Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shave sticks

yolo wazuli

Default shave sticks

anyone know a better stick or soap/creme than arko or la toja? these are great, but i'm looking for greater than the best (just one man's opinion). thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I like both QED and Mama Bear shave sticks. Lots of scents and a great lather from both!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irisch Moos is my only shave stick, but man oh man is it good. Great scent, great slick, some of my best lather always comes from Moos.
    Well my heart's runnin' round like a chicken with its head cut off
    All around the barn yard falling in and out of love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yolo wazuli View Post
    anyone know a better stick or soap/creme than arko or la toja? these are great, but i'm looking for greater than the best (just one man's opinion). thanks.
    What improvement are you looking for? Scent, lather...
    By the way I find Arko to be a fantastic Soap and great scent to.
    Last edited by Leche; 07-02-2009 at 10:28 PM.
    ~Anthony~

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

My only shave-stick is Ogallala Bay Rum ... a fantastic performer, any way you want to look at it.

Although I generally prefer unscented or mild products, this stuff has a powerful aroma, and it smells great. Sometimes I just leave it open on the counter so the Bay Rum smell fills the whole bathroom.

The lather is very slick and provides a great shave. It doesn't produce mountains of lather, but then again, it doesn't have to.
    I'm dpm802, and I Approved This Message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Valobra shave stick is fantastic. Tallow-based, nice subtle scent and very moisturising.

QED. Fabulous product. Go to QEDusa.com In the left hand column you'll see "other fabulous products" click that and it will take you to his special brushes and soaps. Have fun. Bathtub gin, wild orange, grapefruit mint, all amazing. Then again, you can get any soap, and if its glycerin based you can melt it into an empty shave stick or deodorant holder and if its not tallow based, you can mill it and smoosh it into those holders. Lots of threads on this. And WELCOME Yolo to B&B!
    Last edited by Darjeeling Express; 07-03-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

A great budget product is the tallow Palmolive. A higher end great product are the DR Harris sticks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

+1 to all the above, tho, myself, I didn't like the scent of the Palmolive. If you can get the old formulation, the Erasmic stick is very nice too. Just get the old (tallow) formula. The new formulation is worthless.

SCS (saint charles shave) also does a couple of sticks.
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

The Wilkinson shave stick is a terrific product. Cheap (in the UK), dense lather, lubes well for excellent slip/slickness, softens whiskers. Easily deposits soap on the whiskers when applied. The soap easily fluffs into a thick lather. First rate on all counts.

It is tallow based and also has lanolin. Out of all the sticks I have (most of those mentioned above...) I like this one the best.

-- John Gehman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BroJohn View Post
    The Wilkinson shave stick is a terrific product. Cheap (in the UK), dense lather, lubes well for excellent slip/slickness, softens whiskers. Easily deposits soap on the whiskers when applied. The soap easily fluffs into a thick lather. First rate on all counts.

It is tallow based and also has lanolin. Out of all the sticks I have (most of those mentioned above...) I like this one the best.

-- John Gehman
    +1, out of the 10 sticks I have I reach for the Wilkinson most followed by the Palmolive. The Harris sticks are nice but they are the smallest(40g) and one of the most expensive, around $14. The Speick stick is another underrated performer.

Cheers,
    David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Talking My favorite shave stick, by far, is the Wilkinsons

it's provides lots of thick, protective lather. It contains tallow, glycerin and lanolin and has a nice old-style scent. Plus, it's a cool blue color

Quote Originally Posted by yolo wazuli View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DR Harris sticks are my travel soap. Great lather and deep mosturizing. Can't go wrong and the scents kick.
    David

Nice but can you shave with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling Express View Post
    QED. Fabulous product. Go to QEDusa.com In the left hand column you'll see "other fabulous products" click that and it will take you to his special brushes and soaps. Have fun. Bathtub gin, wild orange, grapefruit mint, all amazing. Then again, you can get any soap, and if its glycerin based you can melt it into an empty shave stick or deodorant holder and if its not tallow based, you can mill it and smoosh it into those holders. Lots of threads on this. And WELCOME Yolo to B&B!
    I've been using QED sticks of bathtub gin and chocolate and they're both great. Awesome, slick lather and nice scents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BroJohn View Post
    Out of all the sticks I have (most of those mentioned above...) I like this one the best.
    I feel bad that I only managed to send you 9 now

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Seeker View Post
    The Valobra shave stick is fantastic. Tallow-based, nice subtle scent and very moisturising.
    +1 on Valobra. It's great stuff. Speick's stick is very good as well, along with Wilkinson Sword's blue stick.
    -Bob, 3017er.
    ​The 55, 56, 57, 58 & 59

Proud Member of the Great Eagle Group Buy
    Soap for Hope is the Key

"If you can recall a Dead show in detail, then you probably weren't there." - J. Pierpont Ouch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

De Vergulde Hand Scheerstaaf is the best performer I've found, but QED is the best smelling (and a decent performer as well).
    "Busy hands are happy hands!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

Spieck is also a fantastic shave stick! I believe it is tallow-based.
    Norm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpm802 View Post
    My only shave-stick is Ogallala Bay Rum
    + freaking 1. Ogalla makes some super slick stuff. Their products are wicked good and they smell awesome. I bought the stick on a whim but now I'm addicted to their wares. Try their Bay Rum and Sandalwood scented products--really really awesome.
    Whenever I go to shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving, so I say, "I'm gonna go shave, too." -- Mitch Hedberg
    Woman begins by resisting a man's advances and ends by blocking his retreat. -- Oscar Wilde
    Conditioned to self-interest with emotions locked away/If that's what they call normal then I'd rather be insane -- Operation Ivy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Palmolive, Speick, Tabac and Irisch Moos are all great soaps available as a stick but then again, none of them beats my Arko....

YMMV!!
    I must to the barber's, monsieur, for methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast