What's new

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap

Just wondering if anyone else out there enjoys using Grandpa Brands Pine Tar Wonder Soap? I've been using it for about three years with great satisfaction. The bar works good as both a soap and even shampoo. I've even used it as a shaving soap on occasion. It also comes in a liquid version but I've yet to try it.

I first read about it on a bicycle website, Rivendell Bicycle Works , and ordered my first batch from them. (They also sell Musco Real.) You can also order it directly from the manufacturer. Recently, I discovered it at a health food store and a small organic grocery store.

Last edited:
When I was a boy I used my Dad's pine tar shampoo, for dandruff.

I think I've used what you referenced or at least something similar. This isn't anything like that.

This bar soap really lathers up nice and white. The nice thing about it is that you can use it for both your body soap and shampoo. It rinses clean. I like the aroma while I'm using it but it doesn't leave you smelling like the soap after your shower is finished. It also helps with some skins conditions.

I almost bought a bar of this today based on this review but the scent of this soap is so over the top that I didn't buy it.

I'm sure it has good cleansing/skin care properties but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe someday though. I'll stick with Dr. Bronners..

good review though!

Marty E.

These are good quality soaps...haven't tried this one myself...but my brother uses the grandpa brand sulfur soap...cheap, good quality and lasts a long time....it stinks to high heaven though. This seems like it would be a stinker too...is t?

These are good quality soaps...haven't tried this one myself...but my brother uses the grandpa brand sulfur soap...cheap, good quality and lasts a long time....it stinks to high heaven though. This seems like it would be a stinker too...is t?

Well, it's kind of like a lot of things--either you really like it or you really don't. When you're using it in the shower, it has the fragrance of a campfire in the fall, but not too strong, just "smoky." It isn't what I would call mediciny. I don't notice an after-smell. It lathers great, especially when you use it as a shampoo. What convinced me to try it was a description on the website of Rivendell Bicycle Works. Even though they are a bicycle company, it's their number one selling item! And, they just started selling Musco Real!

Great stuff. I use it when camping since I believe keeps mosquitoes away. I found the liquid kind on a trip to Maine but prefer the bar.

I've got a little patch of psoriasis on my hand that's been around for almost a year. I've been given some steroid cream from my doctor, but it hasn't done a damn thing. I bought the Grandpa's stuff recently as a last resort kinda thing. I've heard good things about it from people who have similar skin conditions. I've been using it for a week and it's really cleared up the dry, flaky mess and smoothed out my skin as well. The smell is interesting. It almost smells like a smoldering forrest fire after a huge storm smothers it. I kinda like it.

I use this soap every day. I love it!! The smell, the lather, everything.

However, my wife hates it!! I was told initially never to buy another bar, or we'd have to move to a house where we can have separate bathrooms. :biggrin:

Still, I bought half a dozen bars the first time, and I keep buying more before I run out. She hasn't said anything since, but Grandpa's is on borrowed time.

Great stuff!!

I used to use it all the time. I don't remember it having much scent staying power though. I loved it and used it as shampoo also.

Top Bottom