What's new

Newbie looking for a STR8 mentor

I suppose I am a fairly typical obsessed guy. I fairly recently got into DE but I have had a long affinity for this type of thing. (Bowl and brush for 15+- years, made the pilgrimage to Jermyn street in London etc. etc.) I am now consistently getting very good shaves with the DE setup, though still working my sampler pack to get the optimal combination. Sounds great - but now I find myself perusing straights!

I am somewhat tempted to "dive in", but I am also intimidated by the cost and learning curve to just try it. (Reminds me of scuba diving!) It looks like I could kit out nicely for $100+- and resell it all if it doesn't work out so the $$ in the end is not an issue. I have already admitted that I am obsessed to my wife and she seems to understand. (For better or for worse and all...)

I find that at times the "group therapy" can be a bit much in these forums when someone needs mentoring. (Entertaining, but having too many opinions can be a bit overwhelming.) I do see the massive value to the group approach when you are looking for an answer in a "anyone ever experienced this issue?" situation though.

So... anyone want to take on a project? BTW - Despite the title - I couldn't care less about your sexual orientation!:tongue:

oops - meant to put this in general str8 razor forum... maybe I need a mentor on how to use the forums too! Anyone know how to move this?

G

I got my first razor (straight razor) when I was 15. I used it to cut all 7 of my whiskers. As I got older I got a better razor and a decent soap/brush. I'm not sure if I’d be a good mentor but I can tell you that shaving with one is not as big of a deal as most think. Just read the "how to's" here on B&B and take it slow. Before you know it you will just consider the straight razor a natural part of your shaving routine.

Also, if you’re worried about hurting yourself, you should know that I've shaved with it drunk, tired, half asleep, and in the dark without a mirror. And I've never cut myself very bad.

but I am also intimidated by the cost and learning curve to just try it.

It doesn't have to be really expensive. You could get a shave ready straight for around 50 bucks (maybe even cheaper) on the B/S/T. It won't be pretty but it should shave well. A Philly Strop from Ruprazor is around 20 bucks. You can make pasted paddles out of balsa wood for around 5 or 6 bucks to maintain your edge longer. Also a properly cared for razor will last a lifetime and pass down. Try a WTB for a starter kit and you may get hooked up. I got a shave ready straight, strop, and some other goodies on the B/S/T for around 50 bucks.:biggrin:

It doesn't have to be really expensive. You could get a shave ready straight for around 50 bucks (maybe even cheaper) on the B/S/T. It won't be pretty but it should shave well. A Philly Strop from Ruprazor is around 20 bucks. You can make pasted paddles out of balsa wood for around 5 or 6 bucks to maintain your edge longer. Also a properly cared for razor will last a lifetime and pass down. Try a WTB for a starter kit and you may get hooked up. I got a shave ready straight, strop, and some other goodies on the B/S/T for around 50 bucks.:biggrin:

Thanks Leche - I scored a really nice W&B and sent it off to be honed by Ken at Rup's. I picked up a philly at the same time so I am in that anxiously awaiting it in the mail stage...

If you have any questions, just pick someone who seems to know what he is doing with a straight and shoot him a PM. I have yet to encounter anyone on B&B who was anything but very helpful.

GregB, if you prefer not to use the forums for your questions or advice you can send a PM. You will get a variety of opinions but they pretty much are all helpful. There might even be a member in Seattle you could hook up with. Best of luck.

Mark

Top Bottom