What's new

How-to: Pre-Shave Prep

Hey All,

My wonderful girlfriend presented me with a new merkur DE brush and soap for my 40th birthday. I do not think she knew, or maybe she did, what path of addictive shaving bliss, mostly, she set me upon.

So I am a baby face with a coarse beard, and a 5 oclock shadow at noon. Up until I received my DE, I had been all over the map of shaving with electrics, dry, wet, carts of all makes and models. Never a BBS, except for one professional shave, but that is another story.

So now my experience is changing, and Im here to learn from the masters.

I have tried several blades in the Merkur which seems to be a very mild razor. Personna's, Wilkinsons, Greek BICs, Astra's, and I have Feathers but havent tried yet. So far the best in order has been BIC, Wilkinsons, Personna's, and least favorite Astra's. All have done fine except for the Astra's, I seem to really beat up my neck with them.

I guess Im telling you my whole story so that I can share my pre-shave experiences. Last night I shaved with an Open Comb Gillette I just picked up off Ebay. I then dropped in an Astra, as it is my least favorite blade thus far, hoping to get better as I tested other blades. I did not jump in the shower as I normally do, but rather splashed hot water on my face for a few and then lathered up and off I went. When I got to my soft neck, ouch. A more aggressive razor with blade that beat me up the first time, and little to no pre-shave prep.

I guess I deserved the Home Alone screech that escaped my lips when the After Shave hit the face. BTW, how many people use Pinaud After Shave, and what do you think?

Anyway, Thanks Kyle for the detailed prep description. The science behind it was great for helping understand why that is such an important step. Comments are greatly desired.

Just discovered this thread after looking all over B&B for Kyle's prep. Thanks for the concise steps. Can't wait to try this out tomorrow a.m.

I tried it this morning...Astra sp, parker 99r, tobs avocado. Not bad...got a couple nicks...my noob technique me thinks...other then that I liked it...takes a bit longer so this is probably something i will leave for Sundays ...great advice thanks

• In removing the towel from the face, use it to wipe off any of the remaining lather. This act removes the dirt, hardened oil, and dead skin cells that you have loosed and are floating in the lather.
  • At this point, you are now ready to re-lather and begin a truly luxurious shave (my words, not the manual’s).

Do we need to splash some hot water on the face after wiping off the lather or just lather on the face as is ?

Thanks.

If I could inflict one piece of advice on wet shavers, it would be to read this article. Reading it, and following the advice, completely changed my shaving experience. When I read the trials other men have, I nod and say, "Yeah, I know what the problem is."

But the main congratulations goes to Kyle. Every B&B member should read this. It should be posted on the front page of the site, or be featured on a special sticky.

Great work!

I have been experimenting and researching oils for over a year and I'd add the following:

If you are going to use oils, try and do so well before the above process! at least T-20 minutes. Allow them to work into the skin and mix with your natural skin oils. I have found the hot washcloth method described above done after this is fantastic. I believe that this is more important as you age. If you are over 50, then you will particularly benefit from this step. The idea of throwing on a little oil seconds before lathering and shaving really misses the whole effect and at best adds only a little slickness or lubrication. Doing so at T-20 or earlier softens the skin (fewer nicks and abrasions), softens the hair follicles, helps moisturize the hair and any surface oil will be effectively gone if you do the above process or something akin to it.

AJ

Great work!

I have been experimenting and researching oils for over a year and I'd add the following:

If you are going to use oils, try and do so well before the above process! at least T-20 minutes. Allow them to work into the skin and mix with your natural skin oils. I have found the hot washcloth method described above done after this is fantastic. I believe that this is more important as you age. If you are over 50, then you will particularly benefit from this step. The idea of throwing on a little oil seconds before lathering and shaving really misses the whole effect and at best adds only a little slickness or lubrication. Doing so at T-20 or earlier softens the skin (fewer nicks and abrasions), softens the hair follicles, helps moisturize the hair and any surface oil will be effectively gone if you do the above process or something akin to it.

AJ
AJ, this is good concept. But not all would want to try it. For me it clogs my pores. But YMMV.

Top Bottom