What's new

I need some advice

Guys, I am dying, here. I have this moderately large gout sore on the big knuckle of one of my big toes. It is all red and swollen, It hurts like the devil and it has been hurting for days. Advil is not helping much. Ice water helps a good bit, but I can't sit around all day with my foot in a bucket.

Does anyone know anything that helps?

Tim

Well, a Google search turned up a few suggestions. As I discovered for myself, ice is pretty good. So is an old-fashioned drug called colchicine, for which I have a prescription. But, it makes me sick, so I don't take it. Ibuprofen is supposed to be very good, so maybe I need to try taking 3 instead of just 2. Finally, and this sounds tasty - cherry juice.

And of course, the biggie - a diet low in meats and other proteins. :frown:

Tim

Speaking from experience, you really need to see a doctor as soon as possible. I know it hurts like hell! And, there is prescription medicine available to help. Over the counter stuff really doesn't help much (as you found out). Definitely do not take aspirin, it can make it worse. And, as others have indicated, you will need to change your diet. Good luck!

Edit:

Also, a sandal-type prescription shoe (that keeps the toe from bending) helps. I even wore it while sleeping.

Last edited:
Also, I just remembered reading that ice can actually make it worse....

Gout is caused by excessive uric acid that builds up in the soft tissue around the affected joint(s). When the tissue becomes over-saturated, the uric acid crystallizes in the joint itself. The solid crystals are what cause the pain and inflammation. Ice can actually cause more crystallization to occur.

Tim, I'm so sorry to hear this. I have heard this can be one of the most painful things that can happen. My advice to consult your doctor as soon as possible so you can get over this as quickly as possible. Again, man, I'm really sorry. That sucks. :frown:

Also, I just remembered reading that ice can actually make it worse....

Gout is caused by excessive uric acid that builds up in the soft tissue around the affected joint(s). When the tissue becomes over-saturated, the uric acid crystallizes in the joint itself. The solid crystals are what cause the pain and inflammation. Ice can actually cause more crystallization to occur.

Yes, the info I read said you can use it for about 10 minutes to relieve the pain and swelling, but that using it for long periods of time can do as stated, above.

I took three Advil's before bed, last night, and it helped a lot.

Tim

Tim, I'm so sorry to hear this. I have heard this can be one of the most painful things that can happen. My advice to consult your doctor as soon as possible so you can get over this as quickly as possible. Again, man, I'm really sorry. That sucks. :frown:

Thanks, Tim. It has been starting for the past several years. It has been becoming more acute over the past few months. I have had a few very mysterious "sprained ankles", when I knew I had done nothing to injure them. I would just wake up in the morning with a "sprained ankle", wondering what the hell happened. I discovered in my research, yesterday, that this is very common with gout.

I have seen a doctor about it. He prescribed the colchicine, which makes me so sick I would rather suffer the gout.

Of sourse, what would be my very favorite food? Red meat! My love of red meat is probably why I have gout in the first place.:blushing:

Tim

Thanks, Tim. It has been starting for the past several years. It has been becoming more acute over the past few months. I have had a few very mysterious "sprained ankles", when I knew I had done nothing to injure them. I would just wake up in the morning with a "sprained ankle", wondering what the hell happened. I discovered in my research, yesterday, that this is very common with gout.

I have seen a doctor about it. He prescribed the colchicine, which makes me so sick I would rather suffer the gout.

Of sourse, what would be my very favorite food? Red meat! My love of red meat is probably why I have gout in the first place.:blushing:

Tim

There are some other medications that should work and perhaps not have the undesirable side effects. I suggest talking to your doctor about this.

As mine continued to get worse, (and diet changes didn't completely eliminate it) my doctor prescribed allopurinol. It blocks the production of uric acid in the body and thereby helps to prevent gout.

Good luck!!!

As mine continued to get worse, (and diet changes didn't completely eliminate it) my doctor prescribed allopurinol. It blocks the production of uric acid in the body and thereby helps to prevent gout.

Thanks. I will ask my doctor about this the next time I see him.

Tim

Black Cherry juice specifically. Absolutely no alcohol, red meat, or sea food. Gout sucks. Good luck!

Wow. Not only to you get excruciating pain, but you can’t have alcohol, red meat, or seafood? Talk about salt in the wound…

I looked it up online, and I also asked my parents a couple questions (they’re both doctors). My mother says a big cause of gout is potassium deficiency.

Allopurinol is used as a maintainance drug, it won't help right away. Colchecine is used to treat acute flair ups, but may have some unpleasant side effects and should only be taken when really needed. Dietary changes will help if you are faithfull to the changes. Definately see your doctor, so the two of you can figure out something that will work best for you. Sincerly hope you feel better soon, Phil.

Wow. Not only to you get excruciating pain, but you can’t have alcohol, red meat, or seafood? Talk about salt in the wound…

I looked it up online, and I also asked my parents a couple questions (they’re both doctors). My mother says a big cause of gout is potassium deficiency.

Yep, might want to start eating more bananas, avocados, broccoli... really anything that is a good source of potassium. Orange juice is supposed to be good more boosting potassium levels as well.

My grandfather, who has a touch of gout himself, swears by cherry juice by the way. Tart cherry juice in particular, but I believe just eating them helps as well. Look on the bright side, it gives you an excuse to eat cherry pie more often! :biggrin:

Also increasing your intake of cheese and other diary products is supposed to help lower uric acid levels. Anyway, Tim you have my deepest sympathy. I hope you get it under control soon.

That is very interesting. I had to go in the hospital about a year and a half ago because my wife thought I was having a heart attack. They ran tons of tests and my heart was very healthy. The only thing they found wrong was super-low potassium, which they treated with super-strong potassium drinks.

Maybe I need to go on a bananas, oranges, and melons diet. :tongue:

Tim

That is interesting about the potassium deficiency. However, I know that potassium levels that are too high can cause other serious problems. So, be careful, and have it monitored as necessary.

And, regarding the allopurinol, yes it is a maintenance drug. I should have indicated it should not be started during a flare up. Wait until you are pain free. However, if you are already taking it and have a flare up, you should continue to take it.

Top Bottom