What's new

Buying just the SRD Replacement Strop?

My only strop is a kenrup filly. I want to try a 3' strop, and see that SRD sells 3' replacement latigo strops for $25. These don't come with the hardware, but am wondering if I take a shoestring or leather cord through the loops, that would work.

Has anyone tried this? Seems a lot more economical to try out $25 than $60+

It will work, but there will be a tendency for the leather to cup. Especially the wider 3" leather. Problem is, you won't be able to buy just the hardware and handles at that point, and you will likely end up spending more.

It will work, but there will be a tendency for the leather to cup. Especially the wider 3" leather. Problem is, you won't be able to buy just the hardware and handles at that point, and you will likely end up spending more.

Or do what I did . Go by a leather store and have one made . I took a picture of a popular , highly talked about strop . Let's just say the name has been spoken here many times . Anyway Dan at the leather shop made the same vastly improved item for $25.00 and no tax . He used heavy copper rivets and a heavy polished copper plate he folded over . Used beautiful 3" wide leather that goes on his $8,000 couches he makes . Also made a lead shot filled handle for weight . Stitched some silk threaded tassles to the handle . This keeps the strop straight and prevents cupping . And low and behold if Dan , his father and grandpa aren't straight razor users .

The grandpa had a sick looking device . He made a stainless plate that attached at the top and bottom of the leather . Creating a strong backbone to his strop . He said is was better than a hanging rig .

cityjim

Top Bottom