What's new

Help with ingrown hairs

Tonight I got a little over zealous with the razor and did a little blade buffing on my neck which turned out to be a big :nono:. Now Im being punished for it with ingrown hairs that itch and hurt like you wouldn't believe. Anybody have any remedies and or help?

When I do that I usually give my neck a days rest. The following night after the shower I'll pluck out the really bad ones and roll and rub the skin to make the others break the surface. The next morning I'll only do 2 passes on m neck, both wtg.
Hope that helps

I have suffered from these since I started shaving and I still do. My best advice to not be overly aggressive. And don't pluck them when you get them. I always have to fight this urge very hard. Try to "pop" them out above the skin, but don't tweeze them. I find whenever I tweeze one it always grows back ingrown. Good luck and if you find a full proof cure, please let me know.

I have suffered from these since I started shaving and I still do. My best advice to not be overly aggressive. And don't pluck them when you get them. I always have to fight this urge very hard. Try to "pop" them out above the skin, but don't tweeze them. I find whenever I tweeze one it always grows back ingrown. Good luck and if you find a full proof cure, please let me know.

+1. You should never tweeze ingrowns. If u have an AoS store around try to get the ingrown hair night cream, this stuff is wonderful. If not find a product that contains Shea butter and apply it to the affected area this will help soften the skin and make it easier to lift the ingrown hair above skin level where you can shave it off. Also you should never try going ATG on the first pass, at least go one pass WTG first

Last edited:
I also have this problem and I am forced to stop shaving and give my face a few days to rest. I also limit the number of passes to two. I don't get a BBS shave but it is very close. Prep time is also very important, never skimp on prep time, make sure your face is hydrated and the hair is soft. No magic cures but it works for me. Keep us updated on what works for you when you find it.

Well i have been using lots of aloe vera to calm things down but in the shower i did try to pop a few of them through the skin which also helped. Thanks for all the help guys!:thumbup:

I never knew there was a concern about tweezing ingrowns and, altohough I rarely have them, I have never had problem.

I believe people with naturally curly hair experience ingrowns moreso than others. My facial hair is coarse and tends to curl after a week or so. I've found there to be no better way to rid myself of ingrowns on the neck than to shave them aggressively (briskly rather than slow short strokes) with a sharp razor. I find when I use a straight on my neck or my Futur on full blast, I end up with fewer ingrown hairs.

I believe they are caused when the blade pulls at them, or strips them (think a balloon ribbon) and they curl beneath the skin. I try to keep them soft and tender, and then cut them as easily as possible (the sharper the better) In my case, a Futur with Derby Extras or Feathers.

Last edited:
People with curly hair DO tend to suffer from ingrown hairs more than folks with straight hair.

To prevent, or at least minimize, the occurence of pseudofolliculitis barbae do NOT shave against the grain.

I realize that this advice may be heresy to some of the multi-pass shaving nuts here on the forum, but "against the grain" is about the worst possible thing you can do.

The other shave-prep discussed at length - hot towels, soaps, lathering with a badger bristle brush, etc. - all help to prevent and/or minimize ingrown hairs. But the ATG has gotta stop. I'd far rather live with a chin and neck that DIDN'T look like a 6 year old's, than one that was covered in painful red welts.

Try Woody's Bump and Ingrown Hair Solution. Works well to calm bumps and helps to clear up ingrowns quite well. Has a strong alcohol smell and is very cooling when applied, feels coating at first but is easily absorbed by your skin.

i have suffered from these since i started shaving and i still do. My best advice to not be overly aggressive. And don't pluck them when you get them. I always have to fight this urge very hard. Try to "pop" them out above the skin, but don't tweeze them. I find whenever i tweeze one it always grows back ingrown. Good luck and if you find a full proof cure, please let me know.

+1

Top Bottom