What's new

Razors in British Museums

Went into London to visit the Science Museum and Victoria and Albert Museum on Wednesday and saw some cool old razors. It would have been more interesting if I was into straights, which there were plenty of, including some exquisite examples in the silver section of the V&A.

What I really liked about the Science Museum was the exhibits on the British home throughout the ages; various glass cases with the standard sorts of things one might find in a typical home of the era, arranged by decade. Honestly there weren't many razors, just a few straights, a Wilkinson Sword auto strop (I think) plus a safety razor with a thin single blade from 1902 or thereabouts, with the tag "Gillette introduces the safety razor" and the date. I didn't recognize this razor at all: it resembled a spindly metal Atra (long, very slim and angled at the top) and had a single blade which was half the width of a DE. It was in fact thinner and less substantial than any razor (old or modern) I've ever seen. Anyone know what this is?

The coolest thing for me razor-wise was in the "plastics" exhibit, in the bakelite section: a perfect bakelite case with a nickel Gillette NEW inside. I like the fact that I shave with a razor that is identical to one that sits in a museum case.

Sorry, no pictures.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's interesting, I should have a look at the local museums around here. Thanks mate!

Found this pic on the net which is more or less like the early safety razor in the museum case. I recall the handle being slimmer, but I could be wrong.

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Isn't it an injector? My knowledge toward those are minus 1...

Noice!

I got that picture from here:

[link removed]

All it says is "Slide-on Head" above the razor.

In the museum each piece was labeled with a number corresponding to an explanation. The explanation for the razor was something like "Gillette invents the safety razor in 1901" (not sure on the year)

Last edited:
Be careful of that Creekstone site ... I got the following warning:
Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.creekstone.net has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
Read more about why this site was flagged by Google.

Omega made a huge deal about the first watch worn on the moon - it changed their fortunes. It doesn't seem as though the first razor (or shaving cream) used in space did much for the companies that made them. I'm sure that they must have passed very rigorous testing to be qualified for use in a manned space flight - especially something that runs a blade over your neck!

Omega made a huge deal about the first watch worn on the moon - it changed their fortunes. It doesn't seem as though the first razor (or shaving cream) used in space did much for the companies that made them. I'm sure that they must have passed very rigorous testing to be qualified for use in a manned space flight - especially something that runs a blade over your neck!

Imagine shaving in zero g: blobs of cream and water and whiskers floating around. I guess they'd want a thick, "sticky" cream that wouldn't fly away. How do you rinse the blade with such a high level of water conservation? Maybe clean the blade with a damp cloth instead. Pretty interesting...

Just found this on spacetoday.org

"First to shave in space: The Apollo 10 crew became the first to shave in space in May 1969. After electric shavers with vacumn attachments didn't work in testing, the astronauts used brushless shaving cream and standard safety razors on their flight and they worked well, even catching the loose whiskers."

Top Bottom