What's new

What does an aftershave really do?

Greetings all,

I have been experimenting with liquid aftershaves ie; aqua velvet and such. They seem to dry my skin out and thats about it. I see no benefit in using. Balms tend to moisturize but the splash types seem pointless to me, unless you want to feel some burn :001_unsur What is their purpose?

Jay

Depends on what you are looking for and what your skin can tolerate. I like the alcohol sting, personally, and many of the good splashes also have glycerin and other goodies for your face. If you have dry skin, it won't be enough moisture for you and you will need something else.

A really good splash, like Musgo Real or others, leaves your face tingly, perfectly supple, with no tackiness or greasiness like you might get from a thicker balm.

For me, a winning combination is a good splash and a bit of skin food. For the summer that is fine. In the winter, I need some sort of balm, etc.

I would like to try a good splash and I have been eye balling the skin food....The over the counter stuff just isn't cutting it. Thanks for the replies fellas

If an alcohol aftershave is drying your skin, two things can be done:

1) apply to wet face
2) apply moisturizer afterward. (or skin food)

I do both of these on occasion, but sometimes skip the moisturizer. In the winter, however, I'll most likely not skip the moisturizer very often.

To answer your direct question, I use alcohol aftershave to restore the PH balance of my skin, to tone the skin, and in some cases for a menthol kick.

I would like to try a good splash and I have been eye balling the skin food....The over the counter stuff just isn't cutting it. Thanks for the replies fellas

Some here might call
Corn Huskers Lotion....
"ghetto skin food."
Try some.
It works great.

Some here might call
Corn Huskers Lotion....
"ghetto skin food."
Try some.
It works great.

I have actually been trying this since my Monday shave and it seems to work pretty well. Trumper's Skin Food seems to leave a smoother "feel" behind on my skin after being applied, but the Corn Huskers sinks right in. I'm not all that worried about my Trumper's bottle running out anytime soon. :)

I have actually been trying this since my Monday shave and it seems to work pretty well. Trumper's Skin Food seems to leave a smoother "feel" behind on my skin after being applied, but the Corn Huskers sinks right in. I'm not all that worried about my Trumper's bottle running out anytime soon. :)

Try "cutting" the CHL with a little more AS or liquid of yo choice.
I find it to be very flexible.
More RNB AS during the summer months.
More CHL Now...a little cooler and more drying.

Top Bottom