smoked in decades, I have seen ads for a current brand that claims to use only 100% pure tobacco with no additives. I think the brand is American Spirit.

Tim

+1 Been there, done that. Very cool place.

I also quit smoking. I have enjoyed Nat Shermans Products, (Cigars and Cigarettes). The cigarette brand I enjoyed the most of his line was MCD. Here is a pic:

I quit on my birthday in 1987.....on of the smartest moves I ever made. I had a good friend who first worked in a tobacco shop, then later ran his own. So I tried a number of "luxury" cigarettes. They must not have made too great an impression because I can't recall their name. I think they were English.

Nat Sherman's are excellent. Not only are the regular cigarettes good, but I find that they offer one of the best (if not the best) mint/menthol cigarettes. That would be the Nat Sherman Hint of Mint...it is like smoking an Andes chocolate mint

I gave up on Ciggs years ago, but continue to have a soft place in my heart for a cigar. One of my favorites is a Nat Sherman, the Metropolitian Banker (maduro)...

My uncle smoked Shermans, which he ordered through the mail by the carton I think, for many years. To me at the time they seemed quite outre. I tried them and found the ones he smoked to have a sweetish taste that I didn't care for. But he always touted the fact that if he set one down in an ashtray instead of burning down it would simply go out.

Never have cared for their cigars, but the cigarettes have always been second to none. I smoked MCD Brown and Hint of Mints quite a bit back when I worked in the tobacco shop.

The Havana Ovals are nice too, but a tad strong as they are unfiltered.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Went by the Sherman store today and picked up some MCD light and Classic Light. So far so good. :)

Top Bottom