What's new

Finding A Razor

I'm new the wet shave. I've been using the wet shave process with my Gillette Fusion and purchased a DE razor. The razor itself is beautiful but after cutting my face up too much I have given it a rest for a bit. I would like to give it another shot. Do you think I need a new razor? What are the differences in razors? How do you find the right blades?

When I find the right razor and right blade I'm thinking about going to my old barber and asking for a lesson on the wet shave. Are there any teachers out there that are crazy enough to hold a class to teach you how to put a blade to your face?

Thanks

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Which DE did you buy? Do you have a picture?

Blades will varies from one to another. A blade might be good for me but not for you...

I would advise to read the sticky threads on this forum, have a look at Mantic's video (http://www.youtube.com/mantic59).

Remember a 30 degres angle and no pressure!

Last edited:
No pressure is the key! Remember your trying to do beard reduction not get it all in one go. How are you shaving? to start a would say only shave WTG (with the grian) and do two or three passes with no pressure! And take it slow...Consentration is key at the begining.

Most of the people who use a DE use one of two things, a new Merkur or an old Gillette. Both are very good. There are other sorts that work too, but those are the most popular kinds. Gillettes tend to be less aggressive, Merkurs more, so if your main problem is getting your face cut up, I'd suggest an old Gillette.

Best ways to get these are ebay, or a local antiques/estate sale store. While a mint-condition rare model can cost a lot, a slightly scratched example of a common model can be gotten for under twenty bucks, while still having nothing wrong with its functioning. I myself use the Slim Adjustable, but most of their DE models have fans here.

But even if you don't use a vintage Gillette, don't use any razor made by Parker, and in particular any of their twist-to-open models. While they're occasionally okay, they often have serious quality control issues, and even the best one isn't as good as a Gillette or Merkur.

Dunno for sure, but it sounds like your DE razor might be on the agressive side for you. With that in mind, here are some suggestions for good, mild razors:

New razors
  1. Merkur HD
  2. Merkur 38C Barberpole
  3. Goodfella
  4. Weishi

Vintage razors
  1. Gillette Tech
  2. Gillette Superspeed
  3. Gillette Knack
  4. Gillette Twist
  5. Schick Krona
  6. Schick Injector (not a DE, but not a cartridge, either)

I didn't suggest any adjustables, although if you leave the adjustment alone while you skill up, you should be fine.

The agressiveness of the razor has to do with how much of the blade is sticking out (for lack of a better descriptor), correct?

I've also attached a picture of my razor, I'd be lying to you if I knew the brand but it but i bought it at the Upper East Side Art of Shave store. It's not on their website.

It looks like and Edwin Jagger handle wilth the old Muehle head. I can tell you that razor head is agressive. I had one and moved on to a vintage Gillette and got much better results.

Open comb razors are generally more aggressive than those with a safety bar. You need to be extra careful with the blade angle when using one of those, and short strokes are best.

G

gone down south

Typically, AOS stores sell you whatever the associate needs to sell, not what's good for your face :( That's a nice razor, but not so good for learning on.

You need to check out the Buy Sell Trade forum here, pick up a cheap vintage Gillette for $15 or $20, ready all the stickies here, watch mantic's youtube videos a dozen times, then you'll be in much better shape.

EDIT - there's a guy selling Tech's in the BST now for $12! Get the one on the left, and you can say you're shaving with a razor probably made during the Second World War!

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I'd like to blame the AOS guys, I picked this one out on my own. I really liked the horn handle, I think it's beautiful.

In regards to that tech, is it possible to change the head of my horn razor to that one (assuming the threading is the same?) I know it's silly but I like the horn handle, even if the other one is a piece of history.

That should work fine, 3 piece razors have used the same threading for decades. Guys back in the day who didn't want to give up their Old Types when the handles cracked just bought new Techs for the handles. If you just need a 3-piece razor head, look at the Goodfella, Tech, or maybe a Merkur 1904.

G

gone down south

There's no shame in having 2 razors in your cabinet.....:tongue_sm

I went back to AOS on the UES and Angelo did me a "favor" by returning the razor that he sold me a month prior after the wounds on my face finally healed.

I went down the cambridge chemist and got a merkur. I will never shop at AOS again. Nothing against the products, they're actually very nice.

I do have a grudge against uneducated help. Especially help that won't admit that they're wrong and "do you the favor" of letting you returning a product that they didn't know about.

I am sure many of us when we switched over from a fusion got a few cuts or nicks. i have shaved with a gillette cartridge a long time in my life and was using a brush and creams for years. However i looked like i had never shaved before after the first time i used my DE...lol It takes some time my friend. I jumped back and forth for about a month until i got the DE to behave on my face...:biggrin:
i am sure you will get in down pat faster than i did....

Enjoy the new razor....

Top Bottom